• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous Entertainment to Make More Gunslinger Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Just out of curiosity how close did the gunslinger girl anime follow the manga? If it did follow the manga relatively closely what Volume and chapter of the manga did the first series end on?

The story arcs aren't presented in the exact same order, but the arcs themselves match the manga pretty closely. I don't recall any major differences.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Do you guys think it was because of the success from the US or something?

I know that Funimation was trying to get more made, so yes, I think that North American sales did influence the decision.

-t
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so... uhh...

Where's the next season of Fruits Basket? (which I'm assuming would've cost less money... but maybe more trouble?... who knows?)

Well... as long as we're getting this, then I'm fine (unless they suddenly screw around and don't give it to Madhouse... again, didn't Nana finish up already? Then this would mean that Asaka is open for a new project...).

But, like I've said... we must have SOME kind of power out here in the US...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DKL wrote:
Do you guys think it was because of the success from the US or something?

I know that Funimation was trying to get more made, so yes, I think that North American sales did influence the decision.

-t

Gunslinger Girls was a hit in North America? I would of never guess that, it always seemed like there were lots of copies on the shelfs at Best buy. But then again being on TV probably helps.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Did Nana finish up yet?

I'm fairly certain that NANA is either over or almost over, I'm following fansubs so I don't know precisely where the Japanese release is but since the subs are 7 episodes away from being over, the original is probably at the end or very near it.

I am so excited about this announcement, Gunslinger Girl is one of the few anime that I have ranked as a "Masterpiece" (the Wolf's Rain OVA might be the only other one, IIRC). This, topped with the fact that ADV has started up with the manga again, makes me a very happy fan indeed Very Happy
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is one slight difference, that being reguarding Angelica. spoiler[In the anime, in the last episode, it was stylistically done to imply Angelica's death, whereas she is not yet dead in the manga].

Super happy to see this coming. Now I need to finally pick up the anime. Also glad to see more of the manga.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really... really tempted to look into that spoiler's block...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
OOOOH YEAH!! I'm SOOOOOO THERE!!! I really enjoyed the first series. I still have to pick it up for myself. Sigh bills, bills, bills. But I am so glad that there is more to the series. I can't wait to see what crazy stuff is going to happen next with 'Henrietta'. And I get to see more of my girl 'Triela'. Hyaaaah!!! Squeee!!!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Yay! This is the first time I've been excited about a sequel / continuation in quite a while.

-t

Too many sequels follow up a series with a solid ending. It's as if the studio think that they can make more cash in reviving a finished series instead of creating something original. Unfortunately frequently they do make a ton of cash milking a series that already has an ending.

Fortunately Gunslinger Girl didn't have a definitive end, yet didn't leave us hanging like Berserk did. I think this is the wisest choice so we don't need the "they didn't actually die" excuse or the "Is that it?" excuse. Episode 13 of Gunslinger really worked for me and felt like a nice pause in the characters lives, but there is still more to their stories.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Rejoice! I saw every episode of this anime and I must say, I trully loved it. So hopefully the sequel won't disappoint fans. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
And I get to see more of my girl 'Triela'. Hyaaaah!!! Squeee!!!
If they keep following the manga, you'll get a lot of Triela with the Pinnochio arc. Plenty of good stuff in volume 3 and ADV's finally gotten off their duff's to put out more, so this annoucement is just one more bit of Gunslinger Girl goodness.

Can't wait to see if Funimation will bring this second season over too. If tempest is right about them working to get more made, the first season (I like being able to write that Very Happy ) must have been a success. The showing on IFC probably boosted it's profile considerably.

*Edit: Also, forgot to mention that my now locked post about the new season in anime thread was actually made a couple of minutes prior to the news hitting the homepage. Freaky but true.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, as collector of GSG anime and manga I'm not too fond of the path where manga is going right now. If I want more mature girls, I can pick up Noir, Madlax, El Cazador, or Black Lagoon. The contrast of "innocent yet deadly" is the key selling point of GSG.

tempest wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
think its because I dig caseless ammo.

You can put caseless ammo in almost any assault rifle or pistol.

If that's so then H&K G11 wouldn't just be a prototype. While P90 has a similar turntable feed mechanism somewhat similar to that of G11 (P90 has it on the magazine, while G11 has it on the bolt), its 5.7 x 28 mm SS190 cartridge is not caseless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the announcement Shocked

One of my dreams has come true. Now, hopefully my sweet little Rico will get more screen time.

.......Now the waiting commences...... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Loganno1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
cant wait i loved tis anime, especially how it ended with symphony no9 [if i remember correctly]
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never really anticipated a sequel to GSG. I can't exactly say that this news makes me all giddy inside, but hey, more GSG just can't be a bad thing.

Last edited by NGE1113 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5