• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
You know what I find especially frustrating about this show's pacing issues? The way it manages to feel both too slow sometimes and too rushed at other times. I mean, a lot of pacing issues I think stem from simply trying to fit too much or too little material into a 12 or 13 episode show. If you're not willing to make drastic changes (and lord knows anime adaptations aren't) you end up in a bit of a no win situation. But here, I get the impression they just don't really know what they're doing. We slog through two and a half, almost three, full episodes of training and reflection after the last big battle. And then we turn around and blast through the super rushed spoiler[attack on the school] in half an episode. It's just kinda mind boggling. Although, if the animation is any indication, they may also just not know how to manage their budget.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
This from the same writing/directing team that made The World God Only Knows franchise, so one would think they'd know what they're doing. The director's other directing credits are either pure comedy (most of the Galaxy Angel franchise) or cutesy stuff, though, so maybe a lack of experience with more heavily-themed, action-oriented titles is showing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well we have a reason gloomy spoiler[teleporter is doing evil things, she thinks of herself as already dirtied by killing three would be rapists]. But why in the world are they continuing to do evil, from what I can gather the lot of them are being exactly what they hate: pushing people down, forcing their opinions on others, and probably more.

I wonder if it would have been so bad to just go with the scary government thugs, it might have been the best way to show they are not a threat, maybe if they were nicer about it. Well famous thoughts before becoming the part of some sort of Weapon X program.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But why in the world are they continuing to do evil, from what I can gather the lot of them are being exactly what they hate: pushing people down, forcing their opinions on others, and probably more.

Hokusai (the professor) was driven insane by his wife's death. Daughter Minami might have been able to cope with her own grief but not her father's. The rest of them are twisted individuals who have become drunk with new power after being victimized themselves for many years. None of this seems to be much of a stretch.
Quote:
I wonder if it would have been so bad to just go with the scary government thugs, it might have been the best way to show they are not a threat

Oh yeah. Tell that to the inmates at Gitmo, many of whom aren't guilty of any crime except being in the wrong place at the wrong time but have been "well taken care of" for more than ten years now. Even the authorities who want to let them go can't find a place to do it.

Now I doubt the characters of Tokyo ESP would have thought in those terms, but they should have. Governments acting to protect "national security" cannot be trusted.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
The villain's motivations do seem to be a bit in conflict with their actions, but the way I read it, they are sort of "taking one for the team," they know that they are sinners, but they are willing to dirty their hands as much as possible to bring about a utopian future that perhaps they don't really deserve for themselves.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
But why in the world are they continuing to do evil, from what I can gather the lot of them are being exactly what they hate: pushing people down, forcing their opinions on others, and probably more.

Hokusai (the professor) was driven insane by his wife's death. Daughter Minami might have been able to cope with her own grief but not her father's. The rest of them are twisted individuals who have become drunk with new power after being victimized themselves for many years. None of this seems to be much of a stretch.

Having thought about it a bit more it occurs to me this theme was also used in Shin Sekai Yori where the structure of civilization ended up completely collapsing due to individuals getting supernatural powers. Some of them just went totally amoral and murdered without end until they were stopped. The same thing seems to be happening here.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Worst episode of the series. Not even joking. They tried to cram so much into this episode and it's rather lame.

Animation- Sure it wasn't as bad as say Wizard Barristers episode 11 but it was still bad to the point it was noticeable. So many still frames in the fighting scenes and the animations during said scene were so choppy that i have no idea how you couldn't notice it. Heck even the character models were off from their original design from time to time. Main point it wasn't horrible but it was still bad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They ALREADY screwed up this adaptation when it first started! That first episode? Complete waste of time they could have used for fleshing out the story better instead of rushing like they have. The only excuse I've seen for that awful choice in direction is "oh we gotta draw in the action junkies!". Stupid. Not only does it spoil who is going to die or live through all this nonsense but like I said it simply wastes time that they could have been using to properly adapt as much as they could have. So in my opinion this is just a straight up incompetent staff.

