• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Swimsuit Idols That You Can Date and Marry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This is really no different than the Bachelor and Bachelorette reality TV series, or from the many other 'Reality' TV shows out there.

Or the goddamn I Wanna Marry Harry garbage I keep seeing ads for.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
People just love to overanalyze the morals of the idol industry. I think this whole talk of idols not being allowed to date is overly exaggerated. I can understand it from the 'they cannot be seen dating' angle for the sake of business. But who knows what the clauses in their contracts specifically state? The whole thing just sounds way too made up, and unless someone actually confirms this rule, I am not quick to believe forum speculations and hypotheses.

Does it simply say they cannot date? Does it mention anything about having or not having boyfriends? That never seems to be questioned, all they talk about is the social interaction called 'dating', if doesn't state that they can't have boyfriends, then no one can stop them.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Does it simply say they cannot date? Does it mention anything about having or not having boyfriends? That never seems to be questioned, all they talk about is the social interaction called 'dating', if doesn't state that they can't have boyfriends, then no one can stop them.

It depends on the company, but in AKB48's case, they aren't allowed to date at all and it's one of the golden rules of the group. There are no actual consequences stated as a result of breaking the rule, but that's likely because it's one of the few rules that are written with a "don't do it or else [we'll make up a consequence]" attached to its existence. Usually the girl gets sent to a different group. Some managers in some groups, however, have used the Yakuza as inspiration and pressured the girls to punish themselves in some ways. It's kinda cruel. Still, it's been said that those who don't break the rules in the group are usually happy being an idol because they're treated really well and the draw to being a role model for others isn't eclipsed by the job's hardships. "It was free and fun" is the usual response from ex-idols who have graduated from their groups. But these can only really be judged by those who are a part of it, so I won't claim to know anything particularly about that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
@Ryu Shoji
It is not the idol that is important, but rather the image of the idol that is. If the idol fails to uphold the image, well, they are going to get fired. While it is taken to the extreme, it is no different than the good behavior clauses that some professional sports players have to adhere to, along with the image clauses that Miss America and other similiar type shows require.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Truth be told, I've heard the horror stories of Idol Culture in Japan, but most of it being on the Internet, it can be difficult to tell at times how much is truth from inside Japan, and how much of it is told from an "Outside looking in" perspective. I don't doubt that these things happen, I just wonder from time to time how much is real and how much is blown out of proportion.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This sounds oddly exploitative... Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:

It's the idol business; what else did you expect?

Stuart Smith wrote:
That was probably the first thing that came to my mind.

Glad I wasn't the only one.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
rockman nes wrote:

It's the idol business; what else did you expect?

I wonder if there's any cases of J-idols rebelling against their agency/management like court cases for exploitation and violation of their basic human rights? I know that does happen in K-pop (again, sorry if I bring up K-pop but I'm more curious if these exist in J-pop also):

Kris of EXO lawsuit against SM Entertainment

Joon-Young of ZE:A threaten the CEO of Star Empire Entertainment for exploitation/mistreatment of their artists (although just today I read it they resolved with the CEO crying and shedding tears and has announced major changes to contracts and structure)

Does anybody know if this exist in J-pop too?? Has there been any high-profile court cases like this in J-pop where the idol sue their agency/management for mistreatment/human right violations and ended up with contract terminated?? I like to know this so I can add it on my observation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Must say, this whole deal kind of sounds like it could be set up for reality TV.
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
*groan*

...well, that was a creepy solution to this problem. This is just as bad as not allowing idols to date.

They're people, they deserve a normal life off-hours from their work. Of course it goes without saying they also deserve work that's not too degrading.

What's that? All year round bikinis?

Rolling Eyes
*sigh*

Oh and that "they must protect their image"-thing? Their image was faked from the beginning and I'm sure it would be more interesting if they just were themselves on stage.

But what do I know....?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call it a step-forward for the idol industry, honestly. I mean, if they're in for it that's great, but with the horrible idol fetishization in Japan, I can't help but feel unconfortable with the notion of throwing four girls in swimsuits into crowds of creepy otaku that may try to stab them or smear them with semen (this has happened!), and promise those same creepy otaku to make one of them their wife (and a Reality TV!). I find Reality TV in general sort of gross (especially the likes of "let's put a lot of cameras in this person's house and see shit unfold"), and this just makes me feel icky. Just hope some crazy fan doesn't end up hurting any of those girls
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, I totally missed the part about having rights to televise stuff...should've read through the article better. Laughing
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Huh. Eri is a lot prettier than the other three, so much so that it's actually distracting.

I kind of like Manaka a little more, though Eri was a close second.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
The Idols are being paid to have that image and to maintain it. That is the job they signed up for. They didn't have to go this route, they chose this route.

And if it is somehow illegal, then it is also illegal for Hollywood, the TV industry, the sports industry, and for commercial sponsors to have such clauses also.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Maintaining false images isn't exactly new - pro-wrestlers used to do it, for example. Call it whatever you want, but it's part of the job description.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4