• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nymphet Creator, U.S. Publisher Blog on Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Yep, cultural boundaries strikes again.

What a nation we live in where the naked body is looked upon with either disgust or ravenous perversion...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Similarly, as a kindergardener in volume 2, Rin-chan took a bath with Reiji, who washed her head. However, in America, a small child can only take a bath alone. An adult, even a parent, who takes a bath with a child would be arrested—that made me realize the differences in cultures.

I feel bad they took it that way because its not true. parents and kids take baths together all the time....someone needs to tell them that. Unless i'm mistaken and thats not true? I know speaking for my family as a kid you take baths with the older kids or parents when you're younger. 1. So you don't drown in the tub, 2. So they make sure you actually get clean....theres more to go on there.

Maybe I misunderstood what he misunderstood?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
james039

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
In Japan it is fairly commonplace for parent and child to actually bathe together in the same tub. I do not believe it is the same in America. However, naturally, one must supervise particularly young children for their bath so that they do not get into any trouble.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Quote:
Similarly, as a kindergardener in volume 2, Rin-chan took a bath with Reiji, who washed her head. However, in America, a small child can only take a bath alone. An adult, even a parent, who takes a bath with a child would be arrested—that made me realize the differences in cultures.

I feel bad they took it that way because its not true. parents and kids take baths together all the time....someone needs to tell them that. Unless i'm mistaken and thats not true? I know speaking for my family as a kid you take baths with the older kids or parents when you're younger. 1. So you don't drown in the tub, 2. So they make sure you actually get clean....theres more to go on there.

I have to agree with you, it may not be as common here as in Japan but it's not illegal... or at the very least wasn't when I was a little kid. granted, I was a little kid in the 80's and things can change in two decades...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, after having looked over what's been going on with Nymphet, there was probably a little bit too much going on. She probably had no ill intention of creating the manga, hell there's a lot worse titles out there. Had their been the crossing of lines in there, then it would have been something worthwhile pointing out (as far as Japanese culture is concerned). There's just too much of a line between Japan and the US of A.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, something was obviously lost in translation. If incest was such a big problem, Angel Sanctuary and Koi Kaze would never have seen the light of day here.

My guess is someone just heard of the cancellation and controversy and assumed it was due to the 'incest.'
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But in this scene in the third volume, it shows him getting literally, physically aroused by her (the original Japanese text unmistakably and unequivocally backs this up.) This is what completely crossed the line for me, and showed me that I could no longer defend releasing this title. Yes, there are other questionable scenes as well, but it isn't my job to go through a graphic play-by-play of all the objectionable material. Suffice it to say that this one scene crossed the point of no return. I don't see how anyone can possibly defend this scene.

Well, to defend the "indefensible," just because someone gets a hard-on doesn't mean they're attracted to someone. For some people anything rubbing against their crotch could cause that reaction, it wouldn't have to be human. Arousal /= attraction.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Yeah, I think there are a lot of misconceptions on Watashiya's part about the cause of the cancellation. Child/parent bathing is nowhere near as rare as she thinks and I've certainly never heard or any mother or father being arrested for taking a bath with their kids. I used to bathe with my parents and younger brothers all the time when I was a little girl.

And I think the success (or, at the very least, the lack of radical mass disapproval) of Koi Kaze proved that incest isn't as wildly taboo a subject for Western consumers as she thinks.

The scenes she decided Americans thought were problematic weren't even the cause of the cancellation. She's making a lot of hasty assumptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Remember this was all done through a web translater. Those things can seriously get key words or ideas wrong. So its no surprize the creator has the wrong idea. Seems to be taking it well though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, web translators certainly aren't known for their accuracy, but I'm not sure how they got to wrong volume and a completely different issue simply because of babelfish (or something like it).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
cause we really needed another Nymphet topic...

Its really time for this issue to die.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Actually that's probably a good idea, why don't we have Zac close this thread now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
One has to wonder which sites Kaworu Watashiya was reading, and what those people are saying/writing in those sites. Fans can have some huge misconceptions at times grasping at straws. Laughing

Obviously, this crosses Jason DeAngelis' line, and he's the one who's releasing it, so it's his line that matters. You don't want people releasing stuff they don't believe in, do you? Anime catgrin

Now I wonder if those people who hated the Nymphet title are retracting the ubiquitous "creator's intent" defense. Razz

Still, people don't realize that Japan can go over the line sometimes. Heck, I've seen some doujinshi that make light (not necessarily make fun, but there's some of that too) of 9/11 even. Oh well. Confused
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, how can she not get it? I would've thought it'd been pretty God damn clear to the series' creator that she was drawing a fricking 9 year old slut.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Actually that's probably a good idea, why don't we have Zac close this thread now.

agreed. Especially if this fails to generate new discussion and just rehashes the same old debate. (It is already starting to do that a bit). Its time to let this go. Its been canceled. End of Story. Everything that can possibly be said on that has been said.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3