• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Oh spoiler[Kobushi you silly goose. She fell for Rinka's dad? LOL] I'm kinda eh on this show now. While it retains some decent amount of comedy, I'm not too impressed by the direction of the story. The way the comedy is done does catch my attention though.

Also, is that a special ED song? Not bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Rinka displayed some nice powers again.
Looks like she's not that scared girl anymore.
Murasaki rescue operation was a success.
Of course things didn't go smoothly.
That penguin showed his teeth & his temper, nice!
The Minami girl showed a hole bunch of interesting stuff.
It left me with a bunch of questions..
Kuroi seems to have become a part of their team.
She obviously likes Rinka's dad quite a lot.
Kyotaro & Minami obviously have a past.
It was nice to learn more about it.
So Murasaki did develop a power, just not anything flashy..
It could come in handy though..
Appearance of the Professor was intriguing.
Can't wait to see what'll happen next time!]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Boy if I didn't know any better I'd swear this was a light novel adaptation, not a manga one. They really barreled their way through a lot of stuff. As such the emotions feel a bit cheap since there hasn't really been enough time for them to earn it. Perhaps worst of all is that the action was sub-par too.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Today's "this reminds me of..." is brought to you by... Zetman.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
^
If you're talking about in the sense of "teens aspiring to be heroes of justice" then I can maybe see the comparison. Otherwise, though, this and Zetman are utterly different.

Rather liked episode 4, but I've always been partial to the "seeing how the team comes together" approach, and I think they're doing a very good job with it here. I liked the twists and how the backgrounds of the characters are being progressively interwoven, and if the spoiler[scene with the ring] doesn't achieve a strong emotional resonance, it at least wasn't a total failure on that front and the series does enough else right that I can overlook a relatively minor flaw.

EDIT: Really not seeing any problem with the pacing, either. Unless this is going to be a two cour series, it seems to be pacing just right to get back to its starting point for episode 12 or 13.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
When your arc boss spoiler[gets taken down in five seconds by a penguin without much of a fight], you might have rushed pacing on your hands.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was specifically talking about the cutting and jumping and overall storytelling pacing. It feels very "get to the next plot point" to me.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
When your arc boss spoiler[gets taken down in five seconds by a penguin without much of a fight], you might have rushed pacing on your hands.

To be more accurate, spoiler[he got depowered by the penguin, not "taken down." Besides, calling him an "arc boss" is giving him too much credit; I thought it was pretty clear that his role was secondary to what else was going on, and he was never meant to be a major foe.] So yeah, I don't buy any of that as evidence of pacing problems. Still think the series is doing just fine for what it's doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
spoiler[Besides, calling him an "arc boss" is giving him too much credit]

He was in the manga.

In three episodes they've burned through 10 chapters. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a monthly manga, meaning each chapter is 40-50 pages long. Naturally a lot of stuff has been cut out and it's clear they want to hurry up and get to what we saw in episode one.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
How much characters are prioritized sometimes changes for anime adaptations; that's well-known. That he isn't prioritized that much here is all that really matters.

So let me requalify my earlier statement: speaking as someone who's never read the manga, I don't think the series is particularly rushing things.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
As far as pacing goes, they are more or less done with Vol 2 of the manga, out of a little over six volumes that are likely to make it into the first run of the series, so 4 episodes, 1/3 of the way in, sounds about right, although the first episode was technically outside the scope of the manga. I imagine they'll pad out the back portion a bit, when they have all the players on the field.

Btw, is it just me, or is the barkeeper guy they're staying with based on Steven Segal?
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Btw, is it just me, or is the barkeeper guy they're staying with based on Steven Segal?

Funny, I thought the exact same thing.
As for the pacing I am in agreement with Key that I don't have any real issues with it, but as also stated that might be because I do not read manga and therefore am not comparing it to any preconceived notions on how it should progress. Just taking it on its own merits I am enjoying it. There is enough action and also enough questions I'd like to see answered to keep me invested.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I’m honestly a little pissed off that the red head girl got redeemed so easily this episode even though she’s been nothing but a self serving prick so far. The "in love with her dad" thing is a horrible reason to suddenly make her join them. I mean she even let Rinka’s house get burned down for heaven’s sake even though tons of people could have died if her Wolverine dad wasn’t there. Sure she wasn't actually the one to burn it but she sure got a kick out of all those people who could have potentially gotten burned alive! Yet she simply joins the group with very little angst against her. It’s pretty stupid. Did anyone remind them that she was part of the operation to kidnap Murasaki? Or is that suddenly cool too?

That said I thought the pacing was better this episode though still off at times. I like how the fire guy shows up for ten seconds, gets beat and boom! On to the next scene. Felt really pointless.

I also have problems with Murasaki’s reasons for moving out. It’s pretty dang obvious that her father loves her and would never treat her as a monster. There wasn’t anything wrong with the line he said. He was just as surprised as anyone else would be if they saw what he saw (plus the last person he saw with powers stole his daughter away so he has reasonable angst against them imo). Sure the business he does is shady, but he does everything in his power to make sure his daughter isn’t involved. He isn’t the best dad but he isn’t a bad one either in my opinion. It really feels like she just moved out on a whim and nothing more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Mm, some spoiler[back stories this episode. I guess that works out somewhat. I don't like that new Kozuki girl though. On the other hand, Azuma is an awesome character in this series so far.] Only other thing that I found a bit annoying is the censorship. Maybe they will remove that from the BD or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Rinka meets the spoiler[Professor.]
He even has similar powers to Xavier LOL
So spoiler[Peggy is a collector.]
He is the one responsible for the spoiler[appearance of the glowing fish.]
Rinka got an interesting offer from him.
Interesting that he's connected to spoiler[our Azuma.]
Short background info was nice.
The spoiler[flying ship] came at a very convenient time for Rinka.
It was like a public announcement that spoiler[espers are real.]
Damn, spoiler[Kyotaro & that surprise arrow attack.
Kobushi & Kyotaro got themselves into ESP trouble.
Luckily Rinka showed up at just the right time.
Professor is obviously a madman with nothing good planned.]

Things are heating up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10