• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Swimsuit Idols That You Can Date and Marry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This is really no different than the Bachelor and Bachelorette reality TV series, or from the many other 'Reality' TV shows out there.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Japanese idol culture both scares and confuses me.

In the UK, everyone looks at people who don't order a beer or wine with their meals like they're retarded and are ready to jump them. That is more scary than all the sexualization Japan produces. Especially up north.

It kinda bugs me that everyone seems to take the piss at Japan when they sell sex in 'unorthodox' manners when it's easy to list even worse aspects of other cultures. Besides, I don't hear Japanese pop stars saying 'tonight I can suck your d*** and not feel like a slut* like a certain American artist (that's a joke to call them such) tends to do and no one seems to say a damn thing about that, like it's okay for the English speaking world to be so casual about sex but God-forbid everyone else is.

Holy over-reaction Batman.

I never said that the way the west views celebrities is a pinnacle of perfect societal standards that every country should strive for - I know it's messed up too.
But idol culture definitely is weird. Sure, western artists have publicity stunts too, but I don't think I've seen another culture that will severely punish a performer for entering into a natural relationship, while also promising dates with fans who purchase [X] amount of an album or do things like this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Knowing how these companies work, I wouldn't be surprised if you were also required to sign off on a celebrity sex tape for the honeymoon. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Of course, the biggest taboo of all is for a pop idol and a fan to begin dating. But one brave group has decided to step forth from the binds of their image. Meet the members of the idol group Happening Girls. These four lovely ladies depicted here are unique in the idol community because they are allowed to foster relationships, date, and even marry their fans.

How unique, ya say?

"Pop idols’ management demands Y8 million in damages after two members caught dating fans"

• We’ve seen this rule lead to instances of head-shaving and weird YouTubers before in Japan. However, one idol management company is taking this rule to a new level and demanding compensation for damages as a result of performers fraternizing with fans–to the order of 8 million yen.

In April, two members of the unit Aoyama☆St. Hacha Mecha High School (St. Crazy Wild High School), or Mecha High (Crazy High) for short, left the group unexpectedly. Afterwards at an event the group’s producer explained the reason for their disappearance was a “serious breach of contract.”

He added that Miho Yuki (19) and Sena Miura (22) had gone on dates with fans. Later on, the management company told media that a contract was signed by their legal guardians stating that they would “not become romantically involved with fans.”

As a result of this alleged breach of contract the company has sent letters to all parties involved: the two former members, their legal guardians, and the fans. These notices are demanding compensation to the tune of 8,232,400 yen from the fans according to reports.

Murder, She wrote:

Kandou TV also reserves the right to produce, record, and televise any part of the relationship from the first meeting, all the way up to the wedding itself, which will of course be organized by Kandou's subsidary bridal company.

It's Japan's TV series of The Bachelorette! Laughing

the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
I'm not sure if I think this is better or worse than the usual otaku purity fetish thing...

Okay, fine. You're not putting them on some creepy virginal pedestal anymore, but instead you're pimping them out to fans as a promotional gimmick. Is there no middle ground to be had here?

Just because they're announcing their new liberties, doesn't mean they're 'pimping them out'.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This is the best thing to come out of the industry, I prefer that idols be able to date and marry instead of purity contracts, there's nothing special about purity but there is something special about being married or dating an idol.

But do they have a choice in the matter when it becomes their jobs to date and marry their fans? I'm not going to judge the members themselves as individuals--if they choose to be a part of this and they actually enjoy it, then all the power to them. But if this just becomes the complete opposite of the typical idol contract issue, then this solution will have literally solved nothing.

I'm all for having cute girls wear revealing swimwear all year and dating and marrying their fans. But gosh darnit, they better not be forced into doing it just so they can be an idol. Then I draw the line. As much as the current idol industry is criticized for its contracts, at the very least, I am aware that the members are given almost complete freedom outside their job contract to do whatever they like, and they do and some have come out to be proud and happy with it despite the hardships of their job and contract. If the new group ends up having less freedom than that to themselves, then I'm going to have an issue with the way they're going about with this marketing tactic.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Huh. Eri is a lot prettier than the other three, so much so that it's actually distracting.

