• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press' Light Novel Imprint Adds Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I will definitely check out Hataraku Maou-sama and NGNL.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Impressive, still waiting on high School DxD though. It's all I want in book form.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
All titles I'm interested in which is great news, I'd buy them regardless but good to see some more great series licenced.

That said I'm still hoping Yen Press can licence the big guns of Mahouka, DxD and Infinite Stratos.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice additions. I might think about getting LH soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Will definitely be picking up No Game No Life! I'm glad they are giving more light novels a chance! I imagine they might be able to get Durarara soon, since they have the manga rights, and a new anime is coming out soon...

I also hope that they release Hitsugi no Chaika, but that's just my blind fanboyism!
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon was one of my favourite anime so I am very excited for the light novels to be licensed. Never bought LNs before so looking forward to them very much. Will Yen On be releasing volumes every 4 months? We should be caught up in 3 to 4 years depending on how many volumes are released in Japan. Not too bad...

The only other LNs I would really want are the Chuunibyou! LNs. The anime hasn't been licensed in the UK so there isn't really anyway for me to support the series (aside from importing which is out of my price range & wouldn't work on my DVD/Blu-Ray player anyway...)
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press FTW. Thank god these are coming out. I will gladly buy all three series.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It is a good thing that Yen is apparently doing well. From these new acquisitions, I am only interested in The Devil is a Part-Timer!, especially if no more anime of it is made.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up licensing Black Bullet and Mahouka, though out of those two I'd buy Black Bullet for sure.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they are taking more good series. I really love their Spice & Wolf translation. But I feel bad they are taking some series that already have decent english translation. Like Log Horizon. So it will take much longer to get the translated version now.
Spark_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still holding out hope for DRRR... but I will definitely be picking up some of these (probably LH) when they are released.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
I'm glad they are taking more good series. I really love their Spice & Wolf translation. But I feel bad they are taking some series that already have decent english translation. Like Log Horizon. So it will take much longer to get the translated version now.

But the light novel market is a very risky venture for Yen Press. They need to go after big titles like Log Horizon that they know have a presence in the USA to try and maximise sales so they can be successful. If they went after unknown titles that nobody had fan-translated, there would be a higher chance of failure & us not seeing any light novels at all. (& in the case of Log Horizon, it's releasing at about 1 novel per year so it shouldn't take Yen Press that long to catch up if they release 3 a year.)
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:

This is pretty much my #2 reason out of many reasons to why I stay away from fan-translations. You read ahead of the material, and and soon as the material gets licensed you have to wait to catch up again when it gets removed as you collect the books. Though in the long-run it's much, much better this way, especially for the creators and publishers.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to hear, I'll definitely pick up the Log Horizon light novels.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying they shouldn't take famous titles. For example SAO has really horrible fantranslation for most of the volumes and some other things like NGNL or Vanadis didn't have normal full translation at all. I just feeling a bit upset that they picked the series I planned to read which has full decent translation. And I just hope they have enough staff and this won't affect their older titles like Spice & Wolf. Cause I planned to buy the last volumes than they'll come up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5