• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Guess each season needs a little bit of dumb fun, and I simply love this one.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
best comedy this season hand down! xD Just love the opening so much
Ryoko24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Love this so so far! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I do love that Kokkuri's weapon of choice is a frying pan. But this is nowhere near Itchy & Scratchy levels of pointless, bloody violence. I don't really enjoy the slapstick of Looney Tunes all that much either, but I'm loving every minute of this. My only discomfort with it is if I imagine people who take everything super-seriously (Pokemon is cockfighting for children!) watching it. Smile
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
A nice show overall, but I really don't see it as A material.
It's fairly repetitive, and doesn't really offer much either way. The new episode, focusing on Inugami (who is generally a terrible character with nothing to offer the show) was especially pointless in my opinion. The new character introduced at the end doesn't seem much more interesting.
Some of the jokes are funny, and the first episode was very nicely built, but I feel there isn't much beyond that.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
A-?
Well, I assume it's because of the inclusion of funny bishies. I doubt it can be an A material for boys though.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This boy thinks the show has consistently churned out "A" material and that the reviews have been spot-on.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this show is particularly funny, but it's awfully cute most of the time.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
A-?
Well, I assume it's because of the inclusion of funny bishies. I doubt it can be an A material for boys though.

I think that amy is just very inclined to giving shows A even if they do not deserve it. I am a guy and a fan of the show and I can totally agree it is a great show but it is not an A episode. I would give the series as a whole maybe a B+ or A- and this was one of the weakest episodes even if the new classmate was one of the funniest segments the show has ever done. I would give this episode a solid B
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I thought the running gag for the second segment was well executed. Maybe it's because I'm pushing 40 and I'm a child of the 80's, but the only part of that gag that was missing was for our ET to "phone home"

That said, while it's not the funniest series we had this year (monthly shoujo nozaki-kun takes this prize,) it certainly helps to act as a buffer between those series that are far more drama-filled that pull at the heartstrings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
amcnulty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
When a show can make me laugh at something that's already been parodied to death, I know it's a keeper.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I found pretty much every part of Episode 5 entertaining. In fact I was saddened when it ended a d was surprised because it felt really short. The Jimeko part wasn't my favorite focus of the episode, that would be the transfer student part, but it was still entertaining.

I don't see an issue with Inugami's guns whatsoever in fact I find it to be generally funny. But you do raise a good point, why does a dog spirit have guns?

I do have to question what makes this show edgy, because I don't see any real signs of edginess. But that might just be me.

What's most interesting to me anyway is that I don't really like comedy series. But I find myself loving this one. One of the reasons why I'm not find of the genre is because I have a very odd sense of humor, that most shows don't cater to. This show in the other hand actually makes me laugh out loud, sure this episode was rather tame in that regard, but the series overall is hilarious. It's much better as a comedy series, in my opinion due to the fact that it doesn't rely too heavily on character tropes, nor does it have fanservice that could upset the flow of the comedy.

This is a series I didn't plan to pick up, but man am I glad I did!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I think a good deal of the edginess stems from Inugami lusting after an elementary school-aged girl. In the second episode, he/she outright stated "I want to have *** with Kohina-san!" Additionally, I think physical comedy that results in bloodshed is generally considered edgy.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I binged thru this series yesterday and I have to say, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected I would when I saw the key visual. I'm really glad I gave it a chance. The antics with Kohina in her doll form and the occasional moments of seeing her as her true self remind me of scenes of Sunako from the Wallflower. And I may be bias to this after watching the World is Still Beautiful the day before but, Inugami is definitely my favorite character (especially in his male form) and I look forward to him having more romantic moments with Kohina.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting that and complimenting the little consistency detail of keeping Shigaraki's scar from protecting Kohina from the eyeball demon. It's been one of the scarce character development moments of the series and it pleased me quite a bit to see it wasn't shoved under the rug
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3