• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Director Isao Takahata Working on New Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suzuki explained that Takahata takes a long time between films because there are few animators who can realize his ideas.

There were also less people who watched My Neighbors the Yamadas. Otherwise Ghibli needs to bring in someone in to work on something seeing as Hayao can't do it all.
DaveJS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
YA! I'm so happy. Both men are getting old, so it's getting close to their last films before they retire (and not retire and come back like Miyazaki).
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Quote:
Suzuki explained that Takahata takes a long time between films because there are few animators who can realize his ideas.

There were also less people who watched My Neighbors the Yamadas.

Which is a damn shame, because it's a gem.

Last edited by DragonsRevenge on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the source, it mentions some rather funny things.

Miyazaki and Takahata both have "super selfish minds" and that he's like a wild animal trainer. Saying that Ghibli truly started when the three met is not an overstatement.

Laughing

Anyways, I cannot wait to learn more about the new film. Grave of the Fireflies is quite possibly my favourite movie ever, it's just that it's so sad it's kind of hard to put a movie like that at #1.

I agree with you guys, My Neibors the Yamadas was definitely a great movie that deserves more attention.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes! Isao Takahata is my favourite Japanese director, I love all his movies and I can't wait to know more about this new one!
I saw him in an animation festival here in Italy (I Castelli Animati), he is a really intelligent yet modest, sensitive and kind person. Smile
He said that if he was going to do more movies, they would be based on Japanese culture and/or legends... I couldn't be happier! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought it took Tanuki-sized balls for Takahata to make such an "un-Ghibli-looking" film as My Neighbors The Yamadas just after they achieved such box office success with Princess Mononoke. But he's always gone his own way. Having proved a point, however, my request is a return to something more Ghibli-looking Very Happy
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to master like him return to work.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
I thought it took Tanuki-sized balls for Takahata to make such an "un-Ghibli-looking" film as My Neighbors The Yamadas just after they achieved such box office success with Princess Mononoke. But he's always gone his own way. Having proved a point, however, my request is a return to something more Ghibli-looking Very Happy

Whichever style he'll use, it's the spirit and maturity of his film which is really important. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
Takahata's been saying he's doing a new project for a while now. My event report of him in L.A. mentioned it. I'm sure his eccentric animation style is partly why he waits that long, but methinks it's also an issue of funding. Suzuki seems less and less likely to support anything without a Miyazaki surname attached to it, even though the Cat Returns was probably one of the company's better productions in recent memory.
wushu-4-ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Takahata's been saying he's doing a new project for a while now. My event report of him in L.A. mentioned it.

True. There's a difference though. During the personal interview I had with him he also mentioned his ideas for a new project. Like he told me "I wrote many texts and I would very much like to adapt one of these projects, but they’re all still in their research stage. Unfortunately, they don’t advance much and I cannot tell you when they will be finished or even if they will actually be made.” However, in this case it was that first time that someone like Suzuki told something about it, which probably means Takahata's next film is finally becoming something specific instead of something which is still in its research stage.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
There is a great ectra on the Cat Returns DVD that shows how Ghibli really wants to develop new staff. I think this was also the concept behind Goro's film. At this point I don't know if there will ever be anyone who will ever be able to take over for these two. My favorite film by Takahata is Only Yesterday. I feel as though he has the human drama down better than Miyazaki. He leave the fantastical stories for Miyazaki and continue to do more Grave of the Fireflies type films.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It would seem very difficult...Miyazaki and Takahata had already developed their filmmaking to a high level before Ghibli. Although Ghibli made their later works possible, the studio itself did not create their artistic genius; they already had it. Ghibli can, and has, train animators to the highest level of technical skill, but it may not be possible even for such an accomplished film studio as they to "develop" a "new" Miyazaki or a "new" Takahata.

It appears that what Ghibli has pursued in recent years is a reasonable alternative: developing a house "Ghibli style" that audiences will find acceptable, inspired by the look and feel of their founding directors, but independent of them. Obviously this is not the same thing as being able to nurture and bring forth a third great anime director on the level of Miyazaki or Takahata, but again I don't "blame" Ghibli for this, because I'm not sure it was likely to happen in the first place.
kern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
There could hardly be any better news than that Suzuki has announced that Ghibli has started production on a new Takahata film. Although it is to be hoped that Ghibli will yet develop or recruit new top notch anime directors who can create work for Ghibli's market and work successfully with the fantastic Ghibli staff and system, substantive information concerning the extension/continuence of the golden era of Takahata and Miyazaki is cause for joy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1