• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Outlines 7 More Streaming Campaigns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aisuru113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
OMG the Lil'Bits. I wonder how that has held up.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they're digging the bottom of the barrel for what's left at Tezuka and Tatsunoko.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll admit they have some really old titles. Some of which Michie Horie had did OP vocals for.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited to see some of these shows, Temple-chan & Kerokko Demetan have been on my wishlist for awhile now. And Belfy & Lillibit looks nice and cutesy too.

I admit to not having much interest in Kindaichi, Dororo, or Gordian so I'm much more enthusiastic about this next bunch.

I'm still amazed that Kerokko Demetan was previously brought over here for kids. I mean, even in the dub its pretty brutal.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope their campaign is successful with these old titles.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Seems like they're digging the bottom of the barrel for what's left at Tezuka and Tatsunoko.

Considering that even Sam didn't know anything about Temple the Balloonist in the original e-mail, I'm sure these titles were chosen by Tezuka & Tatsunoko themselves. They likely just saw them & thought, "No one's going to ever license these, so let's put them up on Anime Sols since we can."More than likely, the licensing deal Tatsunoko has with Sentai makes getting titles from the 80s & 90s less likely for Anime Sols. I would certainly support the likes of Gold Lightan, Ippatsuman, & Shurato, though.

As for Tezuka Pro, we've gotten a fair share of their stuff already, since they only did TV series on rare occasion as time went on. I'm sure we'll also get more Mushi Pro titles in the future, but right now are starting with the more notable titles like Dororo & Wonder 3, with Goku no Daibouken chosen likely because it's about a story that anime has used often. Hopefully we'll eventually get to titles like Ribon no Kishi (TRSI brought over the dub of Princess Knight, but the original Japanese version may not be licensed by them), Ashita no Joe (the original anime), & OVAs like Blue Sonnet and Notari Matsutaro.

Now, to be fair, I am curious about Space Ace, if only for historical purposes by way of seeing what Tatsunoko's first production was like, and Wonder 3 has my interest because of both Mike Toole's love for it & Shawne Kleckner wanting to release the edited dub eventually. Also, I did see the first episode of Time Bokan once years ago, but the quality of that fansub was really rough so I'd be willing to try it out again with better quality.

Oddly enough, though, I was of age to watch Nick Jr. in the early-90s, yet I don't recall The Lil'Bits at all. I remember David the Gnome, though.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I'm sure we'll also get more Mushi Pro titles in the future, but right now are starting with the more notable titles like Dororo & Wonder 3, with Goku no Daibouken chosen likely because it's about a story that anime has used often.

I'm not sure if it could be the case or not, but all three "new" Tezuka shows on the site have had at least one fansubbed episode in the past.

I wonder why they're snubbing Kimba though? Since the birth of the site it seemed like the 1989 series was a likely candidate and one of the most likely to be successful series from Tezuka. Now that they're doing Mushi titles, they could do the second series/season, "Susume Leo," or even the original Japanese version of the first series, if Right Stuf's license of the English version doesn't prevent them from doing so.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know why this is for America and Canada only? Seems like they are kinda shooting themselves in the foot by locking the rest of the world out.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sloggett wrote:
Anyone know why this is for America and Canada only? Seems like they are kinda shooting themselves in the foot by locking the rest of the world out.
When Sam explained it before, getting international rights for some shows that have been previously licensed in other regions would add additional complexities. I can't recall if region codes, and international shipping and credit card charges were also concerns.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I have incredibly mixed feelings about this. I think having this many campaigns at once will cannibalize pledges a bit, like people have complained about AS in the past.

However, I'm excited to sample this many shows! It's just a little frustrating knowing that we'll probably only get 3 episodes of most of them.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
I have incredibly mixed feelings about this. I think having this many campaigns at once will cannibalize pledges a bit, like people have complained about AS in the past.

I think the streaming drives having both no due date & a flexible pledging option (you can pledge as much as want instead of being forced into specific amounts, like the DVD drives) should reduce the idea of "cannibalizing" pledges.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Geo: There's stuff Sols can still hypothetically get from Tatsunoko which Sentai probably wouldn't touch, like Sket Dance. As for Ashita No Joe, Sam said that TezukaPro has to go through Kodansha for that one. But if they were willing to do the extra work for Dororo, I don't think Joe is any more impossible.

Quote:
I think the streaming drives having both no due date & a flexible pledging option (you can pledge as much as want instead of being forced into specific amounts, like the DVD drives)

Well, yes and no. You don't have to hurry, but Sols is legally only able to exist for a few more years, and will be shut down, if there's no financial incentive to continue it.

F-Man: I thought Right Stuf has Kimba. If you mean the original Jungle Emperor Leo, it could still be stuck with Mushi. Plus, TezukaPro is stubborn enough about letting Americans read the manga.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
pleae don't do all this things at once animesols !!!
I want them to succeed although i want everything from Tezuka the tatsuonko stuff they they are gonna put up here doesn't look all that interesting except for Space ACE.
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Goku no Daiboken is the best looking series Mushi Pro. ever worked on. Of course the average anime fan has garbage taste so it'll struggle to get funded.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the rest of you, but personally, I'm looking forward to Fuusen Shoujo Temple-chan (whose main character, "Temple" may have been named after "Shirley"*; catch my drift?). It's looks like it might be a really great show. "Bokura wa...bokura wa...TABI NO O-N-GAKU-TAI!!" ("We are a traveling band!"). Furthermore, I'm personally going to assume it was Anime Sols who chose this one, even if the main guy in charge hadn't personally heard of it.

Also, "The Lil'Bits"? That spelling is incorrect. That should be "The Littl' Bits" ("'Cause with a littl' bit of love, the world can be a better place for you and me!"). In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing this show as well. BTW, "Belfy" is actually the name of the girl, even though the dub calls her "Lillibit" ("Lilbit" from the Japanese version was renamed "Williebit" [or "Willabit", not sure which] in the dub).

@chrno2: Actually, her name is "Mitsuko" Horie.

*She was was actually called by this name in the French dub ("Shirley, la Petite Fille en Ballon").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2