• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.K. Man Sentenced for Prohibited Images of 'Manga' Children

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some in school uniforms, and some exposing themselves

Pretty sure with these last two cases establishing precedent, all UK fans are now at risk. Especially with imported anime or manga from either Japan or US. However, it appears from the article, just accessing websites that are legal elsewhere puts you in danger.

Quote:
Judge Tony Briggs said the pictures were manufactured, stylised, and “repulsive” to varying degrees.

...which should have nothing to do with law. But given that manmade law is almost entirely based on personal beliefs of the collective, you always end up with this kind of injustice.
WSJ4L

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The hell? So doesn't this mean UK fans can't own anime like Highschool DxD and High School of the Dead, as that has girls exposing themselves?

Last edited by WSJ4L on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...young girls, some in school uniforms, and some exposing themselves...

Hell, if those are the guidelines, having a single volume of Seven Seas' Dragonar Academy would get the book thrown at you. Let's not even talk about visual novels... Confused

Ironic as it's a UK retailer I use for both...

Gazette wrote:
He added: “It’s clear that that material is available on a legitimate website in this country.

Uh...
Quote:
Judge Tony Briggs said the pictures were manufactured, stylised, and “repulsive” to varying degrees.

He said: “They are clearly all images designed to make people think they are of children. They are fictitious images in the sense that in no part of them does any real person appear.
The very style of manga and anime tend to veer towards an infantile look. But that's mostly just an artistic preference. Drawings don't have ages, those can only be stated. This ruling is insane, enough to trump the 'small breasts'-controversy down under...

Hope there's some way this ruling doesn't hold. Otherwise...

To people in UK, hone your skills in encrypting content on your hard-drives, keep safe and sane online and try use local retailers for import goods to avoid Customs...
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
WSJ4L wrote:
The hell? So doesn't this mean UK fans can't own anime like Highschool DxD and High School of the Dead, as that as girls exposing themselves?

Yes. The law has always been made and twisted by man bases on their personal beliefs and the persona invoking it.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The usual nonsense. Did anyone suffer the consequences of this man's doings ? No ? Then no need to punish him in such a paternalistic fashion in the name of some kind of superior morality.
GateCrusherDX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSIDrMR3cw
For those who use the "it doesn't hurt anyone" or "it isn't real" argument. Cue people calling me a prude/conservative at 3...2....1.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
As always, imaginary children in much in need of protection. Surprised

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
hellsingfan01

what the actual fudge
TD912

Quote:
Its danger is that it obviously portrays sexual activity with children, and the more it's portrayed, the more the ill-disposed may think it's acceptable.

That's the same argument used against video games. Replace "sexual activity with children" with "people getting shot" or any other kind of crime.

They're persecuting people for the way they think, not for any harm they actually have done to other people.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Following the same logic the whole tv should be banned from our lives, oh but wait, mainstream entertainment that has powerful people and corporations behind them and what they produce cannot be bullied Laughing

I wanna see someone prosecuted because of Hollywood movies or tv and set a precedent that they are bad influence Wink
TD912 wrote:
Quote:
Its danger is that it obviously portrays sexual activity with children, and the more it's portrayed, the more the ill-disposed may think it's acceptable.

That's the same argument used against video games. Replace "sexual activity with children" with "people getting shot" or any other kind of crime.

They're persecuting people for the way they think, not for any harm they actually have done to other people.

Well, the USA people has some kind of fixation with arms and believing they are a holy right to have and use. You can take anything away from them but not arms, arms are sacred.
GateCrusherDX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:
Following the same logic the whole tv should be banned from our lives, oh but wait, mainstream entertainment that has powerful people and corporations behind them and what they produce cannot be bullied Laughing

I wanna see someone prosecuted because of Hollywood movies or tv and set a precedent that they are bad influence Wink

Yeah, comparing that to indecent images of children(doesn't matter if they are real or not, it's the images themselves representing children) is pretty dumb.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
WSJ4L wrote:
The hell? So doesn't this mean UK fans can't own anime like Highschool DxD and High School of the Dead, as that has girls exposing themselves?

Which makes this all the more confusing, because both are legally available to buy in stores, uncut (with the former having a 15 certificate and the latter an 18).

Quote:

To be honest, this is an interesting point. Although punishing someone for starting what might be seen as others as a slippery slope, just doesn't sit with me.

I'd be quite interested in seeing research that looks into whether there is any link that can be made between such material and a possible rise in actual sexual crimes against minors.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
GateCrusherDX wrote:
Minami-Asakura wrote:

Yeah, comparing that to indecent images of children(doesn't matter if they are real or not, it's the images themselves representing children) is pretty dumb.

You should go to therapy or seek help if you think those imaginary-fictional stuff, not matter what its portrayed, can influence you to commit the same/similar acts.

You are simply judging from your moral grounds, nothing else and nothing more. If you wanna be an ultra moralist, be my guest, I dont give a cent, but dont come imposing your moralistic views on to all of us.

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
GateCrusherDX wrote:
Minami-Asakura wrote:

Doesn't matter, really? one is images of real children which hurts the subjects of those. The other is imaginary drawings with no victims. The difference is quite clear. If you're going to troll, go troll elsewhere...

And yes, the comparison of violence in entertainment fiction, and imaginary lolicon images is quite valid. Neither makes a normal sane person do those things in real life. And if the opposite exists, it works for both as well...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
GateCrusherDX wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSIDrMR3cw
For those who use the "it doesn't hurt anyone" or "it isn't real" argument. Cue people calling me a prude/conservative at 3...2....1.

I wouldn't say prude or conservative but perhaps a bit ignorant regarding the complexety of the issue at hand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/06/opinion/pedophilia-a-disorder-not-a-crime.html?_r=0

Quote:
A pedophile should be held responsible for his conduct — but not for the underlying attraction. Arguing for the rights of scorned and misunderstood groups is never popular, particularly when they are associated with real harm. But the fact that pedophilia is so despised is precisely why our responses to it, in criminal justice and mental health, have been so inconsistent and counterproductive. Acknowledging that pedophiles have a mental disorder, and removing the obstacles to their coming forward and seeking help, is not only the right thing to do, but it would also advance efforts to protect children from harm.

The debate now is to which types of behaviors do we decide to hold a pedophile responsible and guilty. Personally, I think punishing them for being attracted to drawings of young girls and/or children is going slightly too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11