• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Regret-tinged Nostalgia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
I really wonder what mdo aims to accomplish with his K Evangelism in an anime site of all places. If anything, he doesn't preach to the heavens about manwha or Korean animation. Now that's some food for thought.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Fedora-san wrote:
I just have to seriously question how big Korean shows are in the west compared to anime. If they're so popular why aren't they airing on big TV channels like anime is? How come tons of American media ape Japanese shows rather than Korean ones? Like all the anime influenced cartoons and movies, or live action stuff like Power Rangers and it's many American rip offs which are based on tokusatsu?

The popularity of Korean programming seems to be very regional, with highest concentrations on the west and east coasts. They also seem to be viewed mainly by immigrants from eastern Asia, middle-aged women in particular. Hence, I would never call them mainstream, but they are intensely well-liked and well-watched among that particular group.

This is a pretty niche audience though...but then again, you could say that anime is also a thing that's intensely well-liked and well-watched among a particular group of people too.

Certainly though, K-dramas have managed to get onto broadcast stations in Los Angeles. Doesn't compare to Toonami though.

Redirecting this back to Fedora-San. I don't know if this count but several K-dramas has been shown on Spanish channel (dubbed in Spanish) like Telemundo and Mundofox:

You're Beautiful (Eres mi Estrella in Spanish) on Telemundo

Secret Garden (Jardin Secreto in Spanish) trailer on Telemundo

Shining Inheritance (Sorpresas del Destino in Spanish) on Telemundo

Shining Inheritance on Mundofox

Stairway to Heaven (Escalera Al Cielo in Spanish) on Mundofox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
To me the larger number of terrible dubs in the past has a lot to do with unfamiliarity with the difference between anime VA requirements and those of American cartoons. American cartoons require that people do funny and very exaggerated voices, a la Mel Blanc and the Simpson's cast. Anime can require things like that, like Nyanko-sensei in Natsume Yuujincho, but for the most part it just needs people treating the role as if they were acting it in a movie- no schtick, just acting.

As anime became more widespread here, people understood that better and so their are more VAs and studios who get that and do that. I'm not saying there weren't great dubs back then, just that there were fewer.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Aside from most 4kids dubs, I can't think of any unwatchable dubs that have come out in the past decade, although that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Some of the late-era Geneon dubs were very sub-par, like with one of my favourite anime from the past decade (although its 10th anniversary is coming up next summer), Strawberry Marshmallow. It's not that the dub is that cringeworthy if I was reviewing individual performances, but none of the women doing the dub sound much like 11 or 12-year old girls, so they all come across as sounding super mature for their age.

It's like, if the dub actresses had been voicing high school students, Strawberry Marshmallow wouldn't stick out much at all in my mind as an example of a not-quite-terrible-but-not-very-good-either dub, but there's just too much of a disconnect between the voices and the visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
If voice actors WERE shared between anime and western animation, then I'd bet another major factor is that they're dubbing over finished animated footage for anime whereas for western animation, they do the acting before any animation is done, and then the characters are animated based on the actor's performance.

When someone is used to acting without having to lip-synch to anyone, they're going to have a difficult time when they do.

There's a bunch more crossover of actors between anime and western animation now though, but I noticed most come from anime, then started also doing western animation, like with Yuri Lowenthal, and I'd bet it's because it's easier to transition from lip-synching acting to not-lip-synching acting. (Then again, you have cases like Hynden Walch who went in the other direction.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
I have a sub-question about Justin's statement about the Korean pop industry "jettisoning" physical CDs: does that mean you can't get CDs from most K-pop acts at all anymore, or does it mean, as I suspect, that CDs still exist but they're not the primary revenue stream?

It's just, y'know, some of us luddites still value owning physical copies of music we like and I'm glad I can still get CDs of practically any album or single a J-pop singer puts out (and will still be able to do so for some time to come). I'm not about to start buying K-pop as I understand a little Japanese but not any Korean, so it's mostly a moot point, but if I were interested in K-pop, I'd still rather have the physical media option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey, we Americans still buy vinyl records. Heck, vinyl record releases come out for modern music to this day. There's heavy nostalgia involved in buying music.

No love for cassette tapes, 8-tracks, or those wax cylinders Thomas Edison used though. But I'm guessing it's because they're not nearly as durable as vinyls or CDs.

Now that you bring it up though, I'm wondering too. I can see Koreans relinquishing CDs entirely, as their culture is on the bleeding edge of technology and digital socialization and proud of it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying I don't appreciate vinyl, and I have two turntables (and a microphone, ha ha) in my house, but CD is still the primary way I listen to music since you can listen to CDs in practically every other kind of optical media player/drive other than the Nintendo Game Cube. Okay, I don't know if every Laserdisc player had a CD tray, but the base model Pioneer one I have does.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, you can also obviously not play CDs on a UMD drive in a PSP or other UMD devices that also existed pre-PSP.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm not about to start buying K-pop as I understand a little Japanese but not any Korean, so it's mostly a moot point, but if I were interested in K-pop, I'd still rather have the physical media option.
You can still buy K-pop CDs and the packaging is usually pretty nice (esp. considering the lower price, when you're used to paying J-pop prices). Like, big fancy boxes and "booklets" that are often more like small photobooks.

I once got a Big Bang album (they're actually more like EPs when one considers the number of songs but whatever) and I had to look up a YouTube video to see how to get the CD out of the box. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Yuzu77 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I won't denied there's some anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea. But it's not as big as anti-Korean sentiments in South Korea. Call me when South Korea start putting something like this to foreigner.

Poppycock. There is a plethora of pictures and articles on the internet that debunk the ridiculous notion that the animosity between korea and Japan is one-sided. You just refuse to acknowledge that reality in order to better serve your blind nationalism and fanboy nature.

Then where's your evidence?? This is blanket statement from what I'm reading.

poonk wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
I'm not about to start buying K-pop as I understand a little Japanese but not any Korean, so it's mostly a moot point, but if I were interested in K-pop, I'd still rather have the physical media option.
You can still buy K-pop CDs and the packaging is usually pretty nice (esp. considering the lower price, when you're used to paying J-pop prices). Like, big fancy boxes and "booklets" that are often more like small photobooks.

Very true, K-pop CDs are cheaper and also they have a very nice packaging, I bought like 5 K-pop CDs during my trip in South Korea.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yuzu77 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I won't denied there's some anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea. But it's not as big as anti-Korean sentiments in South Korea. Call me when South Korea start putting something like this to foreigner.
Poppycock. There is a plethora of pictures and articles on the internet that debunk the ridiculous notion that the animosity between korea and Japan is one-sided. You just refuse to acknowledge that reality in order to better serve your blind nationalism and fanboy nature.
I don't know if y'all saw my edit to my previous post but I think this sign is actually Chinese in origin. Not that that means Japan has no anti-Korean sentiment but maybe this pic shouldn't be pulled out as proof of such.

Last edited by poonk on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Then where's your evidence?? This is blanket statement from what I'm reading.

I copied "anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea" from your previous post and pasted it into Google and got what seems to be hundreds of hits.
I did not do more than take a quick look at a few of them because I really do not care, but the pages do seem to be there.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Here's a little anecdote about what it was like doing anime dubs in the UK in the 90s:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=inWpe4hhc0IC&pg=PA235
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Now that things have been peacefully resolved between everyone, I'm re-opening this thread.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Now that things have been peacefully resolved between everyone, I'm re-opening this thread.

Thank you Tony, I'll follow my promise I made.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7