• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: M3 the dark metal Episode 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I've watched 8 episode. Is anything interesting going to happen soon? ANYTHING? Seriously... this show is pure angst.

Edit: Watched up to 11. Nope, nothing interesting has happened. This is the worst writing I've seen in a long time.
riceball1759

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out what point they've been trying to make and Ep 12 leaves me more in the dark than ever (pun intended). They add little tidbits of some of their pasts, but every time they do that, it makes it more confusing/frustrating. I'm all about having a positive attitude towards plotlines like this, but I really want to know when they're gonna stop playing around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chipp12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I've watched 8 episode. Is anything interesting going to happen soon? ANYTHING? Seriously... this show is pure angst.

Edit: Watched up to 11. Nope, nothing interesting has happened. This is the worst writing I've seen in a long time.

Rejoice! The plot manages to move in the 13th episode!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Rejoice! The plot manages to move in the 13th episode!

Too late, I dropped it at 12. I have far better anime to watch.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Just watched 10-14...somethings happening! Actually enjoyed these episodes, was close to dropping the series before seeing them.

One thing that I do find strange is why does it only seem to be the spoiler[female cast members that are getting parts of their bodies into dark metal]? It's already been proven, through Akashi's flashbacks, spoiler[that males are also affected...but for the cast, it's just been the girls.]

And, is it just me, or does Maamu seem to write things in her story spoiler[that are predictions of the future]? It's come off that way to me, and it does make me wonder why she can do this.

I'm also enjoying the little interactions between Raika and Iwato.

Was also sad to see spoiler[Sasame go ahead and become a LIM]. I do wonder if we'll see a happy end for everyone for this show. I think that seeing the spoiler[process of becoming a LIM reversed] would seem like a bit of a cop out.

With 10 episodes left, they should be able to reach their ending without rushing it. But, with how the first 14 turned out to be a pretty slow build up...I do have to question their ability to bring about the ending at a good pace.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
After watching ep. 15, they've confirmed what most of us probably guessed already, spoiler[ which is that the girl with the Corpse in the LIghtless Realm (Tsugumi) was one of their group when they were kids, probably was in love with Akashi back then, but everyone forgot about her].

I'm really getting the sense that the ending is gonna have that feeling of a waste of time, in the sense that they're likely going to put a stop to the lightless realm, but you're not going to feel any satisfaction from it because you find out the main cast are mostly if not all horrible people, and that they've basically been the cause of a lot of needless suffering. This show has that all around "bad end" feel to it, and this latest episode doesn't do much to change that.

They've gone out of their way to make it rather obvious that Minashi has been manipulating others, Sasame in particular. spoiler[ The fact that he recognizes Tsugumi right away, coupled with her reaction to him, says he probably has a lot to do with why she's in the lightless realm, if not why the lightless realm exists in the first place]. At the moment it's not easy to see there being many good guys in this series, just sort of less-bad guys. No righteous heroes, or even reluctant heroes, only protagonists and their antagonists.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Just watched 15th episode (well, the 1st half) written by out favourite drama (club) queen MariOkarta (yeah, she wasn't writing every single episode - just 1-2, 5, 11 & 15) and I guess that's it for me. I'm done.
riceball1759

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know what to think of this anime... other than about dropping it. There is an unnecessary melodrama that's been building up and I think that's what's really getting on my nerves. I just feel bad stopping more than halfway through. I hope they'll finally reveal this big "sin" in the next episode because everything seems to be moving in that direction, but they want to keep me/us in agony. -___-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I am actually watching it through the videos posted here, and on episode 15 I would say that it has improved in my mind. I quite enjoyed the atmosphere being done in the episode, something that it can kind of do well if it chooses to use the right sound or music effects.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
They've gone out of their way to make it rather obvious that Minashi has been manipulating others, Sasame in particular. spoiler[ The fact that he recognizes Tsugumi right away, coupled with her reaction to him, says he probably has a lot to do with why she's in the lightless realm, if not why the lightless realm exists in the first place]. At the moment it's not easy to see there being many good guys in this series, just sort of less-bad guys. No righteous heroes, or even reluctant heroes, only protagonists and their antagonists.

I agree, there aren't many "good heroes" in this show. Well, I do like Raika and Iwato. I'm just waiting to watch them two get ripped to shreds. Laughing

I would also say that Sasame has been a bit manipulative towards Akashi. Episode 14 showed a scene that spoiler[makes me think Sasame took on some of Tsugumi's characteristics, mainly in having a similar hairstyle and singing the corpse song (no idea what it's called). I think she knew how Akashi felt towards Tsugumi.]

