• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bokurano Helmer Changes Story Due to Dislike of Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Good grief!! Talk about issues! Again one of the reason why it's so hard adapting a manga into an anime. Or anything into any type of media.

I guess that means they'll have to find someone else or finish it up...
Hoo boy!

Funny that I read this news after watching both the show and reading the manga. Seems 'Mohiroh' has enough fans that don't want the show altered as much. And again after reading numerous chapters the content deals with very mature themes. I'm sure enough people following his work know. I wonder what they are going to do now.

Considering this director's tastes he might not have been right for handling this adaption.

I guess this will be the second time that he's had issues with his work being adapted.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In closing, I have to post what I don't want to post: the director of the animated version of Bokurano dislikes the original manga. From here on out, you can't expect the animated version to expand on what you might find appealing in the original. So, fans of the original, please do not watch the animated version from now on.

Cripe! I mean it is one thing to let everyone know you are deviating from the original. But to just tell fans who are familiar not to watch before it is aired. Geez, seems kind of extreme. Was something lost in translation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
As the article notes, Bakurano is currently airing, so almost all of the blog comments and Morita's responses came after people saw the anime broadcast. It's not the first time that's happened in Japan and the world: Edward James Olmos famously told fans of the original 1979 Battlestar Galactica that "I would not advise that you watch this program" before the new version aired, but the new one is doing quite well for itself.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, this sounds almost like Hollywood nonsense. How does someone who doesn't actually like something wind up in charge of making an adaptation of it?

At least it wasn't like with, say, Batman or Aliens Vs. Predator, where there were good scripts that someone felt the need to chuck in the garbage. And at least they're being up front about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like I made the right decision in sticking with just the original.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So the manga and anime are probably going to end up diverging completely, I suppose. At least he's being up-front about it.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank God I never started this one... it's crap like this that causes directors to lose integrity and also why straight adaptations are impossible to find.

Just chalk it up to another GONZO failure and move on.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the real lesson to be learned here is that "production blogs" for shows and movies might be one of the most dangerous and dumbassed things to emerge from the Web 2.0 era of entertainment.

Creative personalities have a right to express their artistic vision without interference from gormless fantards. Good God, man, just make the anime and stop worrying about having to answer to the jackasses in the comments section.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet, but I after a couple episodes I had already decided that I would be better off just reading the original manga at some point. I figured Gonzo would change things (and they would have to, really, since the manga is ongoing) and I figured they would find a way to screw it up royally. And this confirms it.

I really hope the manga gets licensed soon, because I prefer to read the actual books over scanlations. I'd also like to see Narutaru released and finished unflipped and uncut, but I don't expect that to ever happen. Sad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Great...........another great manga that get's the middle finger in it's adaptation. If he does not like why the ^%&$ is he doing it? Guess I won't be watching it, good thing I didn't start it. Another great job by GONZO.....really now......can they at least leave Kaze No Stigma alone.....I like it, and I hope they don't screw that one up as well.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
You know its not necessarily a bad thing that the story deviates from the manga. There have been a lot of anime that weren't the same as the manga and ended up being very good stories. Although given Gonzo track record on that sort of thing I guess we all have the right to worry a little bit. Here's hoping we don't get another Gantz or Hellsing.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
As the article notes, Bakurano is currently airing, so almost all of the blog comments and Morita's responses came after people saw the anime broadcast.
I realized that it is an ongoing show, but I didn't realize that the episodes in question had most likely already been aired.

So this is more like a response to angry fans, than a preemptive warning. It makes more sense now what he said.

I wonder how closely Morita's working with Kitoh? It sounds that atleast he is asking for his blessings, and Kitoh is setting some guidelines. Maybe it is not the complete bastardization that everyone's conclusions seem to be jumping too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I like the anime. People are still dying so what's the problem?

spoiler[So, you didn't get to see the gang rape of a 12 yo female or the stabbing or the R-rated scene involving a 12 yo female (not a manga reader thank goodness). It still was an enjoyable title. Those little deviations didn't take away from the plot at all so far imo.

The characters are sympathetic, They were given the bad end of the deal and their deaths tragic.

The manga is still on-going. If you were not expecting an independent ending, then you were fooling yourself imo.

You may want to skip ep. 10, There is a future manga spoiler in that episode apparently. ]
domino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
While I was originally totally open to change (since differences between manga and anime keep the anime fresh), it would really be terrible if he decided to let the children in Bokurano live. The fact that you know every single character in Bokurano is going to die right from the start is the only thing that makes Bokurano interesting and shining out among the other buckets and buckets of "children chosen to pilot a robot" garbage.

I really hope that if he DOES decide to change things, he should at least leave the main part alone. The whole "the one who pilots the robot will die" rule is really the only reason I've been watching.

It's unique and touching the way it was -- to think that they're just going to use the cheap "they come back to life in the end" card cheapens the entire experience (this rule applies to all anime..) . -_-
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn, people. Criticizing GONZO too harshly...

What of $unrise (who hire hygiene-challenged otaku-tachi and ruin franchises for the sake of the lowest common denominator)?

What of Gainax (who hates otaku-tachi yet would go bottom-up without them; so they feature hot chicks in skimpy outfits)?

What of the whole society of Japan in general (where pay is low, jobs are scarse, suicide is high, exploitation and victimization is common; and that's just based around the anime industry)?

What the guy behind Bokurano did was a 'business decision." He followed through by calling the original creator. Those eternal children over there won't except that decision like grown folks?

One more reason why I don't call myself a "fan."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4