• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide - Lord Marksman and Vanadis

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...it's as if the entire first novel was packed into this first episode.

LN readers say it was. Ep 1 was LN 1, but with some content trimmed down.

In terms of design, I wonder why most LN illustrators always love the underclothed armour look for the ladies.
The exception I recall was the illustrations for the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (the Demon King and Hero) LNs, where the designs were mostly non-revealing and historically classy. Not even the Demon King's large chest dimished the classiness of her dresses, and the Victorian maid getup of the sister maids managed to blend in quite well with the setting.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I, at least, tend to trace the trend of underclothing the action heroine back to Red Sonja, who first showed up in the 1930s. There's a line in the 1981 novel The Ring of Ikribu by David C. Smith and Richard L. Tierny about how silly the battle bikini look is, but how somehow or other Sonja wears it anyway and doesn't die. I wish I could find the book and quote you the line - it's very tongue-in-cheek and funny. I don't know how much exposure the Japanese had to Sonja, but it would be interesting to see if she IS at the root of the trend.

And good to know I was right about the LN being crammed into the episode!

I didn't remember to say it in the preview, but this very strongly reminded me of all the Mercedes Lackey I read in middle school. Laughing
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
LN readers say it was. Ep 1 was LN 1, but with some content trimmed down.

In terms of design, I wonder why most LN illustrators always love the underclothed armour look for the ladies.

It is most of the first LN. My guess is that the first ep and the second will setup the big story arc that ends in the fith LN, since that is the part they still got to cover from the first LN.

I think most illustrators do their work based on the information that they have been given about the characters. In this case the Vanadis don’t need your conventional armour, their draconic tool keeps them safe. Limalisha got proper armour, as you can see in the opening “duel” between Tigre and Ellen. The blue knight next to Ellen is her.

And a tiny "correction" for Therons review.
Limalisha is not a Vanadis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1