• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia 2.0 Wishlist

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I think it's about time to have an organized list of what we want added or fixed in a future version of the Encyclopedia.

It's ok to re-post suggestions from the Encyclopedia Suggestion List.
It's recommended to re-post suggestions made in other threads.
It's requested to post about things that have annoyed you for a long time in the Encyclopedia.
It's crucial to post about recurring problems that we haven't been able to fix because of the way the Encyclopedia is currently structured.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The ability to mark cast roles as spoilers. Specifically in the case of characters with multiple identities, where major spoilers are in the cast list. A not-so-spoilery example would be Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon. Instead, it would be able to be listed as Usagi Tsukino/[ ], and you could highlight to see the spoiler (obviously, it's not working here since I just used spaces). I prefer the "highlight to see" (like TV Tropes uses) rather than the hover that the forums have, since it takes up less space.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Personal Error Report Tracking

Company Job Importance And also the precision fields should be visible from company pages.

I'd like the age ratings revamped. Maybe something like separate 1-10 scales for violence, sexuality, language... adult situations/drug use maybe? Possibly make it episode by episode? A show like Slayers is really kid friendly, then in the final fight the violence gets slightly bloody bu tin the current guidelines the difference between bloodless violence and bloody violence is a whole bump up and it happens in only one episode.

We should make it a policy to use archive.org for dead links instead of hiding them, for things like personal and company websites.

Maybe convince somebody fluent in Korean to clean up our mess a bit? Wink

Maybe just add more editors too. Is braves still around?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
By far the thing I would like most for the encyclopedia is to have a better way to get submissions, corrections, and error reports taken care of. For instance, I've posted lots of things in the thread for linking anime that have never gotten taken care of. It would be useful if things like that could be integrated with the error report system so that when you submit one it would at least be tracked by the system. Also, it would be really nice to find a way to get more people to take care of the error reports and anime/manga submission queues.

A feature I would really like is a search tool with all the functionality of the genre search and list tool combined, plus more search criteria on top of that. I really like that the list tool lets you limit searches to a specific release format (e.g., OAV), unlike the genre search that only lets you specify series or movie (with "movie" actually meaning anything that doesn't have multiple episodes). I also really like that the list tool shows you which of the results you've seen (in the form of a small image next to the ones you've seen). For the genre search, I like that it lets you exclude hentai titles, lets you specify a date range for results, and lets you order things by rating or by date (the list tool allows date, but not rating). If there was one search that could do all those things, it would be great. For instance, I'd like to be able to do something like search for all non-hentai OAVs from the 1990s that I haven't yet seen, and then sort those by rating or by date.

For auditing genres and themes, I've always wished I could enter a comment like with a normal error report. While usually just voting yes or no is sufficient, there have been some times when I wanted to explain why I thought something wasn't an appropriate genre or theme.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

Company Job Importance And also the precision fields should be visible from company pages.

I agree with those, and I also think companies should have kana/kanji task translations as people do.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Expanded entry field length and full set of designators for media-type when creating new releases.
Allow volume titles to be added to previously added releases (like we can add precisions to staff/cast listings.)
Chapter title entry defaulting to multi-input when you have the function turned on.
Maybe not have a "logout" link right next to the "I know this" button.
Fix the Rakuten scraper and maybe let it scrape TRSI's product page when the API comes up empty-handed. At least for manga, as product IDs are the ISBN, but so much the better if the method also allows for adding old catalog titles.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
A separate entry type specifically for bands and idol groups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree that the content ratings need to be overhauled. I've seen pretty tame kids' shows with objectionable content ratings of "significant." Is it worth putting distributors' ratings on a page? In the case of anime, you could use UK and AUS ratings as well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Here's three I've submitted to the tracker:
Social Media infotype
NSFW Flag for outbound links
Release Database: Disc regioning system

---

On the editing side, I propose a complete change in how changes are made to existing credits:

