• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lord Marksman and Vanadis [2014-10-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
addiemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Besides, how does making a few factual mistakes mean someone isn't an anime fan?

Seconding this.

I mean, not to dog on ANN or anyone else, but I just can't imagine that writing about anime pays so amazingly well that someone who doesn't like anime would want to do it.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been having mixed feelings about Lord Marksman and Vanadis. It's well done, if anything Tigre's female lead seems to be little too simple for me as warleader aka War Maiden. Hopefully more depth will be given to Vanadis before series ends.

Episode 4 balanced thing though, with political intrigue and humor. Poisoning scene was handled right. Wasn't sexualized, frankly wasn't really sucking her breast, but her chest near her shoulder. Yeah, people will think what they will think, but I'm glad the producers didn't over due it.

I do wonder how Japanese fans are reacting to the show, they're going determine if this will go on beyond this series' run or not. This isn't a normal typical magical girl/harem/magic type series. It and Akame gu Kill! are more align with style of mixing humor and serious situations with together. I do think the Akame gu Kill will properly b more rememberable with its body count growing per episode.
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The first 3 episodes left me hoping, but of course it would be a false hope. From good too bad in just a week. Cutting out essentially 3/5s of the second novel made this feel rushed. Even skipping the fan service bit as if they want to be taken seriously, well good luck with that with these female characters.
Wrangler wrote:
I do wonder how Japanese fans are reacting to the show, they're going determine if this will go on beyond this series' run or not. This isn't a normal typical magical girl/harem/magic type series.

Based on the opening this should cover as much as 8 of the 10 novels at least, if not all of it. If we are lucky the second big story arc is finished with the 10th and they have planned to include it all so there is an actual End to this Smile
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Re:Episode 4 Review

It wasn't the son of a Zchted ally either. He was actually one of the main forces fighting AGAINST Zchted in the first episode, and one of the major parties currently vying for the throne of Brune, Game of Thrones style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Papa Thenardier is a much respected man outside of Brune, respected enough to make Vanadis move armies. Too bad they skipped having Sophy telling the story of the Merchant of Muenz, and the restrictions put on Elen. While Hope did mix up who was related to who and in what way, people seem to think this is all crystal clear when it is far from it.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed with episode 5. The ANN review gave it a B-, really? The conversion from episode 4 to 5 is a mess. They are looking for allies to form a third faction, are attacked by assassins and, after parting with Ludmila, they are again in the midle of war and fighting, moving through the mountains? It's barely explained in the episode, and the little explained is done badly. The anime shouldn't take into account smth like "you should read the manga/ln to understand what's going on."
And not much to say about the whole bearskin disguide and subsequent scenes. They have ripped a hole in the middle of the episode and character consistency only to show the milder side of Ludmila. Even that part of the episode is forced and impossible to believe.
The weakest episode of the anime for now...
kazziyan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
"For now, this show continues to be significantly better than I expected at first glance."

Let me guess: The fanservice turned you off.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
"For now, this show continues to be significantly better than I expected at first glance."

More like the generic art style and direction, but sure, the extremely shiny and frequently bouncing in close-up boobs didn't help either. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised though.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

More like the generic art style and direction, but sure, the extremely shiny and frequently bouncing in close-up boobs didn't help either. It's nice to be pleasantly surprised though.

I can agree on the story. It would be nice if someone who enjoys fanservice or is at least OK with it to review a series like this. Though, Vanadis is a bit excessive with it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

I can agree on the story. It would be nice if someone who enjoys fanservice or is at least OK with it to review a series like this. Though, Vanadis is a bit excessive with it.

