• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Regret-tinged Nostalgia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
...but I actually did watch a K-Drama series on CrunchyRoll called "Queen of Office" which is really good. It's worth noting that (altho the plot is NOTHING like it) it is similar to the American "The Office" in that its a complete remake of a foreign (Japanese) show. I believe Taiwan also re-purposes a bunch of Japanese content. So it might be interesting to consider "inspired by Japanese version" content when discussing reach.

Well, the fact that Japanese media is somewhat restricted in Korea might have an effect on the amount of remakes, especially for TV-dramas...

The regulations have been relaxed in recent years for thing like movies in theaters, physical copies of media, documentaries etc. But for music and dramas on terrestrial airwaves in South Korea they are still largely in place and enforced;

Censorship of Japanese media in South Korea
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Well, the fact that Japanese media is somewhat restricted in Korea might have an effect on the amount of remakes, especially for TV-dramas...

The regulations have been relaxed in recent years for thing like movies in theaters, physical copies of media, documentaries etc. But for music and dramas on terrestrial airwaves in South Korea they are still largely in place and enforced;

When I was in South Korea, I saw a channel called Channel J which broadcast J-dramas and Japanese music video so not everything Japanese is banned in South Korea. I even saw Japanese anime dubbed in Korean on TV when I was in South Korea.

however, there has been a growing anti-Korean sentiments recently in Japan:

Wall Street Journal-Anti-Korean Voices Grow in Japan

Soompi-Most Ridiculous Anti-Hallyu Movements in Japan

In 2012, NHK's Kōhaku Uta Gassen didn't have any K-pop artists in their line-up leading to people saying the anti-Korean sentiment in Japan (and the Dokdo Island dispute) was the cause of this. NHK denied this, but we'll never know why NHK did this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I've watched plenty of English versions of 1990's anime shows and, IMO, I find that most of them are nowhere near as bad as some people claim that they are. If one wanted to find which '90s anime show's English version is truly bad, one needn't look no further than Revolutionary Girl Utena (the TV show).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

When I was in South Korea, I saw a channel called Channel J which broadcast J-dramas and Japanese music video so not everything Japanese is banned in South Korea. I even saw Japanese anime dubbed in Korean on TV when I was in South Korea.

however, there has been a growing anti-Korean sentiments recently in Japan:

Wall Street Journal-Anti-Korean Voices Grow in Japan

Soompi-Most Ridiculous Anti-Hallyu Movements in Japan

In 2012, NHK's Kōhaku Uta Gassen didn't have any K-pop artists in their line-up leading to people saying the anti-Korean sentiment in Japan (and the Dokdo Island dispute) was the cause of this. NHK denied this, but we'll never know why NHK did this.

Those protests are laughably bad, really so basically eating ramen a different way makes you a "barbarian", some people need psychological evaluations but I wonder if I can find that manga though, I need to look into that, a raw should be around somewhere. They are just like many of the people who care about social justice, nitpicking and not even having a good reason to other than they are jealous and butthurt over Korean media being more popular than Japanese media.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:
That last question brings up an interesting point about the rather subjective nature of "coolness" and something I have been curious about for some time now.

Y'mean, why hasn't someone grabbed mdo7 and told him that nobody on the planet likes Korean stuff except other Koreans?...While emphasizing the point by repeatedly smashing his face into the computer monitor? Razz
It was cute/annoying on the boards for a while (substitute "American" for "South Korean", and you've got Snomaster...PERIOD)--But if he's going to break out of his cage and start scribbling his nationalistically obsessed geek-banner-waving on the actual archivable columns, that's it, SWAT teams, shut this guy down. NOW.

I don't spend as much time here as many other folks do, but even my limited browsing has been enough to make me tired of that one-note drum beat. And to see it taking up valuable space in an Answerman column is depressing. Yes, it's good of Justin to take a question at face value. But when that question is so badly loaded, and instead of being born of any true interest in the Cool Japan concept is simply the latest part of an incessant and undying laser-focused campaign that hardly anyone here seems to even care about, it's just a waste. Though maybe it was just a slow week for questions.

As a Korean American who seldom watch Korean shows (I do like their game/variety shows though), I find mdo7's incessant glorification of K-Pop/Drama and constant downplay on anime obnoxious. At one time, he sent me this super long private message about how well Korean media is doing after I made a comment on how obnoxious he is on the forum.

Since Justin answered mdo7's question with clarity, I hope he could just shut up about how wonderful K-pop/drama is. We all get it. Being a K-pop fan is fine and all, but being obnoxious is not fine.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
To that K-issue, I don't really follow Letter-pop or Letter-dramas, so maybe I'll care about how great Korea's cultural export is when they start making anime.
I do watch Letter-dramas Laughing and I still don't care if J-dramas get popular here in the West. Doesn't affect me at all, I just keep watching what I want to watch.

I don't understand why anyone on the fan level should care if what they want to watch is popular or not, or how popular it is compared to the neighboring country's output ("popular=/=good" and all the usual statements). K-dramas are more popular because they've become super-easy to access-- gone are the days when you had to download raws and find fansubs on any of a number of sites strewn across the internet. It's just a matter of convenience, not quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

As a Korean American who seldom watch Korean shows (I do like their game/variety shows though), I find mdo7's incessant glorification of K-Pop/Drama and constant downplay on anime obnoxious. At one time, he sent me this super long private message about how well Korean media is doing after I made a comment on how obnoxious he is on the forum.

Since Justin answered mdo7's question with clarity, I hope he could just shut up about how wonderful K-pop/drama is. We all get it. Being a K-pop fan is fine and all, but being obnoxious is not fine.

