• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under the Dog Sci-Fi Anime Kickstarter Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
[quote="Anime World Order"]
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
That looks brutal tbh. Well, I like the PV a bit but hopefully this will get enough funds.

........mentioned during the Otakon panel, is that should the Kickstarter succeed, for every dollar pledged to it, the contributions from outside investors will be 10 times that amount. In other words, if $580,000 gets raised then that will convince outside investors to provide $5.8 million, and THAT would be enough money to fund the entire series.

I've seen this comment somewhere else and I am confused by it. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly but didn't they say the point of this campaign was to retain control of the production and not give up artistic integrity? If they have outside investors willing to match the campaign's dollar for dollar then why didn't they go ahead and have the outside investors fund the series to begin with? Also if somebody is willing to put up that much money which will work out to be much more than Kickstarter. Then doesn't that mean CIA is going to end up losing their artistic integrity and production control anyway. Maybe my whole understanding of the situation is incorrect.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
I think it's really interesting (and awesome for the curious) that the KS includes a "budget" of where the funding is going. I appreciate that they realistically have a sizable portion (30%) going to reward fulfillment. Just crunching the numbers, it's interesting how "cheaply" they can make it honestly. Based on their budget, if they could keep 100% of the proceeeds they'd be over halfway to goal already.
jesse.billingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Happily contributed yesterday! I really hope this takes off.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting cost breakdown, and what might be a good yardstick for higher end animation:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog/posts/954249

and:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog/posts/955394

Quote:
If you looked at the budget from the aforementioned update you should recall that only 40% of the budget is dedicated to the Animation Production itself. This amount comes to $232k.

The actual cost of the Animation Production is closer to $350k.

Because we believe in this project, we have already taken it upon ourselves to take a loss on this endeavor as we have also invested >$100k to generate the PV trailer.

This brings our own personal financial investment in this project to be $218,000. This does not include the countless hours our people have poured into this project. Not only because they are working on something they are passionate about but also because they believe in the end goal and want to make something truly special with this anime.

.. although some of the initial investment would presumably be part of the other pre-production costs
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
So they lose quite a bit of that pledge money to bullshit beyond their control. You'd think pre-production was already over, but I suppose that part of the pie chart is to recoup what they've already spent. And, they actually say that a few lines down as well. Sounds like actual budget for the episode itself is in line with a high budget TV series. I enjoy the transparency they're offering here as to where the money goes, Harmony Gold would have never done that because you can bet the animation production would have been more like 20% of the whole with a rather high operational cost.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I think it's really interesting (and awesome for the curious) that the KS includes a "budget" of where the funding is going. I appreciate that they realistically have a sizable portion (30%) going to reward fulfillment

Yet when I look at their rewards, I just don't see it. How are they going to spend $175,000 on backer rewards? I look at what they're offering and I just can't see it.

So while I appreciate that they can come up with an arbitrary pie graph and point to it to say that's how the money will be used but unless making cheap t-shirts and CDs is 100x more expensive than what I figured it would cost, I can only roll my eyes at their numbers. Mind you, I backed this project, but I've seen much better financial transparency from a lot other crowd-funded projects.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks good but your group initials "CIA" is dooming yourself off the bat. Bad Voodoo I won't back the CIA. Not in this life, nor the next.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
There's 3 days left to back the project if interested. It still hasn't met it's goal unfortunately. It felt good watching the pledge ticker go up after confirming my pledge amount.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
In the last couple days, it went up almost $100K.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
I think it's really interesting (and awesome for the curious) that the KS includes a "budget" of where the funding is going. I appreciate that they realistically have a sizable portion (30%) going to reward fulfillment

Yet when I look at their rewards, I just don't see it. How are they going to spend $175,000 on backer rewards? I look at what they're offering and I just can't see it.

A LOT of funded kickstarters run into problems (if not outright go belly up) because they don't adequately budget for just how much it costs to fulfill all the rewards. I really, really REALLY hope The crew for UTD has a fulfillment group in America, because if not they could burn "rewards" budget entirely on SHIPPING to other countries. The plus for UTD is that the low level rewards are pretty much all digital, but once you start getting to physical rewards, all the expenses really can add up quickly. And that doesn't even include the "time" expense of fulfilling even something as simple as just "names in the credits".

(that said, I admit I find it odd that each "stretch goal" episode has the same cost as the first, that number should really go down at least slightly)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4