In fact they've added unnecessary things that don't contribute the story at all (there are extra evil espers that weren't originally there in the anime). I can understand things being rushed. That happens all the time these days. But I can't really give them much credit with this one since they not only wasted an entire episode on bullshit that should have been used on the story but added extra details that did not enhance the material it is based on in any way.

The writing in this particular episode was beyond that. The spoiler[villains for some reason don't confirm the kill on Rinka even though they easily could have.] Oh spoiler[heart stopped] guess there is no way she could possibly survive now right? Because spoiler[choking people is always a sure fire way to kill] someone instead of spoiler[dropping a huge object on them or stabbing them with a sword.] Did these people ever get some decent education in their lives? Let's just spoiler[leave her and not MAKE SURE we finish the job that we were SPECIFICALLY ASSIGNED TO DO!] Good going guys we'll see you in the after party! Dumb villains the sake of plot armor.

And now thespoiler[ fish conveniently leaves Rinka as soon as the police show up and Espers are now treated as criminals.] They didn't build up this "Me against the world" situation properly at all. I just see it as contrived nonsense that happened in a unreasonably short span of time. The pacing is just so horrible.

As for spoiler[Rinka losing] well let's put it this way. You have an two episodes dedicated to a characters training. You see that character master that training. Next episode. You have that character spoiler[get the tar beat out them as they can't even manage to land a single hit.] Sorry but that's just bad storytelling. Common sense tells you to have the hero USE the things they just learned when they get into the next big fight. Nope. spoiler[She just gets her azz kicked.......again.] It just doesn't make any sense. News to Rinka's brain. You don't have tospoiler[ severely hurt someone to get them off of you.] But no let's just spoiler[stand there and take the beating doing nothing to help ourselves.]

I like the anime when it doesn't take itself seriously but now that it's getting to the drama crap with just flimsy execution I don't know why I'm supposed to care.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Not going to refute that this was the worst episode of the series and was loaded with problems. However, I will address a couple of particular points:

leatherhead333 wrote:
Did these people ever get some decent education in their lives? Let's just spoiler[leave her and not MAKE SURE we finish the job that we were SPECIFICALLY ASSIGNED TO DO!] Good going guys we'll see you in the after party! Dumb villains the sake of plot armor.

In fairness, the circumstances under which at least a couple of the villains were picked up strongly implied that they weren't educated well to begin with.
Quote:

And now thespoiler[ fish conveniently leaves Rinka as soon as the police show up and Espers are now treated as criminals.]

Uh, no, that happened before the police showed up.

The rest of your complaints I had less issue with or even agreed with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
...Man I really don't know if I am enjoying thing show that much anymore.

I finally caught up now (my computer broke and took me a while to replace it) and after watching the up to episode 9 I don't really see what the point of Rinka is.

Going back to the first episode they were talking about her like she was some sort of great hero or someone that is supposed to be formidable.... But nearly every episode she just constantly gets her butt handed to her. Why would anyone be hoping she would show up... she is quite useless (unless you are in need of a punching bag).

I hope something changes for these last episodes, because this has started becoming a let down.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 9 really blew. We see good guys getting the crap kicked out of them again. It was a bit confusing, but I think why Rinka spoiler[didn't fight back properly is that she was being controlled by that chick who was also controlling the other students.] But it was just so unsatisfying to see the good guys losing so badly. I guess we'll just have to wait until the show decides they're allowed to be effective again. Whee.

And Azuma spoiler[is taken away by Minami AGAIN. Jesus H. what was the point of repeating that beat?]

Gee, I wonder if we get to see some degree of effectiveness next time or is it going to be more of the same?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Ouch, poor spoiler[Rinka got one of those criminal marks on her arm now...seriously, poor girl. She doesn't deserve that.]

