• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray Singles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if there is already information compiling the differences between all the various releases so I found what I could (I realize that this isn't all the releases, but they're likely the most relevant ones):

ANIME LEGENDS DVD COLLECTION (BANDAI)
* MSRP of $50 (OOP)
* TV series (TV version of episode 6)
* Extras: Yoko Goes to Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Shoko Nakagawa interview

MOVIE DOUBLE FEATURE BLU-RAY (ANIPLEX)
* MSRP of $80
* Boxset
* Movie 1: Childhood's End
* Movie 2: The Lights in the Sky Are Stars

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION (ANIPLEX)
* MSRP of $670 (OOP)
* Boxset
* TV series (Unaired version of episode 6)
* OVA 5.5: My Gurren is Shiny
* Parallel Works
* (1) Music CD
* (4) Drama CDs
* Extras: Yoko Goes to Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, whole bunch of interviews and movie premiere docs, etc.
* ?-pg production booklet
* ?-pg illustration booklet

DVD COLLECTION (ANIPLEX)
* MSRP of $175
* Boxset
* (2) Soundtracks
* Extras: Yoko Goes to Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Creative Staff Interview, Shokotan Interview
* 36-pg illustration booklet
* Stickers/postcards

SINGLE BLU-RAYS (ANIPLEX) [of 5]
* MSRP of $60 per ($250 total)
* Keepcases
* (5?) 16-pg booklets: Interviews with Creators & Illustration Gallery
* (5?) 2-sided posters

ULTIMATE BLU-RAY COLLECTION (ANIME LIMITED)
* MSRP of £150 (~$250)
* Boxset/digipak (will fit artbook)
* TV series (TV & Unaired version of episode 6)
* Parallel Works
* Extras: Yoko Goes to Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Animated Storyboards
* 116 pg Artbook (18.1 x 21 cm)

BLU-RAY COLLECTION (ANIME LIMITED)
* MSRP of £60 (~$100)
* Boxset/digipack
* TV series (TV & Unaired version of episode 6)
* Extras: Yoko Goes to Gainax, Sazigen 3DCG Test Animation Footage, Animated Storyboards

Can't find much information on the UK releases as they're not out, but unless you've got a cool grand burning in your pocket the Anime Limited releases seem to be the way to go (assuming you've got a region free player). They are missing an OVA and some various on-disc extras but have the bulk of the content at a reasonable price.

Last edited by AnimeKnight2034 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Aniplex or Namco Bandai are not the responsible for all the bad things in the anime industry.

They aren't really even remotely trying to make it better either...

Neither is anyone else except maybe KyoAni, this isn't a good argument you're trying to foster.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
GekiRed wrote:
It's as if they're scared that if they leave these posts up, they'll lose any chance of future exclusive interviews, etc.

No. AoA pricing complaints are a form of soapboxing and have derailed many a thread from talking about the actual title itself or any topic other than how much it costs. It's as literal to the proverb of "beating a dead horse" as you can get.

I can't even recall the dozens (maybe hundreds by now) of reports I've seen whenever people go on AoA tirades in a thread. It's the same old song and dance.

Fortunately for you and other dissenters, I'm just one guy and can't monitor the thousands of posts in the hundreds of threads that get posted in every day. So continue to bask in your self-deluded beliefs and keep throwing your conspiracy garbage on the 'Net. I'm sure you'll achieve Anime Physical Media Nirvana in no time.

Bullshit. There's nothing "soapboxing" about taking on the absurd Aniplex prices. They're mentioned in nearly every review of their products on ANN. It's a completely relevant topic.

Every person involved with this website knows that Aniplex USA's prices are entwined with everything Aniplex does over here. It just comes with the territory. Stop thinking you can just silence it by complaining people are talking about it too much. As long as Aniplex USA is in business, it will be a relevant topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
^
First of all, it doesn't just affect reviews but every single thread even tangentially related to AoA. There can't even be a news story about a license announcement or a convention guest without people going off the deep end and spouting bile at the pricing.

And secondly, even in reviews it definitely becomes soapboxing when they same old AoA haters who would never ever ever buy a release from the company appear in thread after thread after thread after effing thread spouting the same old cliched lines, refusing to listen to those who try to patiently explain why the prices are so high.

