• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Kimagure Orange Road

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Boku no Brassiere Island

I demand a full column on what is obviously a tragically overlooked gem.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
I think one of the aspects of Kimagure Orange Road I like best is that it is, in some ways, the inverse of a magical girlfriend manga in that it's the guy that has the powers, but even though the girl lacks any kind of ESPer abilities, Madoka pretty much always has the upper hand on Kyosuke due to her being strong-willed while Kyosuke is very indecisive.

I am eternally grateful that J'ai Lu/Flammarion published all 18 volumes of the manga in French in the 1990s (and unflipped to boost).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Say it's the year 2014 and you have no interest in all this '80s stuff (even *I* feel I've overdone it this column)

You haven't overdone it! Thanks for this! I remember being in my early teens in the late 80s/early 90s, finally scamming a Usenet account and getting onto the anime newsgroups, only to find everyone raving about Kimagure Orange Road rather than pointing me in the direction of what I should watch after Robotech. Now I have a less stringent robot requirement for my media; I should really give this a try... and please keep covering stuff from the past!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll skip work and read all 18 volumes if they would only make them in paperback first. Wink
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
KOR is still one of my favorites, even though I saw the anime first and went back to read the manga. I too was one of those people who appropriated the college anime club's VHS copies (In the box sets no less! And I later learned THEY THREW THEM OUT! ARRRRGH). This was around 2003. Good times, and even now the series still fills me with the ultimate in nostalgia, rivaled only by my love for the Urusei Yatsura anime.

I definitely agree it embodies the one facet of the 80's boom times with its sense of innocence and wistfulness. It's nearly the most 80's thing in anime if you don't count, say, Bubblegum Crisis (owing in no part to gratuitous Streets of Fire homages). The openings and endings in the show were fantastic. The 2nd OP and ED in particular scream 80's more than anything else.

Madoka wasn't my first anime crush, but I sort of wish she was.
Half Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
KOR is still a remarkable series, even after all these years. Thank-you for the wonderful write-up... I hope more people discover this nearly lost gem as a result.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This is one that I've always been interested in and never really gotten around into looking too deeply into it. I love me a good shonen romance tale (a genre that is sadly dying out it seems, bah), so if this is the one that I have to thank for kicking that off...than man, do I really have to get around to it sooner rather than later!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sajen_Freyberg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I loved Kimagure Orange Road.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'll skip work and read all 18 volumes if they would only make them in paperback first. Wink

Seconded.

This write up about the series, which I know only by name, has me wanting to actually check it out. I knew nothing about this series before reading this column. Laughing

Hope that it does see print. Maybe it'll be a series I check out digitally, but that'd mean it'll be a long time before I do so. But, just like Iris Zero before it, I'll wait as it's web page does say "Print Edition (not available for now)".
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're in California, you can see Matsumoto from August 22-24 at the Japan Expo in San Mateo County Expo Center, where he's a guest of honor.

I'm sure this article was written a couple weeks ago, but you might want to change this to the past tense.

Anyways, what made me read the manga was Matsumoto himself. I usually try to read or watch something a guest has worked on prior to meeting them at a convention if I'm unfamiliar with their work. For me, if a guest is a nice person in real life, I'll go out of my way to support their work.

Although I had met Matsumoto several years ago at Anime Expo, it wasn't until PMX 2013 when I had a chance to get to know him. He's a really sweet guy in person, and one of the few guests I've met that will talk about the problems they've faced. Most guest panels tend to revolve around their work, their creative process and things of that nature. But Matsumoto talked about his illness and how the pain and inability was so much that he was on the verge of committing suicide. I love how grateful he is for his fans and how much he really appreciates that he's still remembered and admired by these people despite his last popular work being almost 30 years old.
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I love KOR, but the way everyone treated Hikaru made me so angry!!!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
I love KOR, but the way everyone treated Hikaru made me so angry!!!

HIKARU 4-EVER!!!

Yeah, I always liked Hikaru better too. >_>

In response to another poster, sorry I wrote about the August 22-24 date like it hadn't happened yet! As you guessed, this article was written earlier in August but had to be delayed for various reasons.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
I watched the series, movies and checked the manga. The only thing I felt after all that is Hikaru was a victim of Kyosuke's weak personality and Madoka's lies. Laughing
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
I watched the series, movies and checked the manga. The only thing I felt after all that is Hikaru was a victim of Kyosuke's weak personality and Madoka's lies. Laughing

I know! She's so open and honest and direct! Plus, short hair is the hottest! -_- (Or at least so I thought in the late '90s)
ppayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Nice post. I basically taught myself Japanese with KOR, and used to obsess about it a lot. I also translated the first two novels, if you can find them out in the Interwebs.

It was a great show, with the manga having a few advantages over the anime (better writing in most places, especially a really satisfying ending). A great example of a love triangle with "plus alpha" (additional elements, I've been living in Japan too long) to hold interest...although I get the feeling that he wanted to tell some kind of origin story of the Espers and never got around to it. The anime was excellent, one of the great Akemi Takada designed shows of the 80s, and certain episodes were among the best the period had to offer (episode 43 comes to mind).

The only complaint I have about this article would have been, why not show iconic (and better drawn) pictures from the lat 4-5 volumes instead of the harder-to-read earlier volumes? All manga of the period had issues with the art being semi-bad at first then getting onto a higher quality plateau.

Peter Payne of J-List
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3