The review for episode 5 directly states that I like the fanservice in it because it's just fun nudity not built around shame, and makes for neat entertaining scenes like the one at the top of the episode. Dunno what else I can do for you there. I don't dislike fanservice at all, naked bodies don't bother me and hey, errbuddy likes titties. I just don't care for uncomfortable attitudes toward women, which is usually what accompanies that fanservice, but so far this show has none of that!
kazziyan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
kazziyan wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
kazziyan wrote:

The review for episode 5 directly states that I like the fanservice in it because it's just fun nudity not built around shame, and makes for neat entertaining scenes like the one at the top of the episode. Dunno what else I can do for you there. I don't dislike fanservice at all, naked bodies don't bother me and hey, errbuddy likes titties. I just don't care for uncomfortable attitudes toward women, which is usually what accompanies that fanservice, but so far this show has none of that!

I was more or less speaking from a general POV that for such shows, a reviewer who can appreciate that kind of art (as silly as it sounds) does the review rather than someone who can't stand it. But fair enough and thanks for the response.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:

I was more or less speaking from a general POV that for such shows, a reviewer who can appreciate that kind of art (as silly as it sounds) does the review rather than someone who can't stand it. But fair enough and thanks for the response.

Sure, I agree. In this case though, no one on staff volunteered for the show or had any interest in it, so I took it. Poor thing, no one else wanted it. Razz Good thing I'm enjoying it!
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why everyone makes a big deal about fanservice. We saw some boobs. Oh my god my eyes exploded. Get over it. I'm guessing none of you ever saw Game of Thrones, or anything else by HBO?

If an American company was making this series Tigre would have been shown waking up in the beds of the War Maidens by episode 3 max (with a classic L-shaped bedsheet conveniently showing his abs and covering her chest).

In fact, almost all of the "fan servicey" moments were quite important for the plot to move forward, and not just for teenage boys to masturbate to. The maid's almost-rape showed her peril and the cruelty and barbarity of medieval lords towards subjects. Tigre running into Mila naked showed her difference in personality from Ellen (and future other War Maidens). Since they had to cram 5 books into 13 episodes, they couldn't afford to waste time just to jiggle boobs.

I would have preferred they choose to use the time to show character and relationship development (e.g. Tigre and Ellen go out on a date and bring back a teddy bear for Lim), but that is a minor complaint, and all of you are really making a big deal out of nothing.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I don't get why everyone makes a big deal about fanservice. We saw some boobs. Oh my god my eyes exploded. Get over it. I'm guessing none of you ever saw Game of Thrones, or anything else by HBO?

If an American company was making this series Tigre would have been shown waking up in the beds of the War Maidens by episode 3 max (with a classic L-shaped bedsheet conveniently showing his abs and covering her chest).

In fact, almost all of the "fan servicey" moments were quite important for the plot to move forward, and not just for teenage boys to masturbate to. The maid's almost-rape showed her peril and the cruelty and barbarity of medieval lords towards subjects. Tigre running into Mila naked showed her difference in personality from Ellen (and future other War Maidens). Since they had to cram 5 books into 13 episodes, they couldn't afford to waste time just to jiggle boobs.

I would have preferred they choose to use the time to show character and relationship development (e.g. Tigre and Ellen go out on a date and bring back a teddy bear for Lim), but that is a minor complaint, and all of you are really making a big deal out of nothing.

You are missing the main point behind the 'anti-fanservice' ideas. It's not the fanservice itself, but the way it has shifted importance towards itself with time.
Before, it was yet another device to get a funny situation in the episode. Now, a show isn't complete without showing fanservice.

It's not what's so wrong about it, but how we seem to forget that these anime are supposed to be telling a story, and fanservice will never be anything more than cheap situations to make smth more comercial (and no, I'm not going hipster on your or anything, it's simply how it is as of now).
And they are not important for the plot, not really. We didn't need the maid scene to know what a douche the young lord was (although I don't really consider that scene fanservice o.o), and the shower ones... Elen already made it clear how Vanadis react, I don't think we needed it again, and certainly not with the clichéd "I gave him a reward" situation.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
they couldn't afford to waste time just to jiggle boobs.
You and I have very different ideas of what "wasted time" is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7