That was probably the first thing that came to my mind. No offense to these women, but they are not exactly up to the usual top idol beauty standards, so I have to wonder if that was part of the reasoning behind this stunt as a marketing gimmick. As if it was the only way to get into the industry or if they were the only ones who would be willing to do something like this.

-Stuart Smith
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Just because they're announcing their new liberties, doesn't mean they're 'pimping them out'.

Uh, except that it's not so much "these idols are free to date whoever they want, even their fans" as it is "if you come to our live shows, we'll give you a free marriage interview and also record a commemorative video that you can buy afterwards".

Sorry, I don't see women "announcing their new liberties"(as if they should have to), I see a theme park attraction.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Huh. Eri is a lot prettier than the other three, so much so that it's actually distracting.

That was probably the first thing that came to my mind.

Just compare their teeth. Manaka's not bad herself, but the girls in the middle are a turn-off.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The only way I'm getting married is if the woman I marry doesn't mind helping me get a harem and she understands I will never knock her up. No kids!
moonshine101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I dont even think they're good looking. I am happy for them to be eligible to date, get married bla bla bla.

It has never made sense to me why they cannot get married as they are an individual too, not just a wank toy. I think it is a step in the right direction because it is a free world.

That being said, I just do not find them sexually attractive in my opinion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Japanese idol culture both scares and confuses me.

In the UK, everyone looks at people who don't order a beer or wine with their meals like they're retarded and are ready to jump them. That is more scary than all the sexualization Japan produces. Especially up north.

What part of the UK is this? I've never seen it happen where I live.
Me neither, but I live south of the M4. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi wrote:

Now just let fans come and marry anime characters, please and thank you. :3
Introducing LovePlus+! The game that lets you date and marry your very own anime character! Now in 3D! Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
I'm not sure if I think this is better or worse than the usual otaku purity fetish thing...

Okay, fine. You're not putting them on some creepy virginal pedestal anymore, but instead you're pimping them out to fans as a promotional gimmick. Is there no middle ground to be had here?

I'm not sure if there is a middle ground. But I will say that this reminds me of junior idols. I'll also say it's a bit creepy from time to time.

enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

Of course, the biggest taboo of all is for a pop idol and a fan to begin dating. But one brave group has decided to step forth from the binds of their image. Meet the members of the idol group Happening Girls. These four lovely ladies depicted here are unique in the idol community because they are allowed to foster relationships, date, and even marry their fans.

How unique, ya say?

"Pop idols’ management demands Y8 million in damages after two members caught dating fans"

• We’ve seen this rule lead to instances of head-shaving and weird YouTubers before in Japan. However, one idol management company is taking this rule to a new level and demanding compensation for damages as a result of performers fraternizing with fans–to the order of 8 million yen.

In April, two members of the unit Aoyama☆St. Hacha Mecha High School (St. Crazy Wild High School), or Mecha High (Crazy High) for short, left the group unexpectedly. Afterwards at an event the group’s producer explained the reason for their disappearance was a “serious breach of contract.”

He added that Miho Yuki (19) and Sena Miura (22) had gone on dates with fans. Later on, the management company told media that a contract was signed by their legal guardians stating that they would “not become romantically involved with fans.”

As a result of this alleged breach of contract the company has sent letters to all parties involved: the two former members, their legal guardians, and the fans. These notices are demanding compensation to the tune of 8,232,400 yen from the fans according to reports.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about this on Japan Today a few days ago. Thanks for putting it up Enurtsol. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Uh, except that it's not so much "these idols are free to date whoever they want, even their fans" as it is "if you come to our live shows, we'll give you a free marriage interview and also record a commemorative video that you can buy afterwards".

Sorry, I don't see women "announcing their new liberties"(as if they should have to), I see a theme park attraction.

Wait, it HAS to be ONLY fans? The word 'liberty' was too strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4