If someone was to go into a single School Rumble thread and claim that the show is awful and that's why they'll never buy it then that's fine. But if they go into every School Rumble thread on the forum and bellyache about it then that is unquestionably soapboxing.

We all get it, we really do. People don't like AoA's prices. But if you don't like the company and don't want anything to do with them, then why are you spending so much effort to rant in every thread you can? Why bother spewing invective at every opportunity? Why not just ignore them?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And secondly, even in reviews it definitely becomes soapboxing when they same old AoA haters who would never ever ever buy a release from the company appear in thread after thread after thread after effing thread spouting the same old cliched lines, refusing to listen to those who try to patiently explain why the prices are so high.

The reason why AoA pricing will always be an evergreen topic at ANN is that it isn't simply the same old names showing up every time. ANN is constantly getting new members and some of those new members will naturally want to weigh in on the topic. Even if every ANN member was only allowed to discuss the topic once, there will always be fresh voices to take up the cause.

People who "patiently" explain why prices are so high are deluded. We all understand why prices are so high: AoA, like every other rational business on earth, wants to maximize profits. AoA, unlike some other businesses on Earth, is prepared to accept negative commentary about its efforts to maximize profits. It clearly doesn't give a crap about the opinion of a sizeable portion of the NA anime buying public, which is its right. People like to vent about things that bother them. AoA prices bother some people. They will vent about it. It's the Grand Cycle of Life.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Bullshit. There's nothing "soapboxing" about taking on the absurd Aniplex prices. They're mentioned in nearly every review of their products on ANN. It's a completely relevant topic.

Every person involved with this website knows that Aniplex USA's prices are entwined with everything Aniplex does over here. It just comes with the territory. Stop thinking you can just silence it by complaining people are talking about it too much. As long as Aniplex USA is in business, it will be a relevant topic.

This is exactly what the soapboxing rule is for. To prevent exactly what dtm42 is talking about - going in to every single thread even tangentially related to a topic and going on and on about the same exact thing over and over again, to the irritation of many, and to the inevitable derail of whatever the thread is about.

People aren't even being allowed to talk about the show being reviewed without you and the handful of people who feel the same way you do stomping in and screaming about the prices until that's all that's left of the thread. Want to talk about Kill la Kill? Well you can't do it in the discussion thread for our review of the show because the same 5 or so Aniplex price crusaders will make sure to be so loud, so belligerent and so unerring in their inability to talk about anything else related to a show Aniplex is releasing that discussing the actual show is impossible.

I'm sick of it. You may have a point about their prices but what you fail to realize is that your message means nothing if you're so over-the-top obnoxious about it that nobody wants to listen to it anymore, and you're willing to break the forum rules just to keep going on and on about it. It's what the soapboxing rule is here to prevent, and you announced your intentions to continue breaking the rule.

So I'm enforcing the rule. Penguintruth gets a 1-month timeout.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
traveling wrote:
SRP is 59.98. http://www.aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/

The whole series is going to cost $250. Laughing

Let this thread explode.

Ridiculous price. In any case didn't the industry decide single volume releases were out ? Definitely out like a decade ago ?
Man, Aniplax is surely rowing countercurrent. Laughing
They abandoned them in 2010. FUNi released Baccano! in singles for example.
release#12731
release#14003

Oh and fun fact, with anime of all a sudden being much cheaper, sales didn't increase enough to offset that, and profits plummeted.
http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg

Let's not forget how stuff seems to sell today. I see various FUNimation LE's that are 1, 2, 3, and going on 4 years old that are still pretty easy to find, with some of those never having received an RE or a re-release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, Zac, in this particular instance, the thread is about AoA's release of TTGL and is not a review about TTGL itself. As price points are part of a release, I think that, at least this time, complaining about the pricing is more on subject than if we were talking about a review of the series.

Personally, I usually make one post whenever this topic comes up, and then stop, unless someone goes bonkers on what I said. I don't see much point in going on and on about it on a particular thread, as I doubt anything anyone says is going to change anyone's views on the matter.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Well, Zac, in this particular instance, the thread is about AoA's release of TTGL and is not a review about TTGL itself. As price points are part of a release, I think that, at least this time, complaining about the pricing is more on subject than if we were talking about a review of the series.

