• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shojo Beat Adds Hiro Fujiwara's Maid-sama!, Maki Minami's Komomo Confiserie Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
and with a better translation at that.

All that we know so far is that it will be a different translation. We can only hope that it will be better.

Were there problems with the Tokyopop translation for Maid Sama?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
puppy1843e wrote:
and with a better translation at that.

All that we know so far is that it will be a different translation. We can only hope that it will be better.

I just recall Tokyopop translations in general not being the best. Flipping through my volumes of Maid Sama though, there was nothing wrong with the translation quality.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Holy hell am I overjoyed! I snagged all the volumes of Maid-sama! that the anime covered but couldn't bring myself to get 8 because it felt like "what if it never gets completely released"?

I definitely love Viz for this license rescue, and while I usually shy away from re-buying anything I already own, new translations and a 2-in-1 format are appealing (I'm lookin' at you, Loveless). Some omnibuses, while awesome for cutting costs and featuring color pages and/or bigger print size, are terribly uncomfortable to hold while reading, so I'm a big fan of 2-in-1s as opposed to 3-or-more, unless it's something extra special (Yen Press's With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child was brilliant but I don't think it would've found an audience as well with single volumes).
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
OMG! Thank you Viz! I will definitely get both Maid-sama! and Komomo Confiserie.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
I knew Viz would get Maid-sama eventually. It always surprised me that it went to Tokyopop to begin with, considering Viz gets most of the LaLa titles. I'll definitely be buying it, especially since I sold my old Tokyopop volumes. I'll also be buying Komomo Confiserie, since I've been reading the scans and enjoying it. Reading scans just isn't the same as reading an actual book.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Maid-sama being rescued is fantastic news. It's a great series, and I'd love to get the whole thing.

Touma wrote:

Have there been any manga rescues where they kept the translation? There probably has been at some point, but all of the ones that I can think of got new translations (e.g. Love Hina and Cardcaptor Sakura got new translations, and they were rescued by different companies, and neither was rescued by Viz). My guess would be that however the rights to the manga translations are handled, they usually don't come with the relicensed manga (maybe the company that translates them owns the translations?), though in the case of anime, it seems like the rescuer usually is able to get their hands on everything from the previous release, including the dub. So, clearly something different is going on there. But I wouldn't have thought that a manga publisher would redo a translation unless they had to, since that can't be cheap (though it would be a lot cheaper than redubbing an anime).

Regardless, I very much doubt that they're retranslating Maid-sama because they didn't like the previous translation. Figuring out how good or bad it really was would require a translator actually comparing it with the original and doing a good chunk of the work that they'd have to do to translate it in the first place, so they'd probably only redo the translation due to problems with the previous one's quality if it had obviously bad English in it that normal readers would notice, and I don't recall that being the case. They probably simply don't have the rights to the previous translation.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Yay! Maid-sama being rescued is fantastic news. It's a great series, and I'd love to get the whole thing.

Touma wrote:

Have there been any manga rescues where they kept the translation? There probably has been at some point, but all of the ones that I can think of got new translations (e.g. Love Hina and Cardcaptor Sakura got new translations, and they were rescued by different companies, and neither was rescued by Viz). My guess would be that however the rights to the manga translations are handled, they usually don't come with the relicensed manga (maybe the company that translates them owns the translations?), though in the case of anime, it seems like the rescuer usually is able to get their hands on everything from the previous release, including the dub. So, clearly something different is going on there. But I wouldn't have thought that a manga publisher would redo a translation unless they had to, since that can't be cheap (though it would be a lot cheaper than redubbing an anime).

Regardless, I very much doubt that they're retranslating Maid-sama because they didn't like the previous translation. Figuring out how good or bad it really was would require a translator actually comparing it with the original and doing a good chunk of the work that they'd have to do to translate it in the first place, so they'd probably only redo the translation due to problems with the previous one's quality if it had obviously bad English in it that normal readers would notice, and I don't recall that being the case. They probably simply don't have the rights to the previous translation.

Good points! Yen Press used a modified version of Tokyopop's script for the Alice in the Country of Hearts release, but that may have been a special case, with Yen publishing all 6 volumes at once on a tight schedule. I imagine that being able to offer a new translation, regardless of the original translation's quality, is also advantageous in convincing previous readers to re-buy the earlier volumes—that way they know they're getting something at least a little different from what they already had. But several of the Tokyopop series I was following before their demise (including this one) had perfectly fine or great translations, so I don't think it's fair to automatically assume this one will be "better" just because Tokyopop had a somewhat uneven record at times.
AEisMe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm a grown woman and I literally just squealed and clapped my hands when I read this article. I love Maid Sama and haaaaated not having a complete collection. I just wish Viz was releasing them sooner.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I knew Viz would get Maid-sama eventually. It always surprised me that it went to Tokyopop to begin with, considering Viz gets most of the LaLa titles. I'll definitely be buying it, especially since I sold my old Tokyopop volumes. I'll also be buying Komomo Confiserie, since I've been reading the scans and enjoying it. Reading scans just isn't the same as reading an actual book.

Indeed. I've read all my life and while I've discovered a lot of series I now own in print form thanks to scanlations, I could never be happy with the digital format for my collection.
essen12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I have Maid Sama vol 1 - 8 from Tokyopop. (Bought brand new)
I noticed that for Vol 1,4 and 5 the covers are laminated and smooth. Inside they used white paper for the printing and overall the book is heavier than standard manga.
But for Vol 2,3,6,7 and 8 the covers are not laminated and a bit rough. Compared to Vol 1,4 and 5, the covers are a bit yellow-ish. Though the paper used for printing inside is the same ones as other manga such as Naruto.
Anyone has this issue? Please let me know. Thanks !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2