We find out even more about spoiler[Minami's father and his past. Well, let's just say it's not pretty. A bunch of more built-up this episode. I'm guessing they are aiming for some sort of grand finale soon with this ongoing struggle. Not expecting too much though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Rinka in depressed mode.
Azuma stuck on the island in the middle of nowhere.
Guess he's not gonna go anywhere anytime soon.
spoiler[Rinka joined the others in detainment center.]
Things aren't looking good at all..
Flashbacks to the past were very interesting.
At least they finally explained from where the fish came from.
Still, that explanation of the origin of the fish was just unreal.
Anyway... it was good to find out how it all began.
The bad guy just doesn't seem as bad anymore...
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Two words... Mind Blown

Episode 10 was without a doubt the best episode of Tokyo ESP, and probably one of the best episodes of anime that I have seen in months. Everything felt like it was executed near flawlessly. (I mean, with last week's episode being so abysmal, I suppose we were due for something great.) And there were aspects that took me by surprise as well.

The "Professor's" backstory was fantastic, and the fact that they were able to contain it all in about 2/3 of one episode was quite awesome. It explains pretty much everything that we've seen from him thus far. It certainly doesn't make him right in any sense, but it shows us why he became the madman he is. Most impactful was probably spoiler[that final scene between him and his wife, which felt very real. I mean, we barely knew her but the direction of that scene made it seem like we had a good grasp of the depth of their love. (The direction was very smart about using that "wrinkles" joke between the two of them to create that sense of them as best friends as well as husband and wife.)] Also, spoiler[Azuma's parents were given just enough character that their deaths were also felt.]

In addition to the emotional aspects, there was also a really intriguing theme of spoiler[mystery and corruption which we hadn't known about before, regarding both the Japanese and (Italian?) governments. A third villain was created, and it doesn't feel like it was totally contrived. It makes sense that there would be mysterious "higher ups" in the governments who would kill off the archaeologists once they found something like they did, and try to keep it for secret research.] I was really happy with the revelation of the spoiler[third force], since it will almost certainly make the remainder of this story a lot more fun.

And, last but certainly not least, I guess there had been some spoiler[religious overtones] before but I really was still surprised that the spoiler[item they were searching for (and the one that created all the powers) was the Ark of the Covenant + Ten Commandments.] It suddenly casts a whole new light on everything we've seen before. The spoiler[fish, the tablet fragments, even the damn penguin! His name is "collector" and he collects fish. I mean, it seems like the penguin is some kind of reference to Jesus, intentionally or unintentionally (fisher of men)]. Everything else was really amazing from this episode, including the great "lonely suffering hero" scenes of Rinka walking through the rain by herself, but yea the spoiler[Jesus penguin] was what ultimately blew my mind. Maybe I'll have to go back and watch the subtitles from the OP again more carefully, since I kept noticing the reference to spoiler["god" giving the word "reincarnation" for some reason.]

I'm not sure exactly how they can top this, or where this show is headed anymore, but I have to believe it is not going to bore me at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll have whatever CK is smoking. I found the episode dull. More Rinka and friends getting ground into the dust. More Azuma-san being useless. Oh and lots of flashback. Sure, it's good to get the 411 on that stuff but it still didn't make for gripping viewing, imo. God, that General was lame right down to his weird character design and 4 foot height. spoiler[Ark of the Covenant?] Bitch, please. So one of spoiler[Moses's tablets breaks and ghost fishies come pouring out?] You know that one got developed over a nice big bowl of shrooms.

So Professor Burnt Face is going to rain destruction on all of Tokyo and its innocent citizens because spoiler[some mysterioso person is pulling the strings somewhere?] He's going to kill tons of innocent people because of spoiler[the death of his wife who I'm sure when she healed him didn't intend for him to become a homicidal maniac.] Lame.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'll have whatever CK is smoking.

No! That's my special reserve. Only for chibikangaroos

Quote:
So one of spoiler[Moses's tablets breaks and ghost fishies come pouring out?] You know that one got developed over a nice big bowl of shrooms.

Yes!! Mind blown!!! Don't forget the damn spoiler[Jesus penguin!!!]

Yea it was pretty wild, but it was wild done well in my opinion Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10