• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi Score Girl Manga Recalled After SNK's Copyright Charges

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
So a manga that feature characters having fun playing your game and so advertising it and is popular enough to get an anime and your response is to call the police (sigh).

"Looks at SNK's financials"

Oh wow there terrible (LOL)

Hey Square just buy SNK it'll only cost you $30 million.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This is one weird deal, if they haven't already been booted out the door then somewhere in the bowels of Square Enix there's a poor soul sweating bullets because they did not do the legwork and get SNK's official permission to use their video game characters.

Face Palm Sad.

Mark Gosdin
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
SNK Playmore should be glad their games got mentioned as a parody, it's probably why their mobilecrap is selling. That exposure probably was keeping them on life support.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
So a manga that feature characters having fun playing your game and so advertising it and is popular enough to get an anime and your response is to call the police (sigh).

King of Fighters was a great franchise Sad
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
@mgosdin

You have to remember that (before the bubble popped) Japan used to be a place where some instructions written on the back of a business card used to be enough to legitimize business deals (or so I have heard). But old customs die hard (specially in a country like Japan) and I think that asking for a written permission might have been interpreted by an old boss as disrespect and now, years later said boss is probably out of favor.

If later on SNK asks for a ridiculous amount in damages I will be inclined to think they are forcing SE to buy them (which would be cheaper than paying said damages) so that the actual owners can run away with money in their pockets from the sinking ship SNK represents.
ragz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't make sense as all other publisher said they gave consent. It's not like SNK got request and said no but mangaka continued anyway. They said they didn't get request but all other companies did, and I feel it weird mangaka would single out SNK and say "LOL no asking you!". So most likely someone at SNK got the request, and said "oh sure, no problem, go ahead", then didn't file the paperwork or otherwise goofed.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
ragz wrote:
It doesn't make sense as all other publisher said they gave consent. It's not like SNK got request and said no but mangaka continued anyway. They said they didn't get request but all other companies did, and I feel it weird mangaka would single out SNK and say "LOL no asking you!". So most likely someone at SNK got the request, and said "oh sure, no problem, go ahead", then didn't file the paperwork or otherwise goofed.

I agree. There is something very wierd going on here. All the other game companies have given consent but not SNK??? Seems like it's more to do with wanting a bigger slice of the anime adaption pie.

It's a really pity all this is going down because it's such an awesome manga.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
They even showed Mortal Kombat in the manga, which I wonder whether or not they got permission to do that as well.

I like Hi-Score Girl alot, I think it's a really good manga with a good concept, but if SNK didn't give them permission, then they should respect their wishes.

I am a huge fan of SNK... but the SNK-Playmore of today is but a shell of what the real SNK used to be up until they went bankrupt.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

It's the difference between someone borrowing your car and someone just outright taking. So what if they brought it back with a full tank, it's still stealing. SE got permission for the other images, but not from SNK. Probably it was a huge oversight, but that doesn't make it OK. I'd call the police, too.

I do laugh when I see reports like this and read that the police "searched the office". What exactly is there to search for? Do they think they'll find the characters tied up in the back office or something? Seems more likely that they questioned the office rather than searched it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ushio wrote:

nobody buys KoF.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Yep, and I see the recalled manga being worth a lot of money on auctions and black market to desperate fan that want the manga with the SNK's character cameo.

Emerje wrote:

I do laugh when I see reports like this and read that the police "searched the office". What exactly is there to search for? Do they think they'll find the characters tied up in the back office or something? Seems more likely that they questioned the office rather than searched it.

Emerje

Yeah I found that headline title to be misleading too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It's the difference between someone borrowing your car and someone just outright taking. So what if they brought it back with a full tank, it's still stealing. SE got permission for the other images, but not from SNK. Probably it was a huge oversight, but that doesn't make it OK. I'd call the police, too.

In the light of the news that SNK is planning a new King of Fighters game this whole thing seems very suspicious. Did they really not get permission? Is this all manufactured by SNK to promote the new game???
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Ushio wrote:

nobody buys KoF.

Pretty sure SNK's making most of its money off the pachinko industry. In fact SNK's been hiring and expanding staff for a while now. Soooooooooooooooooooo obviously they ain't that broke.

And KOF outsold Marvel. Nyuk nyuk.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

King of FIghters IS a great franchise.

Spotlesseden wrote:
nobody buys KoF.

Lots of people buy KOF, I bought KOFXIII. And KOFXIII is a cornerstone of the current fighting came competitive scene. Its not as high profile as Street Fighter, or ever Persona 4 Arena. But its hardly irrelevant.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Emerje wrote:

In the light of the news that SNK is planning a new King of Fighters game this whole thing seems very suspicious. Did they really not get permission? Is this all manufactured by SNK to promote the new game???

1) I doubt SE would be asking for a recall if this was something SNK manufactured. Halting publication until things get settled is one thing, asking people to return them is something all together different.

2) The timing is way off if this had anything at all to do with the new game. The new KOF isn't even in the planning stages and probably at least two years away from release. if SNK was saying this to generate press for the game then that's when they would be doing it, not now when the effect wouldn't benefit anything.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2