• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mitsuru Adachi Can't Tell His Own Characters Apart

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabochaone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It would be fine if the writer could mention why they look the same instead of the sensationalism to mock ADACHI-SENSEI.

Short answer: Osamu Tezuka's Star System.

How can he tell them apart when its well known that he uses Tezuka´s Star System, that reuses the same characters? THEY ARE THE SAME, so of course even ADACHI-SENSEI can get them wrong, there is nothing embarrassing about it.

Chris Nishijima, do your homework and mention why they "look similar":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Tezuka%27s_Star_System
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's bad enough today when I can't even tell female characters apart anymore. Especially when those female characters are actually male.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It would be fine if the writer could mention why they look the same instead of the sensationalism to mock ADACHI-SENSEI.

How can he tell them apart when its well known that he uses Tezuka´s Star System, that reuses the same characters? THEY ARE THE SAME, so of course even ADACHI-SENSEI can get them wrong, there is nothing embarrassing about it.

Chris Nishijima, here so you know why Adachi-sensei´s character look the same:

Other prominent figure that uses the Star System is Masami Kurumada

For a more modern example for the younger generations, be it writers or fans, CLAMP is also know for the use of the STAR SYSTEM.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
It's bad enough today when I can't even tell female characters apart anymore. Especially when those female characters are actually male.

Indded, but don't go grouping together or linking them to Adachi-senseis highly stylized iconic characters to today´s cookie cutter chara designs. There is a universe and two of difference.

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago I was looking around a Manga shop and I spotted Inyuyashi, I though the main character was Ranma though since the only difference was the hair. So he isn't the only one who reuses designs.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
A few years ago I was looking around a Manga shop and I spotted Inyuyashi, I though the main character was Ranma though since the only difference was the hair. So he isn't the only one who reuses designs.

As explained, this is know as TEZUKA´S STAR SYSTEM, in the golden age of anime this system was used by a number of prominent figures, some of which are still active today.

Its well used for artists that have achieved basically perfection, they have created the perfect characters, so they reuse them for other series, adopting revered Tezuka Star System.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
That headline is Onion-levels of snark. Well done, ANN.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

a lot of people can easily tell different characters apart, maybe you need consider that its not the industry that is at fault?
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

a lot of people can easily tell different characters apart, maybe you need consider that its not the industry that is at fault?

Nope, its not a matter for the hardcore obsessed otaku to being able to tell them apart, he is right that they LOOK the same form a neutral perspective.

In a away today's industry en masse use a degenerate Osamu tezuka star system to mass produce the same characters over and over againand totally generic no less devoid of personality.

Totally different to Adachi-sensei characters, Minami Asakura is the most widely recognized and loved heroine in japan (compromising all the random, not just hardcore otaku) same as Tacchan as male protagonist in the top.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. The startling epiphany for Adachi which everyone already came to terms with far earlier lol. I still need to get around to H2 and Cross Game myself, I hope they deliver.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The simpler and more universally recognizable the art, the easier it is for some to relate to it. That's why I find Grave of the Fireflies more effective as a cartoon than as some (hypothetical) live-action version. My point is that perhaps Adachi is simply trying to convey some universal concept of "boy."

Here are some excerpts from Roger Ebert's review of GotF, which I think illustrate this point well:

Hollywood animation has been pursuing the ideal of “realistic animation” for decades, even though that’s an oxymoron. People who are drawn do not look like people who are photographed. They’re more stylized, more obviously symbolic...

This film proves, if it needs proving, that animation produces emotional effects not by reproducing reality, but by heightening and simplifying it, so that many of the sequences are about ideas, not experiences.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The same face syndrome is now afflicting the mangaka themselves, a very bad sign for the industry and not a very good first impression for new and especially old readers, if the mangaka cannot distinguish their own creations from the others they've created then how can the average fan tell.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:

Chris Nishijima, here so you know why Adachi-sensei´s character look the same:

Other prominent figure that uses the Star System is Masami Kurumada

For a more modern example for the younger generations, be it writers or fans, CLAMP is also know for the use of the STAR SYSTEM.

I'm sorry, but the Star System isn't an excuse for Adachi being unable to identify his own characters specifically. If anything, it shows that he uses the Star System poorly.

Tezuka used the Star System as a way to simply re-use characters he had already created & will create in the future in different ways. Tezuka purposefully gave them specific names & supposedly even kept track of how much they "earned", as if they were actual actors. Osamu Tezuka could tell his characters apart.

Masami Kurumada use of the Star System is a variant of Tezuka's method, in that most of his character designs originate from his first hit, Ring ni Kakero. That said, Kurumada still gives each of his leads some sort of way to differentiate between them. While a newcomer to Kurumada might understandably confuse Ryuji Takane with Pegasus Seiya or Teppei Takamiya, fans of his works can still identify them & Kurumada doesn't seem to have any problems telling his characters apart. Also, Kurumada tends to have his repeated personas "break character" with each work, making them somewhat differently from their predecessor (there are exceptions, of course). Now, to be fair, no-name characters & random villains might look exactly the same, but they aren't important enough to make it an issue.

CLAMP's use of the Star System is not as well known to me, so I can't really say how they use it, but I do think that they work off of a mix of Tezuka & Kurumada, using both repeated "actors" as well as repeated (but slightly altered) designs.

Now, no one should take this as me hating on Mitsuru Adachi. I really enjoyed the first omnibus of Cross Game & have since bought the rest and plan to read it all one day. Still, Adachi's use of the Star System is lazy beyond reasonable logic. He doesn't use "actors" like Tezuka & he considering that he forté is sports drama I'm going to guess that his repeated-designed characters don't differentiate between each of them all that much.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:

Nope, its not a matter for the hardcore obsessed otaku to being able to tell them apart, he is right that they LOOK the same form a neutral perspective.

In a away today's industry en masse use a degenerate Osamu tezuka star system to mass produce the same characters over and over againand totally generic no less devoid of personality.

Totally different to Adachi-sensei characters, Minami Asakura is the most widely recognized and loved heroine in japan (compromising all the random, not just hardcore otaku) same as Tacchan as male protagonist in the top.

Well after so many years the changes are going to be less and less big.

http://funnymama.com/store/121224/125393_v0_600x.jpg

Still though, it doesn't take a hardcore Anime fan to tell the difference between say jormungand and Katanagatari or Kill La Kill and Space Dandy.
willydingo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
rather have them look identical than have weird random hair colors/styles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3