• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fukouka Police Distribute Anti-Yakuza Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Was his made with Microsoft Paint?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Was his made with Microsoft Paint?

You're not alone, that's what I thought when I saw the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Earlier this week, the Fukuoka Prefectural Police Department published a short manga story as an attempt to discourage citizens from partaking in yakuza gang activities.

The police don't want no competition.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Juzo Itami's anti-Yakuza comedies were better.

(And, unfortunately for him, more effective.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if those excerpts would've been more or less funny if I could read the text, especially that fat man getting shot at and smiling on the lower-right of the first excerpt.

I'm guessing this was done entirely using in-house talent. Everything about it is laughable--the artwork, the color choices, the way characters seem to pop in and out of the story panel by panel, and I'm sure the story is nothing to write home about either (maybe except for "You've got to see how bad this is!"). McGruff the Crime Hound looks like Schindler's List compared to this.

Their intentions are noble, but really, I don't think this is going to convince anyone, not even those on the fence.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Fukuoka gangs can be dangerous. This has been several years back now, but there was a case in a small town about an hours' drive from Fukuoka in which a 30-year old father of two, hospitalized for a leg injury he got playing soccer, was mercilessly gunned down in his hospital room. At first, the murder looked totally random, but investigators soon learned that the patient's name hadn't been posted on the door, and that the previous occupant of that room had been a member of a gang that was at war with another gang, both based in Fukuoka.

Fortunately, the suspect used the expressway to go back, which is a toll road. Police gathered up every toll ticket that had been turned in between the crime scene and Fukuoka during the relevant time frame, scanned them for fingerprints, and cross-referenced them with a print database of known members of the gang that had likely targeted the intended victim. They found a match. He resembled the guy caught in security camera video, he had gotten on the freeway at the town in question shortly after the shooting, and he...had already been arrested on separate charges (getting high and firing off a pistol in the street a day or two afterward) by the time a warrant was put out on him. He was in his sixties. Years he ought to have spent spoiling grandkids are now being wasted doing time for murder.

I'm glad to hear gang activity has decreased in the years since this case. The police have been quite aggressively targeting "bouryokudan" (violent organizations) in the years since this happened. This comic is a small, small part of that effort. I don't know who it might reach, but I'm not going to say one bad thing about them making it.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
@ vanfanel That was really interesting story. I didn't knew the yakuza specially the violent ones can be that horrible. I feel sorry for the family to lose him in such a tragic way.

I always thought yakuza are not completely bad people particularly when they are helping people in the event of 2011 earthquake and tsunami. But maybe I'm gonna reconsider it.

Let's just hope the anti-yakuza manga is effective. (Even though the drawing is microsoft paint-like)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Most crime organizations began as groups that helped defend some repressed people somewhere. The Mafia defended the ethnically repressed. The Yakuza defended the politically repressed. Nearly all of these organizations still have at least a hint of that somewhere in them--if something comes by that threatens the existence of the entire place, most notably the Fukushima incident, if there's a crime group there, they will often be on the front lines. "Protection money" includes protection from outside threats, which was its original meaning.

I never thought of the Yakuza as being particularly threatening or powerful compared to the Mafia, the Crips and Bloods, or the 18th Street Gang, however. But I suppose with Japan's populace being mostly unarmed, they could still be quite the menace to the locals, perhaps even more so. That story was something of a surprise, as the Yakuza seem to be portrayed largely as punks or vagabonds roaming the streets, causing petty crime for the thrill, rarely performing any coordinated and organized attacks.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I never thought of the Yakuza as being particularly threatening or powerful compared to the Mafia, the Crips and Bloods, or the 18th Street Gang, however.

I discussed them with a Japanese friend who currently lives in Tokyo but has also lived on the west coast. She is terrified of yakuza, and she isn't someone who's easily scared. She said when you saw them coming, you moved across the street, you never made eye contact, and you left them alone. They pride themselves on being ultraviolent at the drop of a hat- it's a sign of their disdain for rules and politeness of Japanese society. If the slightest thing about you annoys them, they'll beat the crap out of you to the point of permanent damage.

Don't romanticize them. They're threatening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1