Yep, I agree, within reason. But here I had someone tell a mod what the rules *should* mean and then announce his intention to continue breaking them. This is after years and years of repeated behavior. 1 month is nothing.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why bother spewing invective at every opportunity? Why not just ignore them?

1-Because they grab up shows we like.
2-Because they grab up shows we like that other companies magically lost the license to!

Case in point? This and Baccano. Say a new series is airing in Japan right now. It's good. IT'S REALLY F**KING GOOD! You want to have it. You want to buy it, have it look all pretty on your shelf.

The questions that you SHOULD be asking yourself are: "When's it coming out!? What's the dub cast!? The extra features!? THE GOODIES!?"

Not repeating to yourself "Please don't let AoA get this. Please don't let AoA get this." It's literally gotten to the point where if an anime was produced by Aniplex in Japan, that you can just way lower your hopes of actually getting to buy it.

When people are looking forward to a new movie or series, they shouldn't have to guess as to whether they'll even be able to afford it. That's a cockblock if there ever was one.

Now, in my defense, I don't merely go around and complain. I offer a solution! So I'm going to shamelessly plug my thread again:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2875133

Zac wrote:
So I'm enforcing the rule. Penguintruth gets a 1-month timeout.

A think that's a little bit overboard... If you really feel that strongly about enforcing the rule, you can at least know that he can't even see how strongly you feel about it if you outright ban him from viewing and posting on the forums for a whole month. It's like arresting some dude on some charges, but not letting him even see the charges because he's...under arrest already. Weird, yah?

A PM would have just sufficed? :/ I broke a rule here once, I got scolded for it and I like to think I learned my lesson. Getting outright banned without even seeing why would've just pissed me off.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The reason why AoA pricing will always be an evergreen topic at ANN is that it isn't simply the same old names showing up every time. ANN is constantly getting new members and some of those new members will naturally want to weigh in on the topic. Even if every ANN member was only allowed to discuss the topic once, there will always be fresh voices to take up the cause.

Regardless of how pointless and redundant the AoA pricing discussion gets, I agree that new members would want to touch on the topic. But I get annoyed when people start throwing phrases like "take up the cause". We are talking about buying and selling anime; it is not an actual life and death situation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Leland has a great point here: it's really sad that things are at the point where I have to stop and yell FUUUUUUUU when I realize a particular title was produced by Aniplex. It really hurts with something like Kill la Kill, something I loved the hell out of yet knew right from the get-go I'd never be able to buy. This shouldn't be something that's happening, and that's why these complaints keep coming up. Most people only have X amount of discretionary spending per month, and most of us aren't willing to put that entire X amount into one single basket, when we could get 3 or 4 or who knows how many other discretionary purchases that we equally enjoy for that same amount. It'd be irresponsible budgeting. If I can get multiple complete anime series on sale at RightStuf, plus a few games on Steam, plus maybe a book or two, all for what KlK would cost me? Guess what I'm not buying.

Last edited by Top Gun on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I think ANN should just simply stop covering Aniplex stuff to avoid the constant pricing-shenanigans drama about their titles...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:

A think that's a little bit overboard... If you really feel that strongly about enforcing the rule, you can at least know that he can't even see how strongly you feel about it if you outright ban him from viewing and posting on the forums for a whole month. It's like arresting some dude on some charges, but not letting him even see the charges because he's...under arrest already. Weird, yah?

A PM would have just sufficed? :/ I broke a rule here once, I got scolded for it and I like to think I learned my lesson. Getting outright banned without even seeing why would've just pissed me off.

Penguintruth was banned for a pattern of behavior in addition to what he did in this forum. There's a very, very long history there.

I didn't ask you for your consultation on how to handle that as forum administrator. Continue talking about Aniplex and this release all you want, this isn't up for debate nor do I need your advice. This line of discussion is closed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Regardless of how pointless and redundant the AoA pricing discussion gets, I agree that new members would want to touch on the topic. But I get annoyed when people start throwing phrases like "take up the cause". We are talking about buying and selling anime; it is not an actual life and death situation.

I guess you aren't much for figurative speech, eh? Hell, even the most staunch AoA defender would probably agree that the venting against AoA pricing approaches the metaphorical dimensions of a crusade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9