• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga space issues! Aaaaah!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewiscute

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure the count, but we just moved and it's been hell to find space for all my collections, not to mention with my husbands new job my manga collection has increased a ton.

I like limited editions, I like to see books, and i hate double stacking. the extra space is for figures, dolls, and pokemon.
Though i hate that too because then i can't SEE my wonderful beautiful collections.

I sell stuff i dont like though. I have a whole shelf of stuff to rid myself of, but because of the move and the fact that i'm still putting up my collections, *manga, anime, videogames, Books, Textbooks *hubby* Pokemon merch, pokemon cards, Videogame books, movies, >> wow...* I haven't had time.

I need to finish and take pictures. We had plenty of room in our old house but that house didn't sell fast enough to buy the house we wanted, so we got stuck in a town home apartment. with a toddler 4 cats and our collections in only 2 bedrooms. we had 3, a huge garage, a huge basement ect before. were down so much sqare footage, so looks like my wall scrolls are going to stay away cause shelving *since we have to go up* is taking up all the wall space.

I'll post a pic in my own thread later. with all my collections. :/ >>
I organized by publisher before, but now i organize by publisher with the anime that goes with the manga next to it as well, plus figures or anything else that goes with it. ^^''
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
After years of having a cluster of manga piles on the floor around my shelf, I finally got a second shelf. And the stuff I had on the floor just about filled up the new one. I have some that aren't quite shelf worthy that I've decided to either put in boxes or sell. I still prefer print to digital, but from here on out I've decided to be much more selective about my purchases than I have been.

Also, I thought I had a lot until I saw some of the pictures in this thread! Impressive collections.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
I have two book shelves but I have to share space with games and also figurines and other trinkets too. I haven't gotten a solid count but I can say that at one point I had close to 1000 volumes worth of manga. Not to say that dwarfs anybody but it probably wouldn't hurt to check again. I'm actually in the middle of trying to get rid of stuff. I'm job hunting once again so there may be a chance I'll have to move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Getting to the end of my shelf space now, gonna have to build more but its a pain cos I gotta spend money buying wood id have spent on buying books lol.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I ran out of space a while ago...

I've been entertaining the idea of building some supplementary shelving, but I have no clue where to start! I'm not even sure what kind of power tools I might need. Has anyone made a how-to guide specifically for manga shelving?? That would be too perfect, lol.

I keep my collection limited by sticking to publishing lines that I know are great and specific artists like Miura, Matsumoto, Asano, and Urasawa. And I go digital when testing the waters.

Right now I have books on my desk, on my dresser...even on my piano. This is partly due to my modest accommodations, and partly due to owning only one bookshelf Razz
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been selling quite a bit of stuff lately! The other day, I sold 30 manga, then I came home to see I'd sold 28 more (and will hopefully seal a deal to sell 6 more on top of that)

Of course, I then countered that out by going to the damn comic shop and getting like, 12 more manga...but I am making progress to sell things! I have a bunch of stuff listed on here, some of which I haven't taken eBay pictures for yet (because of laziness partly, but also, if I sell it here, I won't have to take a picture or deal with an eBay listing or fees!)

I'm also going to stop buying so many v1s just because I can and they look interesting, going to rent some things from the library more often. Going to be more strict about starting new series (though Tezuka and Yoshinaga still get a pass)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Making your own stuff is easy done, get a tape measure and scout out how much space you're working with and then decide how big you want the shelves and how much space you want between each (measure your books and then leave a little extra space to manuver).

Once you have your measurements you can go buy some wood, id reccomend finding timber merchant so you can get a feel of whatever you buy. Most good timber merchants will be able to cut you any pieces you want so i usually have them cut me 2 sides of one size and then several shelf pieces of another.

