• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Original Red Ranger Austin St. John in Talks to Return for Dino Charge

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting, Kyoryuger's summer movie was "The Great Dinosaur War" and saw the return of the two previous dinosaur-themed Sentai teams, Zyuranger and Abaranger. If Saban is courting St. John, perhaps they're planning on adapting the movie, which means they'll also try to get one of the Dino Thunder actors back (the obvious choice being James Napier, Conner).

I know people will immediately suggest Jason David Frank, since he was in both seasons and has said he loves coming back, but ironically neither of the Rangers he played actually appeared in the Great Dinosaur War, so they'd have to do entirely new footage just to include him.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
I know people will immediately suggest Jason David Frank, since he was in both seasons and has said he loves coming back, but ironically neither of the Rangers he played actually appeared in the Great Dinosaur War, so they'd have to do entirely new footage just to include him.

Also, doesn't JDF hate ASJ or something?
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:

That's an understatement. JDF had an interview with No Pink Spandex a while back and ended up going on a 20 minute tirade about ASJ.

2 weeks ago, he took a clip of ASJ at a convention (ASJ was teaching a woman some self defense tactics and said that if he was fighting someone with long hair he'd grab it and toss them around) and cut it to make it look like ASJ was dissing martial artists with long hair and had this long rant on facebook. When a good chunk of his followers called him out on being immature about stuff that happened on set 20 years ago, he promptly deleted the post.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
I think it's worth noting, Kyoryuger's summer movie was "The Great Dinosaur War" and saw the return of the two previous dinosaur-themed Sentai teams, Zyuranger and Abaranger. If Saban is courting St. John, perhaps they're planning on adapting the movie, which means they'll also try to get one of the Dino Thunder actors back (the obvious choice being James Napier, Conner).

It's either going to incorporate movie footage or they might just have him do Dantetsu's role of mentor figure/plot mover. spoiler[ Also Kyoryu Silver]

AmuroNT1 wrote:

In addition to that, apparently JDF has a huge ego and will not attend any convention where other Power Rangers alumini are also attending. I guess he might feel it takes away from his "epicness". Or maybe it was just any convention ASJ is at, I'm not sure.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

AmuroNT1 wrote:

In addition to that, apparently JDF has a huge ego and will not attend any convention where other Power Rangers alumini are also attending. I guess he might feel it takes away from his "epicness". Or maybe it was just any convention ASJ is at, I'm not sure.

Not entirely true. He does, however have in his appearance contract a clause stating that he can pull out of a convention if he doesn't approve of the other rangers appearing. And given his popularity that basically becomes a blockade against certain rangers appearing at bigger conventions.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Correction to the article: While Dino Charge will be primarily adapting Kyoryuger, Saban has also confirmed* that it will include elements of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters**.

*Sorry, I don't have a source, this was said months ago just after the title announcement.

**Also don't have a source, but insiders have said that Saban's contract with Toei does not allow them to skip a series of Super Sentai, which would require them to use some elements of Go-Busters (as they're currently doing with Goseiger and Gokaiger).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I know the official statement is they skipped Gobusters because "disappointing sales", even though that didn't stopped a TimeRanger adaption but I digress, but I imagine it didn't help that a lot of the sentai footage is unusable. The main villains being humans rather than rubber suits makes any adaption tricky since all of their fight scenes would be unusuable. The Go-Busters also fought helmetless quite a lot from what I remember. Also, given the nature of the series being about terrorists, and a lot of the action footage showing cities and buildings being destroyed and crumbling, it just wouldn't work in a post 9/11 kids show. I guess pulling a Kakuranger and just adapting the suits/mechs into Kyoryuger is easier than trying to make Go-Busters marketable here. Maybe the Go-Busters will be a group of space cops who tracked Chaos (or whatever his new name is) to Earth and help the Kyoryugers.

-Stuart Smith
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
ow
Didn't know that about JDF.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I also heard of JDF's ego...recently, there was a "favorite ranger (key?) poll and his rangers (I think he's Green/Dragon Ranger, Tiger/White, Neo Black) didn't win.

Ah well.

Bounty Hunter = Torin?
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
It's either going to incorporate movie footage or they might just have him do Dantetsu's role of mentor figure/plot mover. spoiler[ Also Kyoryu Silver]

I dunno if ASJ could do a recurring role like that, since last I heard he's working as a paramedic and would probably not be willing to take off the time it would take to film a long-term role.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
AmuroNT1 wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

I dunno if ASJ could do a recurring role like that, since last I heard he's working as a paramedic and would probably not be willing to take off the time it would take to film a long-term role.

There's a video of him at a convention saying he wouldn't return to the series unless it was a large role. A cameo would not be worth it.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Also, given the nature of the series being about terrorists, and a lot of the action footage showing cities and buildings being destroyed and crumbling, it just wouldn't work in a post 9/11 kids show.

Every PR season has had buildings explode.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
Bounty Hunter = Torin?

No, Chaos, or "Slanch" as he is called now

Here's the teaser from Power Morphicon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdmKlXbKqk

Got to say, for a show originally about samba dancing carnival dinosaurs they sure are taking it pretty seriously. Makes me want to see how they'll market ToQger.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
There's a video of him at a convention saying he wouldn't return to the series unless it was a large role. A cameo would not be worth it.

Hadn't heard about that. Well, maybe he WILL be taking a larger role then.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Got to say, for a show originally about samba dancing carnival dinosaurs they sure are taking it pretty seriously. Makes me want to see how they'll market ToQger.

Carranger > Turbo
G-Onger > RPM

They do tend to take the lighthearted stories and flip them around.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Correction to the article: While Dino Charge will be primarily adapting Kyoryuger, Saban has also confirmed* that it will include elements of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters**.

*Sorry, I don't have a source, this was said months ago just after the title announcement.

**Also don't have a source, but insiders have said that Saban's contract with Toei does not allow them to skip a series of Super Sentai, which would require them to use some elements of Go-Busters (as they're currently doing with Goseiger and Gokaiger).

That's not confirmed by saban. And the toys suggest that it will mostly be Kyoryuger.

Fedora-san wrote:
WatchforMoons7 wrote:
Bounty Hunter = Torin?

No, Chaos, or "Slanch" as he is called now

Here's the teaser from Power Morphicon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdmKlXbKqk

I mean it's just a marketing trailer. They haven't even started filming yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2