• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tales to Admonish

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
And the English dub is lifeless.

You say that but the Japanese version's acting was worse (and how could you call Kate Higgins's portrayal of Pascal lifeless?). The entire cast sounded like every other archetypical character I've heard in fantasy anime about a million times. I imagine Takahiro Sakurai got really sick of saying "mamoru" and "mamori" for the umpteenth time in the game.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
Graces F excelled with its battle system, I'll give it that. The content was fairly good in terms of side-quests and such, and while the level design was down from earlier installments I did prefer it over Xillia's "big but empty" approach to most of its areas.

It's the story and characters where the game falls short. The plot is bland, even if the "here's the twist that changes everything you knew!" has gotten really predictable at this point in the franchise it would still be preferable to what we got. The cast is mixed in quality. Pascal is amazing, and Sophie, Hubert, and Malik are fairly good. However, Asbel and Richard are fairly bland, and Cheria as I've said is the one Tales character I despise all the way to the end.

Graces F is overall good, but it's the lowest of the Tales games I've played personally.

Graceful Nanami: I personally don't know why I would hate Raine, unless you're referring to the Symphonia sequel which I've yet to play. I suppose there's the whole "hits her students" element, but that's a Japanese culture difference thing. And at least she used it a form of discipline (unlike for example the anime Case Closed where the detective would hit Conan anytime he merely annoyed him).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
One of the problems with LO and all of Mistwalker games is that they weren't on the Playstation. Yes, I understand MS and Nintendo put money into both project, and yes I understand Sony did't, but constraining them to be sold on those systems hurt them. I mean I don't think any Mistwalker game was going to sell millions, but that is not due to quality, but its due to the nature of the jrpgs, look at Tales, each game tends to sell in the 100K range, with an occasional blip like Symphonia which hit close to a million.

And for the record Last Story apparently did decently well in Japan, and even Xseed came out saying it was one of the better sellers in the US for the company. So Nintendo continues throwing money at Monolith and xeno verse, and not Mistwalker because? - Source is Wiki
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon did more then 100k here though. You're occasional blip for Tales here also happen to not be on Playstation.

I don't buy that Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon had to be on PlayStation. Beyond the fact that the games exist probably because of MS, the Playstation is not some magical system that would have made the games sell better. Especially when the games actually came out. The 360 was clearly the more popular system in hardware sales and software sales. The PS3 market was not able to push even Valkyria Chronicles so super success. It's not like Vesperia sold terrible on the 360 either here. It also did around 100k. I'm not sure how these games were constrained when they were on the more popular system.

Chasing FF was hardly a mistake. The entire point of MS funding these games was to crack Japan. You don't do that with lowbudget fair. Quite honestly, it worked. The 360 did far better in Japan and actually gained Japanese support. They did have actual momentum, but basically gave up. Probably because in the end they deemed it not worthwhile.

As for JRPGS on consoles. It's gotten pretty terrible honestly. Unless you like what NIS and co put out you're pretty screwed on the console front. I don't think what NIS and co put are in anyway worthwhile replacements for the kind of quality jrpgs we got in the ps1 and ps2 days. I'm sure not part of the audience that eats up what Idea Factory puts out. If it wasn't for the decline of the genre on consoles no one would care about IF and Tales would'nt be the big man on campus, just like they weren't during the PS1 and PS2 days here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon did more then 100k here though. You're occasional blip for Tales here also happen to not be on Playstation.

I don't buy that Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon had to be on PlayStation. Beyond the fact that the games exist probably because of MS, the Playstation is not some magical system that would have made the games sell better. Especially when the games actually came out. The 360 was clearly the more popular system in hardware sales and software sales. The PS3 market was not able to push even Valkyria Chronicles so super success. It's not like Vesperia sold terrible on the 360 either here. It also did around 100k. I'm not sure how these games were constrained when they were on the more popular system.

Chasing FF was hardly a mistake. The entire point of MS funding these games was to crack Japan. You don't do that with lowbudget fair. Quite honestly, it worked. The 360 did far better in Japan and actually gained Japanese support. They did have actual momentum, but basically gave up. Probably because in the end they deemed it not worthwhile.

As for JRPGS on consoles. It's gotten pretty terrible honestly. Unless you like what NIS and co put out you're pretty screwed on the console front. I don't think what NIS and co put are in anyway worthwhile replacements for the kind of quality jrpgs we got in the ps1 and ps2 days. I'm sure not part of the audience that eats up what Idea Factory puts out. If it wasn't for the decline of the genre on consoles no one would care about IF and Tales would'nt be the big man on campus, just like they weren't during the PS1 and PS2 days here.

Valkyria Chronciles did pretty well here when Gamestop had it as part of their Spring sale a few months after it's release.The reason it bombed so bad at first was Sega Just dropping the game at the start of November with no marketing whatsoever(the usually from them when it's a new IP).
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Haha, I s'pose that's a good review for ToX2. I wouldn't say the same thing all the time, but the Tales series is definitely like comfort food of sorts. I do like how they've been trying to adjust the battle system for Zestiria and it would be nice if they got a really good scenario writer for Zestiria to maybe work in a decent twist that wasn't visible from hours away! As for ToX2, I haven't put it in yet, because I'm trying to force myself to get all the trophies for ToX1 first, but I'll probably cave this weekend and put the game in finally.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Oh well, once I finish Xillia 2, I have some older ones I still need to play. I've had Tales of Legendia in my backlog for years, and I actually managed to snag a copy of Tales of Destiny 2 at a con last month.

I'm curious to see what you'll think of Legendia.

It'd be nice for some of the older Tales games to get a release here on PSN or something. I'd love to play Destiny 1 and 2 (I know we got Destiny on PS1 but I can never find it.)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
It took it being discounted for it sell maybe decently. That's not a ringing endorsement. If the argument is that these games needed to be on PS3 then it kind of shows that's not true. Lost Odyssey probably sold better on 360 then PS3's big nice budgeted Japanese exclusive. Plenty of the other exclusive jrpgs on the 360 porbably sold just as well if not more then what the Tales games do PS3.

So what would it being on PS3 over 360 really do? Maybe it would have been better multiplatform, but in the end Mistwalker had to go with who was wiling to actually give them money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
As far as "We don't give a ████ and neither should you" shows go, 12 Oz. Mouse was one of the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2