• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under the Dog Sci-Fi Anime Kickstarter Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It sounds kooool. I really hope they manage to fun this project, but odds seem long though.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:

Masahiro Ando does have one other directing credit you should look at: Sword of the Stranger. I think it does a pretty solid job establishing him as an action director at least.

I can't deny Sword of the Stranger wasn't a great film with fantastically directed action scenes, although it's been a good while since I've seen it. Still, I see little of the budget, staff or style here to recreate that magic again.

DangerMouse wrote:
In addition to those he's also directed others like, somewhat similarly to this, the action heavy Cannan

Funnily enough, when I was looking through his filmography, I originally read Cannan as Clannad which was a pretty surreal experience. Sadly I wasn't a massive fan of the series, & beyond some nicely animated scenes, there was little that interested me. That seems to be the reaction towards most of his work, so I guess his style just doesn't really appeal me, despite wanting to pay homage to the types of sci-fi films I like.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
there’s nothing in that trailer or synopsis to make me think it’ll be much more than the sci-fi equivalent of Blood: The Last Vampire: nice animation & action, but little staying power. Even if I had that much faith in the writing, there really isn’t enough length time to fulfil the potential being hyped up

To me, it sounds more like the next Kite: Liberator. I just can't see 24 minutes being enough time to develop anything - much less all the characters they've outlined - and I don't think there's any chance at all of hitting the stretch goals.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone was interested, a lower tier with just BD/DVD combo-pack + digital downloads was added at the $60 level.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
In case anyone was interested, a lower tier with just BD/DVD combo-pack + digital downloads was added at the $60 level.

Yeah, that's much more reasonable and quite in line with that Japanese fans have always had to pay for OVA episodes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
I'm interested to see what the figure for the new $500 pledge looks like.

I fear this wil fail to meet its first target, let alone its stretch targets, which is a shame because it suits my taste in anime far more than, say, Little Witch Academia does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
I'm contributing more so because of Ando's work on Sword of the Stranger than his other directing work. Not really a fan of anything else he's directed other than SotS.

What your not a fan of Sword for Truth? lol

Yeah I'd have to agree, SotS has been his best work. Such a great movie.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
Is it known whether it'll be a single-, double- or split-cour?

It's a single 24 minute episode. This is known to everyone who read the first sentence of the article.

The phrasing was somewhat unclear, to me, and I thought it meant a series with the run time of 24-minutes. As there's been shows with 15-, 10-, and 5-, minutes runtime, I was wondering about the number of planned episodes.

Have a pleasant day
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
First though of this!

Animated by the C.I.A.

Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
That looks brutal tbh. Well, I like the PV a bit but hopefully this will get enough funds.

So 80 000 $ more dollars than what HG was asking to make a 25 minute pilot. What a joke. Companies should invest their own money in doing these projects, not ask fans to finance them in the first place.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
That looks brutal tbh. Well, I like the PV a bit but hopefully this will get enough funds.

So 80 000 $ more dollars than what HG was asking to make a 25 minute pilot. What a joke. Companies should invest their own money in doing these projects, not ask fans to finance them in the first place.

There are two differences between Under the Dog and Robotech Academy. The first is the staggering amount of pre-production work and staff they have lined up in advance. I am fully confident that Under the Dog will actually get made, should the funding goals be met. Robotech Academy wasn't able to show us much of anything at all.

The second, and this is perhaps an interesting oversight because it's not actually listed on the Kickstarter itself but was mentioned during the Otakon panel, is that should the Kickstarter succeed, for every dollar pledged to it, the contributions from outside investors will be 10 times that amount. In other words, if $580,000 gets raised then that will convince outside investors to provide $5.8 million, and THAT would be enough money to fund the entire series.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe I'm misremembering what I heard. So if someone reading this was at Otakon in the panel room and would like to confirm that got said, please do so. Perhaps they're not permitted by Kickstarter to mention that on the page. Either way, the director of Sword of the Stranger wants to do a new anime? I'm in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The second, and this is perhaps an interesting oversight because it's not actually listed on the Kickstarter itself but was mentioned during the Otakon panel, is that should the Kickstarter succeed, for every dollar pledged to it, the contributions from outside investors will be 10 times that amount. In other words, if $580,000 gets raised then that will convince outside investors to provide $5.8 million, and THAT would be enough money to fund the entire series.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe I'm misremembering what I heard. So if someone reading this was at Otakon in the panel room and would like to confirm that got said, please do so. Perhaps they're not permitted by Kickstarter to mention that on the page. Either way, the director of Sword of the Stranger wants to do a new anime? I'm in.

That's quite the tidbit that was dropped in that panel. The sad thing is I have my doubts they can raise that much money for a new IP. Their goal is 93% what LWA 2 (with all of its fanfare) ended up with. I have no personal affinity with the collection of works this pedigree has (particularly Mr. Ando), yet I really want to see this happen. At the very least, people clamoring for more of this type of content (like myself) can spare a couple of bucks.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
There was a flyer for this in my Otakon bag and a poster in one of the halls, but I had no idea what it was until I saw this news story.

I'm certainly interested, perhaps more in principle than in substance. I'm not sure how well I'd enjoy the work itself. I'm not that driven by action and I respected Sword of the Stranger without loving it, but I did appreciate seeing two female action heroines fighting with a lot of movement without jiggling while dressed in a way that although not strictly sensible, isn't some insane stripper outfit. I am pretty much all about that.

I think that something like this is worth supporting as it might get us somewhere toward breaking the anime industry out of the narrow vision of what markets it should pay attention to. Besides, the Kick-Heart people told me to give money. I just wish that the timing were a little easier on me; August 2014 is probably the worst month possible for my bank account.

I was and am still pessimistic about the campaign, but it doesn't seem to be doing too badly. As of this writing, it has raised $121,283 with twenty five days left.

Anime World Order wrote:

I would love it if somebody could reliable corroborate that, because that's HOLY SHIT caliber news if true. It's a little hard to believe that somebody would offer the 10:1 matching funds, but it might do a lot to encourage contributions if true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I find a 10:1 a little hard to believe because that then gives enough funding for either a decent film or 24 episodes with pretty good budget at $240k a piece. And if it actually raised the $5.1m, I highly doubt the backers would be prepared to dump in $51m.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
It sounds to me based on what you folks are saying that the 10:1 comment isn't an actual agreement, but an anecdotal, off the cuff assessment by industry veterans. You can bet your britches successfully kickstarted anime projects can pick up traditional, looking-for-return-on-investment funding no sweat. After all, if fans will fork over 500K for a new IP, what's a normal production committee's risk? How much advertising money would they save? No question about it, more money would be available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4