• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya's Kurumada to Draw Raimei no Zaji Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Before any hardcore Saint Seiya fans start complaining about why Kurumada is going back to yet another unfinished work instead of doing more Next Dimension, going off of the "Special Chapter" nature of title I'm going to guess that this is likely a one-time kind of deal meant to celebrate the new digital magazine. Admittedly though, from what I could understand via raws, Raimei no Zaji was probably the most generic of Kurumada's works, with little making it feel special. I guess Zaji being able to punch his fist through people's chests is something cool, right? Maybe it's due to the lack of any English translation, but those original three Raimei no Zaji chapters just seemed a good bit underwhelming to me.

Apparently, though, this title was one of the major influences for Inti-Creates' new game Azure Striker Gunvolt, so I guess it resonated with some people. Personally, I would have preferred the return of Evil Crusher Maya, which actually had a lot of future potential, but I guess that one at least has an "ending" of some sort. Also working in Raimei no Zaji's favor, though, is the fact that Zaji has appeared in Kurumada Suikoden, the Yun Kouga-drawn crossover manga, already; Kurumada's probably doing this special chapter because of that.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Kurumada, as a part of his career's 40th anniversary celebrations, will briefly revive every single unfinished series he's ever done. It would be interesting to see a post-"NEVER END" chapter of Silent Knight Sho.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I wonder if Kurumada, as a part of his career's 40th anniversary celebrations, will briefly revive every single unfinished series he's ever done. It would be interesting to see a post-"NEVER END" chapter of Silent Knight Sho.

I doubt we'll ever see Sho come back. Aside from the whole "NEVER END" final page, the name's been brought back in some way with Saint Seiya - Saintia Sho, which has the Female Saint main character using the exact same name & kanji as the Silent Knight. Otoko Zaka has the infamous "Incomplete" non-ending, while Raimei no Zaji's last chapter simply said "To Be Continued", so those at least make sense to bring back, as Kurumada never actually "finished" them.

As an aside, though, it is cool to see ANN report on these returning Kurumada manga, but it's odd how both Otoko Zaka & Raimei no Zaji don't have Encyclopedia pages. Hell, Otoko Zaka got reported on three times in the past year, yet still doesn't have a page for more info. Just something I noticed on the side.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes a revival like this means a publisher is planning on doing a deluxe reprinting and a "special chapter" or in the case of an unfinished manga, an ending, is an extra selling point.

For example, when Hades Project Zeorymer was reprinted, they actually had Yoshiki Takaya finish it under his old hentai pen name.

Or just this year, Fist of the North Star had yet another new edition printed, which included a new chapter that took place in the time skip.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Sometimes a revival like this means a publisher is planning on doing a deluxe reprinting and a "special chapter" or in the case of an unfinished manga, an ending, is an extra selling point.

I guess, but Raimei no Zaji is published by Shueisha, as recently as the digital release last year of the Never End Heroes book that featured both Zaji & Aoi Tori no Shinwa (Kurumada's baseball short), while this special chapter is in an Akita Shoten publication. Regardless, I guess it could finish up the story, but it's not like much story really happened in the three chapters that Kurumada made in the 80s in the first place.

Quote:
Or just this year, Fist of the North Star had yet another new edition printed, which included a new chapter that took place in the time skip.

I didn't know this. By "time skip" do you mean the post-Raoh stuff (i.e. "Fist of the North Star 2" as the anime called it) or is it post-manga, ala New Fist of the North Star?
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also working in Raimei no Zaji's favor, though, is the fact that Zaji has appeared in Kurumada Suikoden, the Yun Kouga-drawn crossover manga, already; Kurumada's probably doing this special chapter because of that.

I'd argue it's probably the other way around : Zaji appeared in the latest Hero of Heroes chapter because they already knew Kurumada was working on a special Chapter of Raimei no Zaji - Otoko Zaka's Jingi even appeared at the same time, and this had been in the works even longer (Kurumada first teased about it in early 2013).

The Champion Cross website has been in the plans for nearly a year now (we now this, because Megumu Okada revealed Episode G.Assassin was planned from to go to continue in full color on an Akita website after the first volume from the very beginning of the projects - and he began teasing G.A nearly a year ago), so Zaji has probably been in the cards for a while.

I could see Zaji just being a few chapters in order to complete the story and make it a propoer "one shot". With perhaps a complete reprint as a single volume ?

Quote:
I guess, but Raimei no Zaji is published by Shueisha, as recently as the digital release last year of the Never End Heroes book that featured both Zaji & Aoi Tori no Shinwa (Kurumada's baseball short), while this special chapter is in an Akita Shoten publication.

Right, but Kurumada bought the rights for all his properties back in the late '90s/early 2000. This is why he was able to bring Saint Seiya and Fuma No Kojiro spin-off in Akita since 2002 even though they were Shueisha publications in the first place (and you can bet Shueisha would have liked to have Next Dimension, but I'm pretty sure Kurumada went for Akita because they let him do it in full color). Many people expected Otoko Zaka to be in Akita as well when it was first annouced actually ! So you never know, maybe a volume containing both the original Zaji chapters and the news ones isn't completly out of the question.

But basically yeah I don't think Zaji will last, unlike Otoko Zaka which is an important project in Kurumada's heart that he probably wants to finish while he is still able to draw (he has a serious hand conditon which essentially means he has at best 10 years left before he's forced to end his career as a mangaka).

-Sergorn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1