• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YouTube Considers Ad-Free Paid Subscriptions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice offer, but I can deal with the ads. When I watched Youtube video on my smart TV (mine is LG), no ads at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
That's a nice offer, but I can deal with the ads. When I watched Youtube video on my smart TV (mine is LG), no ads at all.

I deal with the ads by using adblock Mr. Green
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Darstorm-Sandude wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Shhh. we don't want youtube finding out this secret technology.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Darstorm-Sandude wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Not everyone who goes to YouTube have Adblock.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

Not everyone who goes o YouTube have Adblock.

But it's a free thing that anyone can get. The scenario that line of logic presents is, "Well, I want to watch Youtube without commercials, but I have neglected to take the few seconds required to download Adblock. Oh, well, might as well pay for a subscription."
fribee1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
vgiannell5 wrote:

Not everyone who goes o YouTube have Adblock.

But it's a free thing that anyone can get. The scenario that line of logic presents is, "Well, I want to watch Youtube without commercials, but I have neglected to take the few seconds required to download Adblock. Oh, well, might as well pay for a subscription."

And what about the people that don't KNOW about ad block? I volunteer at a library to help people learn their tech or fix problems and unless you're an avid user of the internet, there's a good chance you don't know about adblock, which is good.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
fribee1 wrote:

And what about the people that don't KNOW about ad block? I volunteer at a library to help people learn their tech or fix problems and unless you're an avid user of the internet, there's a good chance you don't know about adblock, which is good.

By that logic, someone not being aware of something free means that that they should have to pay a subscription simply for being unaware. The fact remains that everyone who has access to youtube also has access to a search engine. If they have access to a search engine and they're thinking of paying for a subscription, there's a good chance that they'll type "watch youtube without ads" into Google, and BAM! Problem solved. Just because someone isn't aware of a free alternative doesn't mean that they should have to pay extra money.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
What ads?

Only for noobs that cannot even install a mere plugin in firefox or chrome to disable all ads ANYWHERE not just youtube. And its FREE.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Darstorm-Sandude wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

They're talking about video ads that play before the videos. Adblock ain't gonna help there.
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Adblock aside (there are devices that don't have it), I don't think advertisers will like this move a whole lot. Razz
Drunk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Well, there are ways to block users who use AdBlock. I've already seen that on a few websites. But I guess there are also ways to avoid being blocked because of using Adblock. ^^
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
There are people who actually want money to go to the people making the videos they're enjoying so they don't use adblock and let the ads play or pay a subscription where the perk is ad removal.

Participating in the economic ecosystem that produces this material is not always done out of ignorance.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
I actually don't mind the ads. We have grown far too impatient in our modern society.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Could be my settings, but I have Adblock and I still see YT ads. That being said, this might be a nice idea, but I have no idea how many people will want to do it.

If they could make more ads that allow you to skip after the first 5 seconds or so, I'd be fine with that honestly. I just get annoyed with the 30-second+ ads that you have to sit through just to watch a 30-second AMV. XP
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I actually don't mind the ads. We have grown far too impatient in our modern society.

I agreed, I don't have any problem with ads, sometime I used the ads for me to get out of my seat and go to the bathroom (although I could press the pause button when I watched the video if I wanted to go to the bathroom).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2