If something is wrong but can be correct without deleting it outright (e.g. a misspelling or mis-attribution rather than an outright falsehood), then it should be.
A log should be maintained of all changes by editors, and also by the original submitter (unless a change is made within, say, 30 mins of entry). This makes understanding the history of a piece of data easier.
When making an error report a user should be able to re-enter the information as they believe it should be displayed. An editor will be shown the proposed change and can approve or deny it with one click (with an optional comment).
If a credit is moved from one person to another (rather than, say, correcting a character name), a flag should remain at the original location visible only to editors (as a hidden credit is now).
As with the current system, it should be possible to forbid re-entry of something that is incorrect but liable to be re-entered. This error message should be linked to the original error report so it can be re-opened if necessary.

For example:
Sayaka Honda is credited for a performance in Schoolgirl Milky Crisis. She has no other credits and the source is the romanised credits on the English DVDs.
An error report is made to the effect that this should be Himawari Honda, who has existing credits, based on the Japanese credits because 本田 葵 could be read either way.
An editor approves the change, ticking a box that generates and error message should anyone try to re-enter the original version. They also tick that original user retains their submission credit (as per "redeemed" in the current system) and the user who reported the error also gets a submission credit.

Some time later it becomes apparent that there really is a Sayaka Honda with the same kanji and the error report is re-opened. Since the original entry, the first error report and the move are all on file it is clear exactly what has happened so the credit can be moved back and again, a linked flag left under Himawari.

---

Japanese names:

The primary key should be the Kanji (when known), not the romaji, since this is usually clearly defined. The reading in hiragana should also be stored (a confidence level may be a good idea for the reading), which would then automatically generate a Romaji version using our preferred system which would be used as the display name for the person except in cases where they have a different preferred or at least popularised romanisation of their name e.g. Masamune Shirow and Leiji Matsumoto. I would also suggest being able to list other alternatives (e.g. if their name is romanised differently on DVDs or Manga from different US companies).

With the romaji no longer being the primary key, it makes it easier to deal with low level staff who's reading is hard if not impossible to confirm. If it is undesirably to display them using Kanji alone (which I assume is the case) then a presumed reading can be set with a low confidence, and easily corrected if a different reading can be confirmed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Something else for releases:

It would be good if the standard release entry form would accept a UPC as well as a URL. Given a UPC the system is perfectly capable of locating the product on RightStuf and other stores, but given only a RightStuf URL (which is usually the only valid store for NISA and AoA) it is incapable of determining the UPC.

What I usually do is manually create a skeleton entry with just the UPC, name and product type, save it, then when refreshed it automagically fills in the other details from TRSI. If we could just enter the UPC the same way any user can enter a URL now, this process would be quicker and easier (and less prone to user error) and these limited distribution titles could then be entered by savvy users as well as editors.

---

Another thing I've wanted so long I forgot all about it is on-the-fly reordering of Encyclopedia pages, so you can click column headers are re-order credits by year, name, role, title etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
黒鍵

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
My wishlist:

1. Allow users to create new person entries regardless if a name with an identical romanji reading is already in the encyclopedia.

Somewhat related to Shiroi Hane's suggestion of having Japanese names as the primary key above, one of the recurring issues with adding Japanese staff or cast entries as an ordinary ANN member is that the system prohibits new entries if an identical romanji reading is already in the encyclopedia. Since many Japanese given names share common romanji readings, this problem do happen rather frequently.

Having this feature might help to reduce the number of split or deletion requests.

2. Allow the user to freely amend the romanji reading or completely delete person entries made by the user him/herself.

Sometimes we only realize the mistake after the entry has been made. Right now, the only thing we can do is to clear out the persons page in question but an empty shell is still left behind.

3. A third category other than Family and Given Names.

The current naming system feels very restrictive, particularly for artists or groups who may have names that cannot be differentiated into family and given names.

