• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Luffy, Naruto, Conan, Kirito, Eren Join Forces to Fight Piracy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
TEEHEE I knew Lupin III wouldn't be there. Twisted Evil
Ibegounotkou Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
haha this is actually kind of funny because luffy IS a pirate Smile
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
lol I wonder where in the fudge did they come up with the concept that piracy damaged their properties. Oh I love these creators, but don't come up with bullshit numbers from 'statistics' and look at reality. I love these creators and I love the fansub community. I look forward to seeing more releases from fansubs.

Edit -- Old purchases and these pictures are like from July of this year. I've gotten a lot more stuff and the room did change so I can stack even more BDs and figures and books which I believe are worth my money.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
yeah, have fun with that...I'll just continue my DDL ways.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
One of my biggest dreams was to see Naruto and Luffy teaming up in a potential Naruto x One Piece crossover. Apparently that dream has come true somewhat.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I just love seeing Kirito and Eren together. Same English voice, hah.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they put these characters in an actual fun and campy crossover instead of this schlock?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that piracy is an issue, I also agree that these figures could be exaggerated (or that could be the actual amount).

I do find it ironic that Luffy the pirate is being used to fight piracy.

A thing that has to be addressed from the anime/manga companies is the issues of region locks and censored simulcasts. While I understand the latter is to drive DVD sales, the former is a big issue. I do understand if they lack the legal power to stream a show to a certain region (licensing could account for this).
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
There will be piracy no matter what.

The only way industry can really fight it is by offering their products through as many avenues as possible at prices that most consumers think are reasonable. It may take a while to get there, but websites like Crunchyroll and VIZ Media are getting the market ever closer.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
lol I wonder where in the fudge did they come up with the concept that piracy damaged their properties. Oh I love these creators, but don't come up with bullshit numbers from 'statistics' and look at reality. I love these creators and I love the fansub community. I look forward to seeing more releases from fansubs.

Those numbers and all of the numbers the industry comes up with, whenever so-called "losses" are discussed are bullshit for one simple reason: it ASSUMES people will buy at full retail if not MSRP price, exactly everything they download.

(That is if they are even accurately tracking downloads. Who knows how they fudge numbers)

There's almost 200 shows a year, counting sequels, and I am absolutely, positively sure than no one in China is going to buy, much less import, even 50 shows a year.

Quote:
Edit -- Old purchases and these pictures are like from July of this year. I've gotten a lot more stuff and the room did change so I can stack even more BDs and figures and books which I believe are worth my money.

Also brings up another point they don't consider: merchandise. People who watch a show, even if they don't buy the videos, could still buy merchandise or the manga. This is the norm in Japan since home video is so expensive.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh please. Come on, the majority of anime and manga content out there can only be experienced through fansubs/scanlations. If anything, piracy HELPS sales because it allows properties to gain more fans. More fans equals more people willing to shell out the cash for the official product.

I personally will buy anything that has Lupin III on it because I love the experience of owning the physical product and supporting a franchise that only has a small following in the US. But you know what? The majority of Lupin III is ONLY fansubbed, and that's the only way I can experience it. If Discotek releases something officially, I'll definitely buy it. But it was through fansubs that I was introduced to Lupin III, and Discotek earned another customer because of that.

There's also the issue of some series going out of print or not being licensed. Have you seen the prices that Higurashi goes for on eBay? The hell with that. Geneon doesn't even exist anymore, Funimation doesn't care about the series, and no one is getting any of the money besides eBay and the seller.

So I have to ask, what exactly is the problem with piracy here?
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
One of my biggest dreams was to see Naruto and Luffy teaming up in a potential Naruto x One Piece crossover. Apparently that dream has come true somewhat.

now we just need Ichigo and Toriko to join in (although their respective anime studios cancelled their shows anyway)
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ibegounotkou Alex wrote:
haha this is actually kind of funny because luffy IS a pirate Smile

Laughing That didn't even occur to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Luffy has done very little, if any, actual pirating.

On the TMS front, they're brutal. They won't even let you use clips of their properties for reviews.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
So are they trying to take down "piracy" (fans getting ahold of some to read/watch pre-localization where they can buy it to add to their collection)...

...or Piracy: the idividual/individuals who take legimate products, copy them, make them look official, and sell it to fans which hurts both the companies who could have made the sell directly and the fans, who then end up with a pirated product that may not work, look right, or last as long.
...luckily I've learn to spot bootlegs; and I'd be happy if the companies would head off to Amazon.com and ebay and take them down. Because the existence of the phony product irritates me as it makes it almost impossible to find the real thing when you are looking for it.

I mean seriously....how many full series boxsets for $50 exist...
...I know Sailor Moon's bootlegs are covering the Sailor Moon search on Amazon...annoying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6