• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - In the Doghouse (ENG + JPN)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Great Podcast! Its always nice to have one saved for when I'm working on something.

I hope their successful in getting the finances since I am interested in seeing it (I am unfortunately able to fund since I'm just a college kid with no financial stability) but I can imagine it being a bit messy should their goal not be reached. As for whether they're being egotistical with this choice or not... I don't really get that impression, to me it just sounds like they had a shot to go a different direction and just took it. It probably would be easier if they did it the usual way but it seems like they're willing to take the risk, so hey let em.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yura-san is recognizing how the Japanese should do some shifting away from the moe (and LN) titles which even have a select audience.

Japan is running out of popular LN series to adapt, so that's one issue that will solve itself.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yura-san is recognizing how the Japanese should do some shifting away from the moe (and LN) titles which even have a select audience.

Japan is running out of popular LN series to adapt, so that's one issue that will solve itself.

But that's easy, they'll just move to other LNs and manga. I can't see some explosion of original content coming any time soon.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
HeeroTX, while you are mostly right about how people in any industry do tend to pay you to create their vision, I don't thinks that's always the case. I don't know any spec. situations but I think maybe there are some people who pay you to create your vision but don't know how it would work.

There are ALWAYS exceptions, but they are few and far between. And (again ALMOST) always because someone has proven they can make money, so it's more of an "investment". James Cameron could get money to make a movie about anything because he has the two highest grossing movies of all time and has proven he'll make money. But most people making decisions are risk averse because of the impact it can have on their OWN jobs. Therefore, someone like Cameron will get money because most people don't want to be the guy that turned down the Cameron project that makes a mint, but lots of projects get turned down because people don't want to be the guy that approved a bomb either.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
This was really cool! It was great to hear directly from the original creators of the work, and I'd love to see you do something like this again (I also got to practice my Japanese listening skills a bit, so bonus! xD).

I liked their answers a lot too, and I hope the project works out for them. The genre isn't my favorite so I hadn't pledged, but they made the project sound pretty interesting in the podcast (more interesting than the wall of text on the KS page) so I may pledge a bit now.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
This is the problem with our generation nowadays. While I can't speak for everyone, but people have become so risk averse that we as people don't want to make mistake and grow from failure and experience.

Honestly I don't know if this Kickstarter will succeed or not, but I want to give these guys a chance to thrive with their freedom. They're trying something new and as a fan, I really want to support them.

Best thing about Kickstarter is that patrons will not lose money if the project doesn't reach the goal.

Show this anime some love with your wallet instead of lip service. Again, we won't lose money even if it doesn't reach it's goal.

By the way, I'm a proud sponsor two previous Kickstarter anime projects. You're not blowing tons of money and pledge selection looks good.

Spread the word to your anime-loving friends about this. I did.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I liked their answers a lot too, and I hope the project works out for them. The genre isn't my favorite so I hadn't pledged, but they made the project sound pretty interesting in the podcast (more interesting than the wall of text on the KS page) so I may pledge a bit now.

Good for you. Even the small amount helps. Doing is always better than talking.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
This is the problem with our generation nowadays. While I can't speak for everyone, but people have become so risk averse that we as people don't want to make mistake and grow from failure and experience.

Maybe they're hesitant because of a real danger that enough failures will put you out of a job. It's not "a gee golly whiz I sure did bungle that anime and no one bought it, well back to the drawing board!" It's getting chewed out by the production committee and likely not being considered for work on a project next time.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Maybe they're hesitant because of a real danger that enough failures will put you out of a job. It's not "a gee golly whiz I sure did bungle that anime and no one bought it, well back to the drawing board!" It's getting chewed out by the production committee and likely not being considered for work on a project next time.

I'm not saying that they should fail all the times, but gaining learning experience of what to do and what not to do as projects and responsibilities get bigger. If a producer always fails as he/she gets bigger project, then he/she is a fool who never learns from experience.

Here's recent well known failure in anime industry. "When Marnie was there" failed in box office, the young producer who was responsible for marketing was criticized by THE SENIOR producer Toshio Suzuki for focusing marketing on teenage girls rather than general audience . Does it mean that young producer is forever branded as failure? We don't know, but I hope he learned his lesson by consulting with experienced people first when it comes to high budget project.

If Japanese media industry never tolerate failures regardless of the size of the project, then I see it as hopeless and doomed industry. How can we expect success from them when they never experienced failure from smaller, cheaper projects?
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

They mentioned they had other options, so it's not as if it was some idea that was shot down by every studio. They just wanted it to be longer/OVA length episodes rather than TV-size episodes.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't look now but the money raised for Under the Dog is skyrocketing. It's less than $50,000 away from the goal.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
If you are a content creator, there are times when the compromises you make hunt you. The blame of failure of any project never ends up with the executives or sales and marketing. No matter what stupid decision is made above their heads, Failure is always blamed solely on the creators even when its not deserved. Stupid decisions can cost you your career though no fault of your own. If it does fail then its their failure to own and that's easier to live with.

So i'm happy they are trying this.
$34,071 more to go
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3