• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Film Trailer Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koopa_beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
'It's not like the budget for Innocence is more than Ghibli movies. It cost 2 billion yen. Ponyo cost 3 billion yen. Mononoke cost 2.4 billion. Spirited cost 1.9 billion, yet they ALL look under-detailed. People always compare Disney to Ghibli, but come on, Beauty and the Beast looks much better than all the Ghibli films. So does Aladdin, in fact. Why can't Ghibli use hyper detailed character designs?'

You mustn't forget that many Ghibli films are much longer that Disney animations from the 90's. 'Kaze Tachinu' was 126 minutes long, whereas something like 'Beauty and the Beast' was about 84 minutes. Also, compare the crowd scenes after the earthquake in 'Kaze Tachinu' to even something like 'Beauty and the Beast'. There is one particular cut that took over a year to animate. Each character had been given a 'personality'. I don't think there is any one cut even in 'Beauty and the Beast' that can compare with the complexity of the animation there.

Also, compare the number of cuts and backgrounds. 'The Wind Rises' had about 1450 cuts, 'Beauty and the Beast' slightly less, I counted about 1390. That means more actual painted backgrounds put into the production. As for a comparison of the actual number of drawings, this is harder to compare. However, I read 'Kaze Tachinu' used about 161,000 drawings, whereas 'Beauty and the Beast' used 120,000.

'1,295 painted backgrounds and 120,000 drawings were used in the movie.'

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/animation/batbfacts.html

'The Wind Rises' used about 160,000. Can't find the link now but will post asap.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
People comparing Disney to Ghibli do so simply because they're the two most mainstream studios for theatrical animation to mainstream American audiences, and they also tend to have the most "family friendly" anime by American standards, so they're less apprehensive about showing it to children like they do Disney films (though there's plenty of Ghibli films they would probably consider inappropiate due to their heavy themes) Outside of that, their similarities end. It's a very weak comparison and doesn't look at the environments they produce in or their subject matter or their relevance to their respective animation industries as a whole.

Comparing Disney films to Ghibli films production-wise is also absurd. Disney films have much higher budgets than Ghibli films. The Little Mermaid had a budget of 40 million, Kiki's which came out the same year was only 7 million which is over 5 times less, and it was still beautiful. Japan are the masters at producing the top quality work they can for the absurdly small budgets they're given for animation.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
koopa_beach wrote:
'It's not like the budget for Innocence is more than Ghibli movies. It cost 2 billion yen. Ponyo cost 3 billion yen. Mononoke cost 2.4 billion. Spirited cost 1.9 billion, yet they ALL look under-detailed. People always compare Disney to Ghibli, but come on, Beauty and the Beast looks much better than all the Ghibli films. So does Aladdin, in fact. Why can't Ghibli use hyper detailed character designs?'

You mustn't forget that many Ghibli films are much longer that Disney animations from the 90's. 'Kaze Tachinu' was 126 minutes long, whereas something like 'Beauty and the Beast' was about 84 minutes. Also, compare the crowd scenes after the earthquake in 'Kaze Tachinu' to even something like 'Beauty and the Beast'. There is one particular cut that took over a year to animate. Each character had been given a 'personality'. I don't think there is any one cut even in 'Beauty and the Beast' that can compare with the complexity of the animation there.

Also, compare the number of cuts and backgrounds. 'The Wind Rises' had about 1450 cuts, 'Beauty and the Beast' slightly less, I counted about 1390. That means more actual painted backgrounds put into the production. As for a comparison of the actual number of drawings, this is harder to compare. However, I read 'Kaze Tachinu' used about 161,000 drawings, whereas 'Beauty and the Beast' used 120,000.

'1,295 painted backgrounds and 120,000 drawings were used in the movie.'

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/animation/batbfacts.html

'The Wind Rises' used about 160,000. Can't find the link now but will post asap.

Funny, I heard Beauty and the Beast had over 250,000 drawings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcFk-ugY3BM
Also, Disney films have realistic facial expressions and movements. For the exception of Akira, parts of Only Yesterday, Aku no Hana and maybe Steamboy, almost all anime has awful facial expressions, due to the sheer laziness of not recording the voices first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2