• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under the Dog Sci-Fi Anime Kickstarter Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
hanasaku and tempest being in my top 25 from the last 5 years, Hanasaku specifically being in my top 15 favorites, I really like that director. Then I see who is writing the story and designing the characters...yeah, I want this, far more than any other KS project right now
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am definitely going to fund this later. This looks and sounds pretty fantastic. I'm digging what they've shown by now. I really hope they make their goal because I'd love to see this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
Is it known whether it'll be a single-, double- or split-cour?

It's a single 24 minute episode. This is known to everyone who read the first sentence of the article.

Their stretch goals list more are possible. 1.16 million will get a prequel episode, 1.74m will get 2 extra episodes for a total of 3, and 5m will change it to a feature length film.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
They're going to really struggle to even get their base goal. I'm guessing that they're really overestimating the anime fanbase by judging it off their very successful Project Phoenix video game kickstarter.

Still, I backed it. Trailer looked good enough and I like seeing the anime industry take another crack at crowdfunding.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Man those character designs are nice ( then again I do really like his work). This sounds cool, but those tiers are a dilemma. I'd love a physical copy, but 100 is way to much for my budget. Theres the 20 one, but I ain't too keen on digital copies. Decisions decisions.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I wasn’t particularly impressed by either Hanasaku Iroha or Blast of Tempest, although that was probably more an issue with the writing than actual directing. Still, seeing as Masahiro Ando’s other work is focused on Key animation & storyboards, with only the odd single episode directing credits, there really isn’t enough for me to put much faith in.

Masahiro Ando does have one other directing credit you should look at: Sword of the Stranger. I think it does a pretty solid job establishing him as an action director at least.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
"Under the Dog" makes it sound like a bestiality flick. Anywho, I like the background designs, they look like the type of thing I wish Shinkai would do more of. I also dig all of that cleavage the preview shows off.

This is how you advertise a Kickstarter, you already have a full trailer ready to go so backers can actually grow their expectations and want to contribute. I don't think Harmony Gold grasped this with Robotech Academy.

While I do agree it does sound like a bestiality flick, I was hoping it would be a dog anime.

You don't often a Scandinavian character in anime.

After a few pay checks have been put into the bank, I think I'll pledge the $100.

The fact that Kickstarter has had some successful anime shorts I think is appropriate for this project since Anthea means "blossom" in Greek.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this Trailer, hopefully this project gets the proper funds that it needs.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn. And I'm a bit short on money this month. Hope I will get my next salary before it ends.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the international cast of characters is pretty cool. In that sense and in terms of scifi setting and story idea it kind of feels like something that would have been somewhat likely to get greenlit in regular fashion a bit more often in the past with some of the other rather international feeling series popping up at least somewhat more frequently, though they still do pop up from time to time ofcourse.

fathomlessblue wrote:
Still, seeing as Masahiro Ando’s other work is focused on Key animation & storyboards, with only the odd single episode directing credits, there really isn’t enough for me to put much faith in.

In addition to those he's also directed others like, somewhat similarly to this, the action heavy Cannan series and he's also directly directed full anime movies like the awesome (atleast IMO) Sword of the Stranger.

As azabaro said, I really like him a lot as an action series/movie director.

I'm a bit surprised by the jump in tier between 50 to 100, I think a slightly cheaper physical tier if they'd done like a regular and limited edition version in between the 50 and 100 tiers could have helped get some more on the fence backers like some of the other anime kickstarters have done.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The premise sounds, so far, fairly similar to Gunslinger Girl, although I hope they really stress the characterization more the plot. It looks like they're planning on plenty of action, so to really elevate it above the usual action flick, they need to make the characters individuals rather than collections of stereotypes. Based on Jiro Ishii's credits, the team might be up to this task, but it'll be tough (to be fair, that's because it is). I'd love to see more anime on KS though, I very much agreed with the folks who said that KS is way to circumvent the clichés demanded by production committees. Pandering to stereotypes makes the investment "safer", but also restricts how much they can reach for.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm contributing more so because of Ando's work on Sword of the Stranger than his other directing work. Not really a fan of anything else he's directed other than SotS.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I have my doubts if they can reach their goal, and the stretch goals just seem unrealistic to me. Little Witch Academia raised a little more than what this is asking for, and I'm unsure if this premise is as popular as cute witch girls in the anime community. I wish them luck, though.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that some people are commenting about higher-than-usual stretch goal. Whether it's $150K or $500K, let anime studios to keep money for themselves, not some production committees. I think it makes us look petty when we comment about their stretch goal. Japanese studios are known being efficient with their budget, so let's be generous with money as dedicated fans, not with lip service.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
I'll give $35, as that's what I would imagine being willing to pay for a special/feature/OVA/one-episode thing. Yuusuke Kozaki's awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4