Hey whoa, whoa. All I just did was submit a question, and I thought mine on why did Cool Japan fail when South Korea was able to do this was a very interesting question. I've already tone down my love of K-pop/K-dramas. But South Korea has made a lot of anime fans questioning why Japan didn't market and globalize their pop culture beyond anime including their celebrities outside of Asia when South Korea was able to do this.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey whoa, whoa. All I just did was submit a question, and I thought mine on why did Cool Japan fail when South Korea was able to do this was a very interesting question. I've already tone down my love of K-pop/K-dramas. But South Korea has made a lot of anime fan questioning why Japan didn't market and globalize their pop culture including their celebrities outside of Asia when South Korea was able to do this.

You didn't ask the question so you could possibly find any answer, I have discussed enough with you to realize that you have a quite strict mindset. You have asked the question so you could have an excuse to glorify Korea and condemn Japan for being backwards and underdeveloped.
This is an anime site, most people don't care about K-pop or K-drama or even about the tensions between Korea and Japan. I was initially indifferent to you, but you are just becoming quite obnoxious.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm sort of confused-- it's a Japanese event, why would they have necessarily had any international musical group performing?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yuzu77 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

There is anti-Japanese sentiment in korea. Trying to deny it by bringing up counter articles about anti-korean sentiment in Japan doesn't make it any less true.

I won't denied there's some anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea. But it's not as big as anti-Korean sentiments in South Korea. Call me when South Korea start putting something like this to foreigner.

Quote:
mdo7 wrote:
But South Korea has made a lot of anime fans questioning why Japan didn't market and globalize their pop culture beyond anime including their celebrities outside of Asia when South Korea was able to do this.

No, that's only you.

Actually I met other people beside myself that complain about this too, maybe you didn't read this.

Quote:
If they want to replicate the success they need to start acknowledging the non Japanese fans
let us upload s*** on youtube, update your website JE, create a facebook for each group with the latest info

Quote:
I love Jpop more than Kpop, but the thing is I have a little more respect for kpop. Regardless of Korea's attempt to earn more money by expanding, they do not shun international fans. Kpop allows international fans access to their media.

Japan on the other hand makes it near impossible to get anything legally. We can't join the fan club without jumping through hoops of fire. I'm not wanting or even expecting this huge American/international debut from any band in Japan. But really, have a little more respect for the international fans.

Japan should be fair to fans by allowing at least access to the media instead of keeping it under lock and key. They need a window for the international population to be exposed to Japan's music industry and then if they become a fan, allow them the SAME rights as Japanese fans have. That's all I want...just a little more fairness and consideration towards international fans. Is it too much to ask!??!?

I could find more like this to show I'm not alone.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I'm sort of confused-- it's a Japanese event, why would they have necessarily had any international musical group performing?

Well K-pop groups has been performing at Kōhaku Uta Gassen a few times and Poonk, that event do have foreign artists in there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Old rule of the Internet:
"Play with trolls and you get to keep them...Play with obsessive Internet k00ks, and you get to keep them FOREVER."
I suspect Justin will soon find that out for generously giving mdo the time of day about his one raison d'etre, and will pay the inevitable price.
Let us show Justin our support, he will need all the help he can get. Sad

Again, it's the Gary Larson factor: mdo7 doesn't quite understand that someone might not like his long post, he's just thrilled that someone talks to him. And when you you respond to him, saying "No one wants to hear about your stupid Korean obsession with k-drama and k-pop", he hears "Blahblahblah Korean blahblahblah k-drama, blahblahblah k-pop" and continues to link every headline about its "growing popularity".
Rule of thumb, NORMAL posts do not exceed five paragraphs or seven Internet links in one post.

...Like the line from WarGames, the only way to win is not to play.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
poonk wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well K-pop groups has been performing at Kōhaku Uta Gassen a few times.
A few times out of 60+ years, and yet the absence of K-pop artists that one year is some conspiracy? Methinks the authors of those articles were desperate for something juicy to write about.

Edit: (I realized I misread the numbers on the page regarding that specific year's event, but my argument still stands that lack of K-pop artists isn't necessarily evidence of anti-Korean sentiment, any more than lack of Russian, American, Chinese, etc. performers is evidence of anti-(X nationality) sentiment. It's a Japanese show.)

Edit 2:
mdo7 wrote:
I won't denied there's some anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea. But it's not as big as anti-Korean sentiments in South Korea. Call me when South Korea start putting something like this to foreigner.
I'm sure you meant "anti-Korean sentiments in Japan," not South Korea, but anyway, something looked odd about this sign so I reverse imaged searched it and... I think it's actually Chinese.

Last edited by poonk on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 5 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:

A few times out of 60+ years, and yet the absence of K-pop artists that one year is some conspiracy? Methinks the authors of those articles were desperate for something juicy to write about.

There were other foreign singers on Kōhaku too, not only Korean one. But NHK excluding K-pop artists in the 2012 Kōhaku was somewhat suspicious, it was at the time there was political tension between Japan and South Korea.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I suspect Justin will soon find that out for generously giving mdo the time of day about his one raison d'etre, and will pay the inevitable price.
Let us show Justin our support, he will need all the help he can get. Sad

Regardless who posited the question, it was an interesting one to answer, and it actually has come up before. Not everyone who reads the column also visits the forums, or has any idea who the asker was. My goal is purely to find the good, answerable questions, research, and write an answer that will inform as many people as possible. Anything beyond that is out of my control, and I tend to ignore it for the most part. (It's the only way to stay sane writing this column.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7