• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with this through episode 5. It is fun enough as long as you don't demand logic from your story.

Of course the "professor" wants to establish a "New World Order" what the hell else would anyone expect him to do? You think he's about to let Magneto one-up him down at the beer hall?

And what better way than to drop a cargo-hauling ship on the city where you want to start your rule. How better to convince people to come over to your side. Why didn't I think of that.

Oh, well. Bring it on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And what better way than to drop a cargo-hauling ship on the city where you want to start your rule. How better to convince people to come over to your side. Why didn't I think of that.

Such a display of power is the perfect way to gain followers. People always flock to the strong. Dropping that tanker also provided undeniable proof that ESP is a thing. Hard to cover that up as some kind of hoax.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Finally got to sit down and watched it. Aside from the 1st episode, these 4 have been pretty much letdown. Having read the manga before hand, they left out too many good scenes, even spoiler[Kobushi's little sister's introduction feels rush]. Too bad that the manga is pretty funny, but the humor they put here is just blatant bland. Characters are a mixed bag. Azuma is pretty interesting, Minami looks like an Rei Ayanami expy, Prof spoiler[Two-Face] still pulls off a Magneto vile well hope he'll do better, Rinka and all your spoiler[justice will prevail, i'm not going to let evil wins] craps ain't gonna prove anything if spoiler[you're gonna get your butt kicked immediately], I like how the first episode showed how badass she is and this time it just spoiler[ proved otherwise]. Hmm, at least spoiler[I know she's gonna get better in the future]

spoiler[I also like how the put the Ga-rei cameo in this episode. A trailer for a show which exists within the same universe of the show where the trailer is showed huh?]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Such a display of power is the perfect way to gain followers. People always flock to the strong. Dropping that tanker also provided undeniable proof that ESP is a thing. Hard to cover that up as some kind of hoax.

Yeah. He isn't interested in getting normal people to like him, he wants subjects, not constituents. He wants to compel obedience due to the inevitability of his rule.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. He isn't interested in getting normal people to like him, he wants subjects, not constituents. He wants to compel obedience due to the inevitability of his rule.

Yeah yeah yeah. Don't they always. The only real question is where is his goblet of wine? You know -- the fine vintage to savor while reeking havoc on all the insignificant insects.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

My interest in this show are falling apart a bit now. The spoiler[latest episode felt slow as Rinka takes more training sessions to improve herself. I think there was some background story explored as well for that Minami girl.]

Anyways, the comedy remains dense while the action is barely tolerable for me. OST is still decent though. I also hope they focus a bit on Kyoutaro's character next time. I think he and Minami have a lot to talk about.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Kyotaro ripped him own hand to save Rinka.
That bastard Professor just dumped the tanker in the middle of Tokyo.
Minami took Kyotaro.
Rinka made her choice between saving him or trapped people.
Rinka's dad helped with the aftermath a lot.
The whole thing got espers a bad name..
She didn't take it well... was hung up over Kyotaro.
Another mascot appears Panda-Roshi LOL
Seems like he has the power of clairvoyance.
That could certainly come in handy.
Thanks to all that happened Rinka decided to train hard & get stronger.
New character appears.
He looks promising ^^]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

In my opinion the pacing was much better this time. The show had really been going through events in what felt like unnatural speed, and this episode felt like it dropped enough to keep its tone. The way it was presented made it much better for me.

I know that the panda guy is a spoiler[perverted martial arts expert called Roshi, the obvious parallel is from Dragon Ball], but the whole getting spoiler[her to run and on her back made me think of Yoda]. If he tells spoiler[her to do or do not, there is no try], I called it.

Also, I imagine she must be a little spoiler[emotionally unstable from seeing so many dead people.] Not sure if I want that to play some significance.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
"Nobody else is asking, and maybe it's obvious to everyone here, but I'm going to ask anyway. Uh... spoiler[why are you a panda?]"
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Why not? Embrace alternative lifestyles.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
So this episode we have a look at the time after the Prof's attack. It's a pretty well handled look at immediate aftermath of disaster, the scramble to help the survivors, and Rinka's grief at being really pretty powerless to stop it. And then spoiler[a martial arts master who is also a 2 ft (stuffed?) panda (which nobody acknowledges) steals Rinka's bra.] Yup. That's pretty much this show in a nutshell. It's not so much bad. In fact, I enjoy it. It's just all over the goddam place. If its not the pace its the tone. If its not that, its something else. It's a shame because if they could just even the hell out it would be pretty great.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
The issue of tone is become an interesting one to me. Lately there have been show's like Akame ga KILL! and Brynhildr in the Darkness (and Tokyo ESP, of course) that jam the horrific right up against the incredibly goofy. As you would expect the reaction is divisive. Some people find the practice so jarring and unsatisfying that, if it doesn't actually drive them away entirely, it certain majorly impacts their enjoyment. Then there are those like myself who actually like it. Those who like the darkness being strafed with light - even if that light is the incredibly juvenile "humour" that is prevalent throughout anime.

I would argue that what we are seeing here isn't actually a mixed tone at all. It's a particular kind of anime tone and one that probably has been around since the dawn of anime but, anecdotally, seems to becoming more prevalent. My analogy would be the color green. You get green paint by mixing blue and yellow together, but you don't think of that when you see green paint. You just say, "oh, that's green."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Well, this is certainly a trend in anime writing. I'd just call it a bad one. To each his own I guess. Mixing is probably not a great analogy though. A little more mixing is exactly what this show's tone needs in my opinion. Mixing gives you a nice even, consistent color like green. This is the equivalent of painting the room distinct blue and distinct yellow all at once though.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The issue of tone is become an interesting one to me. Lately there have been show's like Akame ga KILL! and Brynhildr in the Darkness (and Tokyo ESP, of course) that jam the horrific right up against the incredibly goofy. As you would expect the reaction is divisive. Some people find the practice so jarring and unsatisfying that, if it doesn't actually drive them away entirely, it certain majorly impacts their enjoyment. Then there are those like myself who actually like it. Those who like the darkness being strafed with light - even if that light is the incredibly juvenile "humour" that is prevalent throughout anime.

I don't think the darkness in ESP is that bad, there is some tragedy but nothing over the top. I'm not totally caught up on Akame, it's near the bottom of my watch list this season, but I found the violence mostly cartoony enough that I didn't take it too seriously either. Brunhydyr though, that show was just plain bad. Not too dark or too light, just poorly put together.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, just to be clear, I also in no way think Tokyo ESP is too dark in itself. Agame ga KILL was too dark period. It was so over the top and tried so hard to be dark that it just came off as ridiculous to me. Tonal dissonance was also a massive issue but even if it hadn't flitted randomly back to comedy hijinks, it still would have been a tonal mess. Dissonance is just icing on an already shitty cake though. With Tokyo ESP, it is just the dissonance. In terms of darkness of tone, I think they've been right on most of the time. It's just too inconsistent. It's dark enough that they can't really flip back and forth to ridiculous and comedic elements as they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10