• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Today in History: Kiki's Delivery Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
たんじょうび おめぢとうございます。
Tanjoubi omeditougozaimasu!
Happy Birthday!
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I love that make. It's an interest read.
Thanks.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A live action adaptation of the original novel, and the sequel novel (which was release after the anime) was released in Japan on March 1, 2014. Unfortunately the live-action movie was panned by critics in Japan and America alike.

I don't recall any bad reviews (ie. I don't recall any reviews) of the live-action Kiki in the US? Was there a release? Confused

Although I don't dispute it was probably bad--
The Ghibli Kiki--even against Miyazaki's other attempts to parse western children's stories (ahemhowlscastle)--just worked so well and intuitively, I remember when Disney came out with their historic dub in '99, just as the rest of Disney was hitting its troubles with Eisner-hate and audiences fed up with the Renaissance Formula:
Every review for Disney's dub VHS pointed out how much more laid-back, upbeat and storytelling Miyazaki's movie was compared to the corny melodrama in Disney films (like Pocahontas and Hunchback) that had set in after Lion King--One review said, "If Disney had made Kiki, Kiki would have had to rescue Tombo in the middle of a raging thunderstorm..."

And then I saw the JP trailer for the live-action Kiki...Where Kiki rescues Tombo in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. Rolling Eyes
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Kiki is my favourite movie. Not just my favourite anime movie, but my favourite fullstop.

It's one of the few cases as well where I can't decide if I prefer the original Japanese (with English subs) or the Disney dub. In particular, Phil Hartmann's performance as Jiji is inspired, and I feel the extra dialogue they gave to him really worked.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kadono was very unhappy with the changes to the script, and the project was almost cancelled.

I don't think that today either authors or the adapting staff actually care this much about the changes to the original story.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Loved this movie. Smile
Nami_Swan99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
No way, Kiki's delivery service is 25 years old. Smile I've seen that movie 3 times and still love it. Cool
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
First time I saw this movie was when Miyazaki most recently announced his retirement (which seems to be sticking). The Astor Theatre in Melbourne put together 4 double feature sessions on Mondays. Unfortunately, I only made 3 Mondays, and missed the 4th which had Princess Mononoke as one of the movies (a movie I've yet to see and really want to).

After seeing Laputa, Totoro, Nausicaa, Howl's, Spirited Away, and Kiki's...Kiki was one that really stuck with me, the other was Laputa. I had already seen Nausicaa, Howl's, and Spirited Away before. So Kiki's, Laputa and Totoro were all new to me.

The double feature I missed out on, which was the last Monday of the 4, was Ponyo and Mononoke. Really should get around to seeing those...
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
They coupled Ponyo with Princess Mononoke? Man, that's a harsh tonal shift, given Ponyo's complete and utter childish innocence followed by a movie where someone is possessed by black, slimy tentacles that makes his shootin' arm take people's arms or heads clean off.

Reminds me that when Norway had its little stint with releasing Ghibli movies -- well, mostly Miyazaki's -- they gave Princess Mononoke the age rating of seven and up. I should have bought and watched it, to see if they edited out all the violence and oily blood. And the talk about lepers and ex-prostitutes.
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Kiki is my favourite Miyazaki film, even though I'm far, far away from being it's intended audience. It hits quite close to home, despite not being a pre-adolescent girl myself.

I enjoyed the original written stories too as they're of a different nature and more aimless (in a good way), but Miyazaki was definitely right to switch it up for the film. And as it was Ghibli's first big success, everyone else agreed. Apart from the original author. Smile
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Kiki is my favourite movie. Not just my favourite anime movie, but my favourite fullstop.

It's one of the few cases as well where I can't decide if I prefer the original Japanese (with English subs) or the Disney dub. In particular, Phil Hartmann's performance as Jiji is inspired, and I feel the extra dialogue they gave to him really worked.

Same here! Very Happy Kiki's Delivery Service was my first Miyazaki movie, and I was absolutely floored when I first watched it. At the time it was also a bit nostalgic for me, since I had lived in Europe for a few years when I was young, then moved back to the United States, and in a way maybe I was still kind of missing my old home and could identify with Kiki's character a bit.

I love the songs performed by Sydney Forest, I think they're a bit more cheery and uplifting than the Japanese songs, and it's really a shame the newer releases omit them altogether. I also think the English dialogue better matches with the world Kiki lives in (the Japanese kind of carries with it some of the culture, which maybe contrasts a bit too much with the setting for my tastes). I recall reading an interview with Miyazaki where he mentioned that he was trying to tailor the movie to a young generation of Japanese girls finding identity in modern Japan (something to that effect), and maybe that message comes through a lot stronger in the Japanese version, so I sort of prefer the more universal feel of the English version (I guess I'm not too keen on being able to sense an author's voice too much in a work, it takes away from the immersion).

Anywho, Happy 25th Anniversary Kiki! Very Happy
dudebro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
The Disney dub is atrocious. It makes unjustified changes to the story, and Jiji is turned into a stereotypical comedic sidekick, no doubt to bring the character more in line with American animation norms. If Ghibli hadn't specified that cuts are not allowed, guess what Disney would have done?
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Uh, AND Phil Hartman I might add.

Pretty sure I have a copy of this when TCM did a marathon of Ghibli movies a while back. Need to re-watch this sometime.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
They coupled Ponyo with Princess Mononoke? Man, that's a harsh tonal shift, given Ponyo's complete and utter childish innocence followed by a movie where someone is possessed by black, slimy tentacles that makes his shootin' arm take people's arms or heads clean off.

Laughing Yeah, they were coupled together. I guess that they weren't too worried about any younger audience members sticking around after Ponyo. And, anyone that was going would've had at least a months notice...allowing for them to mentally prepare for a tonal shift. Laughing

The 3 Mondays I went, the session started out packed and then was pretty much half empty when the 2nd feature was starting. Kiki's was one movie that was played to a half empty theatre. The school holidays were already over, and the 2nd movie was usually starting at around 10pm.

Those Mondays did kind of leave me dead on Tuesdays, as I was getting home at about 1.30am and then struggling to fall asleep. Laughing
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
dudebro wrote:
The Disney dub is atrocious. It makes unjustified changes to the story, and Jiji is turned into a stereotypical comedic sidekick, no doubt to bring the character more in line with American animation norms. If Ghibli hadn't specified that cuts are not allowed, guess what Disney would have done?

The recent DVD/Bluray release fixed most of those edits. Are you referring to Jiji's line at the end? They changed it back to how he became a regular cat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2