Doing so is why Akashi got so attached to Sasame. His memory isn't all there, so he filled in some blanks due to her influence. And, Sasame and Minashi seemed to be the two that remembered more than the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if she did manipulate Akashi on some level.

On Minashi, I've always found him a bit creepy. With everything that happens around them, he always manages to be smiling. He also seemed to know a lot more than the others.

So, episode 15 finally gives us the spoiler[first male cast member turning into dark metal.] Good episode, probably the best one of the series (not like that really says much). Will stick with this one. I've been interested in the mysteries in this series, but just now there seems to be some pay off coming.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16 finally gets some story movement.

Minashi's character makes a little more sense now, although there are still a tone of questions too, spoiler[particularly why he and Sasame didn't ever just go back and talk to Tsugumi].

I agree with you, Ali07. spoiler[Although we're still not clear on how much Sasame remembered after everything happened, at the moment it does seem like she deliberately tried to emulate Tsugumi, and the flashbacks they show suggest she was jealous of her. I'll still leave open the possibility that she, like Akashi, lost parts of her memory and filled in the blanks, leading to the similarities between her and Tsugumi.]

These last two episodes have definitely been improvements, although it still seems to be trying too hard to play coy with the audience, the melodrama is frustrating, and the characters in general seem to all lack some basic common sense. spoiler[I can't wait for that pretentious a-hole of a doctor to bite it. They teased us with it this episode but they still saved him.]

I usually stick out most anime I start, even if they're terrible, so I was probably ever going to drop this one. But, at least it's heading in the right direction now.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Just got around to checking out episodes 16 and 17.

Guess my whole manipulation deal with the look and song went right out the window with episode 16! I say this because spoiler[Tsugumi and Sasame being sisters would probably lead to looking similar. As for the song, it seems to be one that their tribe sings.] So, I don't think there was any manipulation.

As for my interpretation of the flashbacks, I think that it was actually spoiler[Tsugumi that was jealous of the attention that Sasame was getting from Akashi when they were kids].

Honestly didn't see the origin of the Lightless Realm coming, but (ep17 spoilers coming) spoiler[must say that Tsugumi being somewhat of a villain] is…underwhelming. Not only because I find the build up to the reveal to be short, when this series has moved along so slowly…mainly because I find the motivation shallow. Never like motivations based on what, in my opinion, are spoiler[delusional thoughts].

Iwaito and Raika still providing some lighter moments. Was worried for a bit…but I'm unsure if they're out of the woods. Just doesn't seem like a show where anyone will escape unharmed.

While this show was very slow during the first 13 episodes, I was still kept interested in aspects of it. I can understand why people dropped it. In the last 4 episodes, I think we've seen more plot development than in the previous 13. Laughing
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
"YOU WILL, TO THE BIRTH CRY OF THE END"

what
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
It's so sad that this show sucked for so long, because the second half of it has been fantastic.

I guess though if you had altered the story to not withhold info for so long and leaked it out slowly throughout the whole show it probably wouldn't have been as good as a whole 24 episodes as the 2nd half has been on it's own.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Just finished this one. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a friendship/love wins the day type ending. It also being the cure was a surprise.

I do think that the 2nd half was a vast improvement on the 1st. Though, I'd say that the best of the series was probably the last 8 or so episodes. The one thing that didn't click with me was Akashi's change from little depressed boy to boy who loves his friends. It just felt a bit too forced, seemed to be something that happened a bit in the background to only come to the fore in the last couple of episodes.

Guess that the events that lead to it were there, but there was no build up along the way. At least, that is how it felt to me. Rather than it happening little by little, it felt more like he just had an epiphany. Which, with how the character's arc was going, wasn't something that fit in with how I viewed the character.

I'm happy that the sense of dread I felt around Iwato and Raika was unfounded. Laughing

And, in the last episode, it was strange to see Heito so happy in his hospital bed. spoiler[Was he only ever after a teddy bear]? For a character that was so disturbed, it seemed to make him seem extremely happy and sane. Laughing

Anyway, if this show hadn't done a whole song and dance while keeping everything dark and mysterious, it would've been much better. For, in my eyes, a show that wasted 12 episodes, we didn't get a whole heap of background for all the characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2