• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous Entertainment to Make More Gunslinger Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Episode 13 of Gunslinger really worked for me and felt like a nice pause in the characters lives, but there is still more to their stories.

I also very much liked the ending of the series. In fact, and I know I am probably in the minority here, I thought it was one of the best endings of any series I have seen yet. I absolutely loved this show. It's easily one of my all time favorites, but I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this news.

For me, the important part of the series wasn't just a bunch of adorable girls running around toting a lot of firepower. That part is nice, of course, but I really enjoyed the way the story was presented with the moral ambiguity of the whole situation not being glossed over. The series never fell into the trap of depending on "ooh, look at the cool cyborg girls kicking ass" to keep the story interesting, but rather focused a lot on the relationships between girls and handlers and the effect the whole situation had on both sides. As far as that part of the story goes, I think they said everything that needed to be said in the first series and that they did an amazingly good job of it.

I just hope that this second season doesn't end up detracting from the first by becoming some kind of shoot 'em up action vehicle. I'm not following the manga, so perhaps I lack perspective and should not be worried, but I liked GG so much that I think I'd rather not see a sequel than to see a poorly executed one.

Of course, even having said all that, I will almost certainly be getting the second season when it comes out in the US. Despite my concerns, unless there is some actual evidence of things going badly, I think I'll trust the team that created such a fantastic first season of the show not to let me down with the second.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:

I also very much liked the ending of the series. In fact, and I know I am probably in the minority here, I thought it was one of the best endings of any series I have seen yet. I absolutely loved this show. It's easily one of my all time favorites, but I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this news.

I agree wholeheartedly. Perfect closer, plus Beethoven!

I am so looking forward to the ADV Manga releases and am positively giddy about the anime announcement!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Shocked ...... *checks again* Oh hell yes.

Between ADV finally continuing the manga and this announcement, this is a good year for GSG fans.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm more excited about ADV's intent to release the other volumes, but this is still a great news, I really appreciated how the first TV series stayed very close to the manga and the filler regarding Elsa was very well done.

The first series stopped adapting around volume 2, so I hope that the series will be 24 or 26 episodes since they got around five other volumes to adapt from.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
I am slightly apprehensive about this, the ending of the first series was excellent and to me felt like it gave a real ending.

As it is implied that spoiler[Angelica dies] I get the feeling that this, the status quo, is all there is for these girls. They will merely go through their remaining lives performing their required missions until they too end up the same as Angelica. hey don't need to carry on the series as te ending gives them a certain sense of pathos. Basically, 'This is it for their lives, how do they feel about that?'
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I am slightly apprehensive about this, the ending of the first series was excellent and to me felt like it gave a real ending.

As it is implied that spoiler[Angelica dies] I get the feeling that this, the status quo, is all there is for these girls. They will merely go through their remaining lives performing their required missions until they too end up the same as Angelica. hey don't need to carry on the series as te ending gives them a certain sense of pathos. Basically, 'This is it for their lives, how do they feel about that?'

That implication about Angelica was just a filler and wasn't in the manga, the manga chapter that the episode adapted from was just spoiler[about the girls going to see the shooting stars without any hint about Angelica dieing]. I think they just did that to give the anime somewhat of a dramatic ending.

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
YAHOO!!!
Alright, new eppys!
So... now that there's a new season comming, should they "edit" the "final episode" of season one?
The news is also spreading over at the [asmb] OA discussion ( [adult swim] message boards Other Anime discussion), and alot of people are excited...
BTW: Should we listen to The Durangos (correct spelling?) while we wait?

Anyways, Just like daedelus said: Now the waiting commences...

+goes back to watching El Cazador+
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

That implication about Angelica was just a filler and wasn't in the manga, the manga chapter that the episode adapted from was just spoiler[about the girls going to see the shooting stars without any hint about Angelica dieing]. I think they just did that to give the anime somewhat of a dramatic ending.

I know it is different in the manga, but this is not the manga it is the anime and thus it is different and I feel it would be a very bad idea to attempt to reverse the events and implications of the first series in the second unless it is utterly unavoidable. I've got the first 3 volumes of the manga and the next three on advance order so I don't know how important Angelica is later.
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Uhm, is anyone here certain that more Gunslinger Girl anime has been confirmed? Maybe I just missed it, but I scrolled through all 15 pages of the Marvelous Entertainment financial report and couldn't find "Gunslinger Girl" or "ガンスリンガー・ガール" on any of the pages.

The image the article links to only mentions Prince of Tennis, Air Gear, and Umisho.

The Moon Phase list of upcoming anime does list "GUNSLINGER GIRL 続編" ("Gunslinger Girl sequel') with no release date, but Moon Phase links to the official Gunslinger Girl homepage, which doesn't seem to mention anything about a new anime.

Should this be considered an unconfirmed rumor or actual solid news?
Superflyz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
Uhm, is anyone here certain that more Gunslinger Girl anime has been confirmed? Maybe I just missed it, but I scrolled through all 15 pages of the Marvelous Entertainment financial report and couldn't find "Gunslinger Girl" or "ガンスリンガー・ガール" on any of the pages.

The image the article links to only mentions Prince of Tennis, Air Gear, and Umisho.

The Moon Phase list of upcoming anime does list "GUNSLINGER GIRL 続編" ("Gunslinger Girl sequel') with no release date, but Moon Phase links to the official Gunslinger Girl homepage, which doesn't seem to mention anything about a new anime.

Should this be considered an unconfirmed rumor or actual solid news?

Looks like the page was updated.

Kinda disheartening, really. Hopefully this just means that it wasn't supposed to be announce yet.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Marvelous Entertainment Removes Gunslinger Girl Sequel Report

What? They removed it? Did they now want people to know about it yet or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
What? They removed it? Did they now want people to know about it yet or something?

Hopefully it was something like BS-i leaked out Clannad TV series on their schedule: Marvelous accidentally leaked out something that's supposed to be kept in secrecy in a public report.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Hopefully it was something like BS-i leaked out Clannad TV series on their schedule: Marvelous accidentally leaked out something that's supposed to be kept in secrecy in a public report.

I hope so. I'm thinking about buying the manga since it appears that more volumes are coming to the states. The thought of the anime continuing too had me very excited.

-Murph
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Is there a way to let the company know that they have fans here and that we want to see it happen???

I was just getting excited to hear that they were going to make more GG, then to just hear that it's not in the updated financial report Crying or Very sad . So, like everyone else, I want to know what's going to happen. I hear that sometimes they accidentally put information they never ment to sometimes, so let's just hope that's all it was.

I really hope they bring it back, I own all 13 episodes and just started collecting the manga. CROSS YOUR FINGERS GUYS!!!! Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Given that the sources seemed pretty official, the good money is on that. I really hope that this won't turn out to be a big mistake. Unless someone officially says "oops, we're not doing that," I'm going to keep believing it's going to happen.

Heck, I've been wanting more ever since I picked up the first volume (with artbox and art cloth) when it first was released by Funimation. Gunslinger Girl was my first blind anime purchase. (I knew nothing about it except Laura Bailey was doing a voice in the English dub.) It's also one of only three anime series that I think are masterpieces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5