• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: K-On Autographed Guitar Gets Lackluster Bids on Yahoo! Auctions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Guess the popularity fad faded. Maybe it will sell more once it get's older.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
God I wish I had money Sad
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
this made me laugh hysterically on the inside, the guy dropped 3 million yen on this thing and is trying to sell it back expecting a profit? no offense to the fans well a little all be it unintentional but the days of loli obsessed anime fanboys is done and over with for now expecting to sell that thing for anywhere near the original purchase price now is a waste of time
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
...the days of loli obsessed anime fanboys is done and over with for now...

Oh, if only you knew, buddy.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the days of loli obsessed anime fanboys is done

Because all High School girls are automatically lolis... no, what we have is the "flavor of the year" show that peaked in its merch popularity and finally its fame stabilized so people would only pay a "reasonable price" for a piece of memorabilia.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If that's a real Gibson Led Paul like Yui's then $900ish is a steal, especially for an autographed one. Man id love to have it, although it's a lot of cash.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
If that's a real Gibson Led Paul like Yui's then $900ish is a steal, especially for an autographed one. Man id love to have it, although it's a lot of cash.

No kidding. really any legit Gibson Les Paul is worth a bunch, and for good reason.

It's not surprising that this didn't sell for much. K-On! isn't exactly the hottest property at the moment; it just isn't that relevant at the moment. There's a good reason the motto is "buy low, sell high," not "buy it when it is most popular and sell it a few years after it came out while you pray every night that somehow it will be worth more each day." I mean really, which do you think would be worth more right now: A signed poster from the cast of Game of Thrones, or a signed poster from the cast of Lost?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
For a collector, the low bidding could be his/her chance to buy this K-ON Gibson guitar for cheap...
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
this made me laugh hysterically on the inside, the guy dropped 3 million yen on this thing and is trying to sell it back expecting a profit? no offense to the fans well a little all be it unintentional but the days of loli obsessed anime fanboys is done and over with for now expecting to sell that thing for anywhere near the original purchase price now is a waste of time

Yeah now we're in the era of virtual idol obsessed fanboys. Laughing Change the brand from K-On to u's, Star Anis or 765 Pro and watch the money still flow in all the same.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of Gibsons they are pretty overpriced, but $900 for a signed LP is pretty awesome deal.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't know about Gibson fans, but I don't see the value in K-On autographs on a guitar. It would be interesting if the guitar had character images on it along with the autographs.

If the Gibson guitar was actually K-On themed, then that would be something.
Renshenzu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I like K-on! and I like guitars, but I wouldn't pay that much even if I 36K to waste. $900 is a good deal for a les paul, but playing it might ruin the autographs, so your essentially paying for a piece of memorabilia to sit on display, not a guitar you'll actually play.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
I mean, it's unfortunate, but the same thing happened to Haruhi. Nowadays, good luck finding figures from the series like you used to be able to at cons, let alone ones actually worth buying. The way the anime industry works today is one rabid obsession over a show with cute girls to another in a short period of time. Only great shows have the staying power which commands the market for years to come.

Which is... disappointing, to say the least, because I would defend Haruhi as truly great anime, and probably the peak of KyoAni's body of work. I feel like it should have had more of an impact on the industry as a whole. Shows like K-On, with little to no substance whatsoever, are inevitably going to slip under the cracks when about 1,000,000 similar series come in the fill the void.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
the guy dropped 3 million yen on this thing and is trying to sell it back expecting a profit?

The current auction holder isn't necessarily the same person who bought the guitar a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
A Gibson Les Paul costs about $2000+ last time I checked my local music store (The original price Yui would have paid for it was around $2500). So paying $900 from the same thing autographed by the cast of K-ON is far from 'reasonable'. It's an absolute steal.

I'd kill to get a Les Paul. Who knows what I'd do to get this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2