• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Star of Cottonland

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
it looks wonderful. thanks for giving me another title tha I have to go out and search for. (no anger included)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Belle and Sebastian! I adored that series when I was younger.

I can't wait to watch this film. Once again, thank you so much for a wonderful column Justin!
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
This was a pretty good Disney-esque 'watching the sun set' (my way of saying stuff where nothing happens like Yokohama Cafe) kinda film. Good to see you review it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
...Well, I'm amused.

I was curious enough about this anime to do a Yahoo search on it, and one of the first pages I got was a review of it that said in part of the review "also recommended: Princess Tutu". I'm not sure exactly what made the reviewer connect the two, but...that's good enough for me! Laughing Getting the fansub as we speak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week, a rare look at an early example of moe anime. Except, the main character is a cat. Does that still count?

Yes, a cat is fine too. Laughing

Quote:
While I'll admit the concept of moe doesn't really appeal to me, I have no problem with the genre itself...

As with most borderline creepy subgenres in anime, moe started out as a children's genre...

While I agree with the reviewer regarding the overall merit of The Star of Cottonland, I have to take issue with this. Sorry, but when a reviewer states that they have "no problem" with something and turns right around and refers to it as "borderline creepy" they have crossed over the line separating insincerity from hypocrisy. There is no point in trying to downplay a negative bias in the beginning when what is written afterward announces it with a trumpet fanfare.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto and Free Collar Kingdom both did something similar, but The Star of Cottonland came much earlier, and was a bit more realistic. It's a very cute, charming film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I sort of agree with Furudanuki, and it's not accurate to say "borderline creepy" anyway. For moe fans, it's not creepy at all. For people who are opposed to moe as something perverted, it's definitely beyond "borderline". It would have been safer and more accurate to simply that it's controversial among some fans.

Quote:
But moe is an interesting issue, since it involves taking emotions that are among the most respectable a human can have -- the desire to protect and nurture -- and fetishises those emotions.

This is basically true. Of course, I think Justin is using the word fetish is the general, not-necessarily-sexual sense. If that's the case, I like his definition of moe as quoted above. It leaves opinions behind and only states what is indisputable. A choice of wording slightly more likely to provoke flames, though still basically true, would be "-- and commercializes those emotions."

But let's see if we can avoid this thread becoming Loligeddon Redux. I don't want to see any more long-timers leave the forum.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Quote:
While I'll admit the concept of moe doesn't really appeal to me, I have no problem with the genre itself...

As with most borderline creepy subgenres in anime, moe started out as a children's genre...

While I agree with the reviewer regarding the overall merit of The Star of Cottonland, I have to take issue with this. Sorry, but when a reviewer states that they have "no problem" with something and turns right around and refers to it as "borderline creepy" they have crossed over the line separating insincerity from hypocrisy. There is no point in trying to downplay a negative bias in the beginning when what is written afterward announces it with a trumpet fanfare.

Didn't mean to offend. Anything can be borderline creepy when some people take it too far. The other "borderline creepy" genre I was thinking of was magical girl shows. Started off as a kids genre, some of my favorite shows are magical girl, but some people completely and utterly freak me out with their love for it, and it's inescapable that this sometimes taints and perverts the perception of the genre. Even moreso when new shows are made with the creepiness in mind.

Exact same thing with moe. Nothing wrong with it, has inspired some great shows, but it seems to attract some truly creepy fans. Heck, I could say the same about ALL of anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Yes, a cat is fine too. Laughing

Type Moon reference? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
Quote:

Didn't mean to offend. Anything can be borderline creepy when some people take it too far. The other "borderline creepy" genre I was thinking of was magical girl shows. Started off as a kids genre, some of my favorite shows are magical girl, but some people completely and utterly freak me out with their love for it, and it's inescapable that this sometimes taints and perverts the perception of the genre. Even moreso when new shows are made with the creepiness in mind.

Exact same thing with moe. Nothing wrong with it, has inspired some great shows, but it seems to attract some truly creepy fans. Heck, I could say the same about ALL of anime.

No offense taken - I just felt that the manner in which those comments were presented did a disservice to what was otherwise a well presented review, and I appreciate your clarification. I apparently have a higher tolerence for moe than yourself - probably a side effect of being a romance junkie - but I'm not about to disagree that there are some fans of the genre who go a lot further out on that limb than I would consider comfortable. But, as you indicated, that could probably be said of almost any other genre as well.

dormcat wrote:
Type Moon reference? Laughing

You betcha! Given that opening, I simply could not resist... Wink
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting movie, think I'm going to have to watch out for a fansub if Dad doesn't keep yelling at me about my downloads. The storyline reminds of Tonari no Totoro, a sweet movie with no really big plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

But let's see if we can avoid this thread becoming Loligeddon Redux. I don't want to see any more long-timers leave the forum.

I really have to wonder why it's this subject in particular that people get so ramped up and easily offended and upset over. It's like the only thing guaranteed to make people on both sides of the argument explode.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I really have to wonder why it's this subject in particular that people get so ramped up and easily offended and upset over. It's like the only thing guaranteed to make people on both sides of the argument explode.
Both sides have strong views on the subject. As obvious as that sounds, it's also the truth. The two sides are diametrically opposed with basically no middle ground to stand on.

It doesn't help that even when trying to sound neutral on a subject, words like "creepy" keep getting used. I appreciate jsevakis's clarification, but it's almost an unofficial rule that every discussion of moe or loli or whatever has to include some sort of declaration that either the genre is "creepy" or the fans are.

It's really easy to inflame tempers when one side feels like it's constantly being attacked and the other side feels like they're arguing with people who are perverts.

*Edited to correct a stupid error.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

I have no idea why. I mean, I was taking the opposite side of the argument from you in the Nymphet thread (although I've since changed my mind, just for the record; after seeing certain scans from the title, I apologize for my ignorant position). But ultimately, I didn't care that much either way. I left the thread for a week and didn't see what happened after that to have things go downhill so far.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Haha, an actual Buried Treasure movie that I saw!

The Star of Cottonland is a very cute movie. A little creepy, but only because it seems to turn a little weird by the second half. And that white cat who I forget the name of is strange. But aren't all 80's cartoons like that? XP
I recommend watching it. Chibineko is such a sweet character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2