Once you get all that back home some nails and a bit of wood glue will stick em all together nicley just make sure to mark on the side bits where the shelves are and dont make the shelves too long or they will sag in the middle. if you want to go a step further you can add thin board to the back but that shouldnt be needed unless you have painted walls you are concerned about rubbing off on the books. for free standing shelves just leave a shelf or two off the bottomso that the sides act as legs.

i made my shelves 72 inches tall 52 inches long with gaps of between 9-14 inches between (9 is the usual for typical stuff)
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Thank you Mr. Soldat. You make it sound so easy, lol. I never even knew such a thing as a timber merchant existed! All really good advice.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
i made my shelves 72 inches tall 52 inches long with gaps of between 9-14 inches between (9 is the usual for typical stuff)

Does this mean vertical beams should be 9-14 inches apart, or is that the depth of the shelves? I think most manga are 6 inches....would a 7 inch shelf look weird? I ask because having shelves my cat cant climb on is a consideration for me. Also, any suggestion as to what order to nail the pieces together? Do the shelves get nailed after the entire frame is complete or leave 1 side open? Thanks again.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
the horizontals are 9-14 inches apart (depending on the size of the books you want to store), your verticals are your sides.

What i go for is to have 2 sides connected at the bottom by 1 board that is 2 inches longer that your regular shelves (assuming you get 1 inch thick boards). That way you get a frame to work with, like a rectangle that's open at the top. The all you do is mark along your verticals where the shelves will be, glue in place as you can adjust before it sets and then hammer some nails part of the way in. Use a spirit level (or get a spirit level app on a smart phone, the future is now) to check its level and if it is finish hammering the nails in or if not pull em out and adjust the shelf.

I did that with mine and when i got to the top and there wasn't enough space for 2 shelves I just left the 1 and had it for XL books which has become the standard for me now as you never know when some book with a unusual dimension will hit your collection.

of course if you are doing the free standing book case then you can ignore the advice about the frame and just have the 2 vertical sides connected by the horizontal shelves but recruit a friend or 2 to help hold stuff while you secure it as there's nothing more frustrating than trying to hammer loose bits of wood together.

Also make sure to wipe up any excess glue while its still wet as it will get in the way.

As far as timber merchants go im lucky that i have a couple of builders merchants near that incorporate timber departments but basically you want to go somewhere that caters to DIY or tradesmen.

I highly recommend getting a scrap of paper and a pen and scribbling down your plan beforehand just to get a visual of what you plan to do, it helps you to spot problems before you're stood there with a heap of boards and wet glue.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
I build my own shelves too, but I use a combination of shelf boards (white or wood grain) and paving bricks to make a more adjustable setup in case I want to add more on top later, make shelves taller or shorter, or reconfigure the room layout. Depending on what kind of materials you use, it can look quite nice!

Another advantage is that I've lived in a couple of really old houses with sloped floors, and this building technique means I don't worry about bookcases that tip either into or away from the walls depending what side of the room they're on...

(sorry, I don't have pictures of my shelves because I just moved (with more than 2 dozen boxes of books...) and haven't got the shelves rebuilt yet. but googling "board brick bookshelf" will give you several examples/variations.)
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You're always welcome to donate the books you don't read anymore. A lot of great charities can use the books, and I'm sure you could use the tax break.

For example: www.carolinamangalibrary.com
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
I'm for a tax break, but how would one donate if one is not going to any of the cons listed on your page? The next con I'm going to is further north (Zenkaikon in Lancaster, PA)
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
You can mail them to us. On our website www.carolinamangalibrary you can click on Donations, and our address pops up. If it's going to cost a lot in shipping, use the Contact Us link to email us and we will see if we can work something out.

Otherwise we will most likely be at Ohayocon in January.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ok, neat! How much of a tax deduction can you get, if you don't mind me asking? Like, assuming a book is $10 MSRP, how much tax deduction would you get for that?
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
We go by the Goodwill and Salvation Army standards for donated books. Books in very good condition are valued at $3 per book. Books in poor condition are valued at around $1. We provide donation receipts for all donations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4