• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Recovery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I will agree that anime 'cons have, in some respects, essentially just become big parties, as a somewhat older fan (I'm not entirely sure how old Justin is, but I believe I'm in his age range), I actually find that invigorating. I attended nearly all of Anime Central in Chicago this year, which from the sound of it is nowhere near AX's size but still probably the third-biggest in the country (unique attendance 29.7k, gate attendance over 81k), and what consistently amazed me was the energy level that you saw everywhere except in the panel discussions, where people were generally very respectful. That's not something you get at just about any other type of geek culture 'con; gaming conventions, for instance, are rather staid experiences by comparison. At least for me, the costumes - especially such a high percentage of attendees in costume - are a joy to marvel at, too. Of course, it doesn't hurt that these days Acen's staff seems to run a pretty tight ship, as the only organizational quibble I had involved something that the convention hall staff mandated rather than the convention staff.

Now, one thing that might make a difference for me is that trips to anime 'cons have always been solo excursions for me, so the boozing room parties have never been of my scene. But I had a great time this year and wouldn't hesitate to go back next year.

I've been considering attending this one. If it gets your seal of approval, perhaps I will check it out next year. One of my parents' friends was in one of the hotels as the con was starting (for some other business) and she was a bit freaked out by the cos players lol.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(I'm not entirely sure how old Justin is, but I believe I'm in his age range)

Fun fact: Justin is about 6 months younger than me. I'm 34.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
And you guys complain about getting old. I'm twice that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
My favourite mistake by Sentai, because it is so clearly a case of someone blindy running a find&replace operation on an entire script just because they think the word "mama" is someone incomprehensible or offensive to an Americans audience:

(hint: there's no such word as "mom" in Japanese)

I still don't think it quite beats when Pioneer became Geneon and did a global find&replace on their whole website:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20070210175711/http://www.geneonanimemusic.com/products/tenchi1.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
When Funi license rescued the Tenchi series in 2012, they infamously left a typo on the slipcover spine...apparently the franchise's bastard stepchild, Tenchi in Tokyo has it's OWN illegitimate offspring I haven't before heard of, this, um… Tenchi in Toyko

Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
AX to me has always been enjoyable, but my expectations have always been pretty low. I missed out on a few panels I wanted to catch, but most of them didn't draw my interest. I didn't volunteer this year, so I didn't end up missing out while I had to work, but didn't really see much to do. I spent more of my time trying to meet up with my friend there, but cell reception was horrible, and I didn't have a smartphone to take advantage of 3G.

So I do know of AX is pretty badly mismanaged, a lot of extortion happens with the floor, and if the AM2 drama was any indicator, lots of infighting can go on as well. I've had friends just say they should go for-profit, and probably be able to hire full time staff instead of their current volunteer one. Their scope and scale is already way beyond what can be expected from more intimate cons, and their ability to draw guests been burning away every year. But every year they keep things together long enough to pull off a weekend, and a majority of the attendees probably don't feel much of it. They still won't be able to properly update information at the last minute still, because too many people have to be in a loop for that to work. And will still institute rules at the last minute because someone screwed up.
Maokun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Things that Spanish dubs get right:

-Attitude/tone/personality. More often than not, English-speaking voice actors sound emotionally wooden, listless or bored compared to the Japanese original. This is preferable to the alternative, though: the few times when they manage to sound as excited/scared/angry as the Japanese counterpart, it sounds screechy and fake. It's almost as though as their emotional voice gamut could only output CMYK to the Japanese's RGB. Spanish dubs, especially Latin-American ones more often than not nail the emotion and attitude conveyed by the Japanese original.

-Names & lack of censorship. Much mentioned by others already and admittedly, is nowadays less of a differential.

-Localisation: In my opinion, Spanish dubbers are more daring when it comes to replace complex Japanese jokes, puns and word-play with ones that still convey the original meaning while being closer referents to the listener, and as such, striking better the comedic effect. Another poster nailed this when mentioned that the Spanish anime dubbing scene has greatly profited from the large amount of dubbing made my the Latin-American industry of English language content. I've seen, for example, Shrek and episodes of the Simpsons in both languages and it's almost like watching two movies, each as funny as the other.

Things that Spanish dubs get wrong:

-Sloppiness: Depending on the series, different levels of polish can be expected. Card Captor Sakura and InuYasha's were, as far as I know, spotless, while things like Saint Seiya, Ranma, and Captain Tsubasa were such a terrible mess that even my wide-eyed 10-old year self could tell it was bad (as much as I loved those shows).

-Availability: As mentioned by Justin, most of those shows are property of the TV stations, who have zero desire to make home releases of them.

-Quantity and variety: 20 years ago, this item would be in the "Right things" column, when Latin American TV stations basically filled the otherwise dead TV time between lunchtime news and 6 pm variety shows (for the adults arriving from work) with kids' shows, most of it Japanese and Eastern-European fare that I can only presume was extremely cheap to license. As a result, Latin American kids from the 80's-90s clocked hundreds of more hours of anime watching than the Americans and we had access to shows that would only arrive much later (or never) to the States.

However, towards the end of the 90's a wave of privatisation of TV channels and restructuring of schedules and content to compete with the increasingly popular Cable flushed out much of thesecheaply-acquired and unmarketable imports. It also coincided with the coming of age of the kids that were initiated in the TV anime and coalesced into an anime fandom subculture, which (as it is the case with most subcultures in South America) was quickly demonised by the outraged parents (whose same neglect had exposed their kids to that material to begin with) and lobbied against. The end result was that the only anime left in Latin American TVs was only that which had both proved profitability by being mainstream in USA and was kid-friendly enough to keep soccer moms at peace. Since there is not much of a home-release market for anime in Latin America, that's that and anime fans have mostly fansubs to quench their thirst.

Writing this I realised that the current status of anime in Latin America is uncannily similar to the status of anime in North America circa the 90's.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Key wrote:
(I'm not entirely sure how old Justin is, but I believe I'm in his age range)

Fun fact: Justin is about 6 months younger than me. I'm 34.

Oh wow, thanks for that info, I've always wonder the age of you and Justin. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4