4. Allow multiple kana/kanji entries for names.

This would be useful for staff whose names have appeared in both kanji and kana, or in old, current and alternative kanji forms. For example, 「中島和典」, 「中嶋和典」, 「中島かずのり」, 「なかじまかずのり」.

5. Better formatting in People pages to organize and show connections between persons and groups.

In addition to the special category mentioned by octopodpie above, I feel that the encyclopedia can provide a better presentation when it comes to showing relations between people and groups. For example, there are no direct links available between Yousei Teikoku and Yui Itsuki even though they are related. By comparison, the database structure utilized by anison.info seems to handle this a lot better. Merging pages currently seems to result in a rather messy final product.

The above would be great for the following:
a. An artist who holds membership with multiple acts or groups
b. A group with many prolific members who have credits of their own
c. An artist or staff who goes by a few pseudonyms
d. Marriages.

There are some pros and cons to some of these features (e.g. 1 and 2 might open up the encyclopedia to spam and vandalism if not implemented properly), but I feel that these are good features to have from my own perspective. However, I must put up a disclaimer here that I am not sure how technically feasible my suggestions are. In any case, I am really looking forward to 2.0 since I think the encyclopedia is really long overdue for an overhaul.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
With the [general] move away from singles, the increase in re/omnibus releases, and the rise of license rescues, there needs to be a better way to group/segregate related releases and sort or display the delineation of content contained in that release.

Edit (12/2/14): I was just thinking, it would be nice if release creation allowed for multi-input. At first it could just allow for significantly fewer calls on the website by allowing links for all the stores to be added in one pass (thus also helping to avoid throttling issues among unsubscribed contributors during heavier sessions.) However, it would be better if this eventually grew into the ability to throw multiple links for multiple releases in the same series at the same time, and they would be grouped by the scraper (an earlier iteration/middle-step may require manually grouping with a [/release] break in between.) This would make it simpler by not needing as many store windows/tabs going at once, and help provide a way to move misread items between the releases.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
With the tracker gone, I'm going to try and remember my thoughts on the releases system again.

Format and language should be disconnected. I can't see any good reason why "sub-only" and "combo" should be linked (and currently they aren't; there are no language options for BD+DVD combos). Format (BD, DVD, VHS) and language (English dub, sub or both/hybrid) should be selectable separately.

Regions codes are making less and less sense - UK and AU BDs are both Region B, while a lot of "Region A" (US) discs are physically A+B or all region (and I have some US DVDs that are region 1,2+4 or all region as well). Combos currently are not separated by region at all, and in terms of codes they span both the letter and number schemes. It would make more sense to segregate releases by country of release (although the ability to record the physical region codes on the discs would still be good).
gudvinr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
One thing that i really want to see is a grouping items by series. Because a lot of titles has prequels, sequels, many side stories and so on. And it'll be great to have 'series list' instead of 'all seasons list'. It's easier to aggregate series-related news, easier to find something (since the list is much shorter), etc.

Another suggestion is applicable not only to encyclopedia. I think some parts of whole ANN must have more flexible layout, because now it looks awful on wide screens.

And the last one relates only to dev stuff. I want to see json version of api besides xml. I don't really like xml, but i have working xml parser for current api so it's just a personal opinion, not a claim. It'll be cool to have it anyway.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
WRT age ratings, I don't think it's appropriate nor accurate. Every region has different ratings, sometimes vastly different, and even the same title or series can be rated differently when it moves from one publisher to another. Content indicators would be more appropriate.

But on this topic, how about the original demographics label? This is black and white for manga/LN titles and anime based on them.

And one feature request is relation graphs similar to anidb's. For example Fate/Stay Night: anime#5394

See anidb page: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3348
then click on the Relations link for: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=3348

It's organized chronologically in-universe, with older at the top and more recent (in-universe) at the bottom--see the "prequel" and "sequel" labels; see also the "You are here" icon. It also has different relationship vectors linked to the proper node too, such as alternative settings, and shared characters and shared settings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3