• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, August 4-10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
Was that a new BD for Cagliostro? It's already had one, unless that was a non-JP release?

http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=772&comparisonId=5435&imageNum=1
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Right here it is.

Only Japanese subs mentioned. Sad
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
So, Kawai Complex only made it to about 1.8K combined. Sad
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Was that a new BD for Cagliostro? It's already had one, unless that was a non-JP release?

http://compare.bakashots.me/compare.php?setId=772&comparisonId=5435&imageNum=1

It's a new remaster that looks much better than the previous release, and even corrected a small animation error. I already own the UK BD, but after looking at the screenshot comparisons here, I decided to double-dip.

vanfanel wrote:
Right here it is.

Only Japanese subs mentioned. Sad

According to Disney Japan's website, it actually includes English subtitles, but none of the dubs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Yep. Even Japanese otaku (with their shitty taste) were bored by it.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I'm not a Japanese otaku but Kawaiso really was cliché and boring
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Low sales(only slightly below average) does not mean that the series was disliked.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
-_\\\. I'm not trolling here. I had high hopes for Kawaisou. I thought it would be smth like Sakurasou with good romance about a bit abnormal people living under one roof. But it came out as a very cliché romcom with flat characters and typical plot twists.

If you liked it this doesn't give you a right to call people with opposite opinion trolls. And BTW it's probably the first time I write negative comment about some title here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess that, with series like Kawaisou and Sakurasou, it comes down to how you enjoy the execution. Yes, both could be said to have typical character tropes in there. The MCs in both can be said to be similar, as we get an aloof/socially awkward girl and a helpful nice guy surrounded by weirdos.

I enjoyed the comedy in Kawaisou more than Sakurasou, especially loved how some bits would continue on in the background while the other characters seemingly ignored what was happening to have their own conversations.

And, while I enjoyed some of the romantic aspects in both, Kawaisou's was the one I thought was better. Hell, I usually hate it when a series doesn't end up making the couple official. In Kawaisou's case...I actually love the ending where spoiler[all they do is exchange numbers and then Ritsu's reaction to getting Usa's number] a lot more than Sakurasou's spoiler["almost kiss" scene].

Both had the girl come to a realisation of their feelings, where I found Mashiro's to be a sudden realisation and that Ritsu's was less so. Will admit that with Sakurasou being longer, the hints seemed infrequent to me, probably leading to it feeling more sudden.

Like I said earlier, it comes down to execution. Both have cliche elements to them. So, while I've made a long post that is off topic, I'll try to finish this off.

Endings to anime have a big impact on how I view a series overall. Whether or not this is an unfair way to look back on a series or not, I'm built for some sort of pay off. As much as I could love a series all the way to the last episode, if it ends too open...its rating drops.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy a series that does have an open ending (Kokoro Connect being a recent favourite of mine). Sakurasou's end felt too open. Not only with the relationship between the MCs. That was coupled with introducing new characters, and it just left me not enjoying the ending as much as I could've. Kawaisou didn't suffer that problem for me.

I do hope that Sakurasou gets a 2nd season, while I'm more than happy to see Kawaisou end there...but I am selfish and would like to see more of it too. Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Several posts deleted for over-quoting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1