• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Great Yamato #0 Volume 1 Streamed Online for Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's fairly disheartening that I'm the only person to comment on a new Yamato series. I mean, GATSU hasn't even posted anything here yet.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I provisionally like it (the provision being that it's untranslated). The new Yamato looked good. Updated, but still iconic. I loved the Matsumoto designs. I hope we get to see the rest.
Ensign Mallory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Be not disheartened my friend! I'm sure there are more Yamato friends out there and when they learn of the new series, the party shall surely begin! It's gonna take forever for the dvd's to make it to the states tho. Sad Can u believe the new ship!
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Ensign Mallory wrote:
Can u believe the new ship!

I dig the Arcadia wings, they're a great touch, but the saucer section just seems a bit... off.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, based on this unsubtitled feed, this looks pretty terrible. Has Matsumoto lost his touch, or what? There doesn't seem to be an introduction, everything is happening in one area, and it's mostly shots of poorly animated CGI ships and long conversations. The voice actors are obnoxious, the characters themselves seem obnoxious, some of the designs are awful, and the character designs, while the usual Leijiverse fare, are somehow worse than usual. The music is grating and unworthy of a Matsumoto work - although perhaps fitting for this abortion. Even the streaming video quality is poor. So disappointing - what a waste of 45 minutes.

I love Leiji Matsumoto work, but this is an abomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WEKS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Whole lot of barking.

Cheer up emo kid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
WEKS wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Whole lot of barking.

Cheer up emo kid.

What? What does that even mean? I was giving my honest criticism of Yamato 0 , based on what I could see and hear. I fail to see how "emo" factors into this whatsoever.

"Emo" as a blanket term for anyone who dislikes something or says something that can be interpreted as complaining is highly overrated, anyway. It's obnoxious and insulting to the points of view of others. You lose all credibility by using it.

Also, the use of the word "kid" is also inappropriate, as I'm 23 years old.

Admit it, you were just browsing through topics so you could use that expression to antagonize somebody. You have no point of view on this topic whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like it. It reminds me of Captain Herlock. I think Leji's style actually looks better in current animation than in the old stuff. The CG ships were a bit annoying, but that's the only complaint I had.
Mykelti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see it, but the character art and slim pickin's (from the Japanese site) are nice indeed!

What I'd LOVE to know from you fans is: what became of the last "Yamato" series from '96/'97? -The one where the kids find the ship in a huge scrap-heap? (I only saw 3/4 import episodes back then)

*goes watches "Galaxy Railways" feverishly*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1