• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Pain in the Neck

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This week Answerman was interesting to read. Yeah I can understand Canadian fans frustration but what can you do. Sad

Also about D-VHS, for some of you that are not familiar with it, read it on Wikipedia. Yeah I can see why it failed on the market.

Regarding the other question, I have nothing to add to it. But this week Answerman was very interesting to read.
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the person asking about tapes is a young person with an infatuation with the concept of tape but has ever actually experienced a VCR?
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
On streaming from a blocked region: does the ethical equation change if you pay for it? For example, a number of Canadian Netflix subscribers use VPNs and other tools to get access to the much larger US catalog. Is that particularly ethically shaky? Both Netflix and some holder of the streaming rights are still getting paid, though maybe not the Canadian rights holder.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I wonder if the person asking about tapes is a young person with an infatuation with the concept of tape but has ever actually experienced a VCR?

hm, that could be a possibility. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Vandeilo asks:

You say that video masters are stored on magnetic tapes, not dissimilar to VHS tapes.

IMO one significant difference is that HDCAM is digital instead of analog like the original VHS.

Quote:
Most masters are sent to American companies on hard drives these days. Many of them don't even have HDCam decks, and when they get a tape, they have to hire an outside company to get them transferred to files.

Ah, I was literally just going to send in this question! I had read about files being sent on hard drives a few years ago and I wondered if that practice had continued.

Quote:
There is a huge problem with digital preservation right now, as there's no really good, solid way to keep the huge amounts of data preserved for a long time. Replicated DVDs and Blu-rays, for all their faults, are as good as we're going to get for a while, in that regard. In that way, the consumer formats are a ways ahead of the professional ones.

Have you see this?
Sony, Panasonic Announce Archival Disc Standard Coming in 2015
They plan to start at 300GB per disc and go up to 1TB
ryboom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are the critics of the show being too harsh, considering its low budget and tiny staff? Maybe, maybe not. But let me ask you another question: why does it matter? Why do you care what these other people think?

Public opinion of a show matters. If enough people like a show, we'll get more of it, we'll get merchandise for it, we'll have communities built around it, etc. It's completely logical for fans to want to maximize the cultural imprint of a show they like.

This site spends a lot of time defending anime in general and touting its virtues, odd behavior if what people think doesn't matter.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
ryboom wrote:

Public opinion of a show matters. If enough people like a show, we'll get more of it, we'll get merchandise for it, we'll have communities built around it, etc. It's completely logical for fans to want to maximize the cultural imprint of a show they like.

This site spends a lot of time defending anime in general and touting its virtues, odd behavior if what people think doesn't matter.

The difference is general opinion versus individual opinion. Yes, the general consensus matters. It drives marketing decisions for an individual show and shows in the same genre. However, the general opinion should be irrelevant to the individual. If I find Sword Art Online only so-so, but really enjoy Itsudatte My Santa, then the opinions of others should not matter.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if I get assigned a trial on Friday and end up on the jury, I might be indisposed for another week yet.

And that's if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, you could be there for months. Though they usually grill you before they decide if they'll take you.

Quote:
It's really really frustrating, especially during summer when everybody wants to do things.

Even if you don't wanna do things, you also don't want to be stuck going there during hot weather. Though one time, I was hoping they wouldn't call me in, because it was the week of Christmas, and they called my bluff, and forced me to show up, anyway. Mad

Quote:
So I'm curious as to why shows like Parasyte and Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro!! are being made.

Parasyte's probably being made, 'cus I complained to Kodansha's rep about the similar premise between that Twilight chick's The Host and it. That, and one of the Ants in Hunter x Hunter is clearly a rip-off one of the villains from Parasyte. As for why Matsutaro got made, I think it's more about Toei trying to expand beyond its shonen and Pretty Cure lines, because the company hasn't been associated with something not for children in ages.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

I wish more old manga would get anime adaptions... still praying for a Battle Angel Alita or Gunsmith Cats series.
Hawkmoth

I set up a US PSN account so I could download the Crunchroll app for PS3, which is not available in the UK.

No remorse. Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
I wish more old manga would get anime adaptions... still praying for a Battle Angel Alita or Gunsmith Cats series.

I'd adore a full adaptation of the Gunsmith Cats manga, Goldie and everything. The anime OVA was pretty good, but there's just so much more to the stuff in the manga. I wouldn't count on it, though. I don't think it made a big splash in either NA or Japan, and it's been way too many years for anybody to care anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ryboom wrote:
Quote:
Are the critics of the show being too harsh, considering its low budget and tiny staff? Maybe, maybe not. But let me ask you another question: why does it matter? Why do you care what these other people think?

Public opinion differs from critical opinion which differs from actual sales. No offense to ANN's staff but what they say doesn't exactly matter when it comes to anime in the long run. Shows they praise can sell poorly and never get more episodes and shows they bash can sell thousands and get sequel after sequel. Opinion doesn't account for much in animeland, only sales

RWBY is an special case since it's an American web series though. I'm not sure how RWBY makes its money (streaming ads?) If so even if people bash if if they end up watching it to mock it and contributing to the ad revenue then it'll get more made. That's how some people make their living, doing controversial click-baity things so people watch and view their stuff so they get money.

I think people care more about what RWBY represents than what it is, though. Yeah it's a low budget CG thing, but it represents what every young DeviantArtist or Tumblrite dreams of: making their own anime (not really, but they see it as anime) so they'll love it and support it out of that reason alone I've seen around the web. It gives people hope one day they too can turn their stuff into something that maybe will stream on Crunchyroll as well.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

hm, that could be a possibility. Laughing

I myself grew up solidly in the tape age and prefer them in every way except for their visual fidelity. I'd be a lot happier personally if HD tapes were the thing rather than disks.

For a tape, you just put it in the tape player and press play. With DVD/BD, you have to muck about with menus and unskippable intros and previews and stuff like that.

For tapes, even if they had previews, you could just fast forward past them, not rewind before them, or copy the tape and cut them off.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Have you see this?
Sony, Panasonic Announce Archival Disc Standard Coming in 2015
They plan to start at 300GB per disc and go up to 1TB

It's nice to see things move forward. What about storing material on large SSDs in the future, once they can hold more material and are cheaper?

And everything wrong with discs is fixed if you have a digital file. Now it's just the pure video with no menus, previews, FBI warnings, or other bullshit.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
For a tape, you just put it in the tape player and press play. With DVD/BD, you have to muck about with menus and unskippable intros and previews and stuff like that.

For tapes, even if they had previews, you could just fast forward past them, not rewind before them, or copy the tape and cut them off.

Strange why modern video files widely used on the internet haven't adopted most of those features. Oh wait...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5