• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Naruto

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Just saw this uploaded... I'll read it when I have time. Wow!
Lusbox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
How you can read an entire volume in 15 minutes is beyond me.
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, covering the enitre pre shippuden series in one day? Impressive. Just you wait for the 200 chapter long fourth Ninja war. You will go crazy. I will read and laugh. It will be awesome.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Lusbox wrote:
How you can read an entire volume in 15 minutes is beyond me.

That averages out to like 90 seconds a chapter, I am skeptical. I'd believe it if it was Bleach but not Naruto..
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Good luck. Because the quality drops on this series are insane.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
and now the divisive years begin.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it was only for one of the volumes, but spoiler[you called Sasuke's brother Uchiha, when it should be Itachi. Uchiha is the name of Sasuke and Itachi clan.]
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It shouldn't be an impossible goal. I read over 1000 chapters of Hajime no Ippo in less than a week, and I wasn't even really marathoning it since I took a ton of breaks and didn't skip sleep or anything
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Good luck. Because the quality drops on this series are insane.
Yep. Kishi's action becomes way too chaotic and unreadable, the story turns to ass, and we get a sequence at the end where Kishi seems to be trying his hardest to create a godawful final villain, decides they aren't bad enough, and makes an even worse one culminating with Kaguya who is easily my least favorite manga villain of all time. That said, final chapter was decent. Not that good, but decent
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Great read! Haters gonna hate, I've always loved Naruto. Sure, it's never high lit and Kishimoto can't write women characters to save his ass, but it's enjoyable and creative and it never stops having crowning moments of awesome (though eventually you start seeing gaps between the good portions of the story, and those gaps start getting longer and the good portions shorter; I'd say it takes its final, mostly-permanent dip in quality around the time the war starts). The manga finally ending is making me all nostalgic, since Naruto was one of my major manga loves all throughout high school and basically kicked off a whole bunch of anime fan milestones for me.

It also has surprising moments of depth to it, borderline genre subversion (Sasuke reversing the usual villain-to-comrade-to-friend Vegeta-style progression), and great use of callbacks and symbolism. My favourite - and it still gets me to this day - is the use of the headbands during that final fight between Sasuke and Naruto in volume 27. In that earlier rooftop fight (before Sasuke leaves), they have a little spat about it, where Naruto tells Sasuke to put his on and Sasuke says Naruto would never be able to scratch his forehead but Naruto insists it's because it represents them fighting as equal Leaf Shinobi (Sasuke stills refuses). Fast forward to the Valley of the End (a translation I always vastly preferred to The Final Valley), and about midway through the fight, Sasuke remembers the headband thing and puts it on to acknowledge Naruto's near-equal fighting...AND THEN AT THE END, Naruto's final hit is a single scratch against the protector. Not only is that a great visual callback offered completely without further dialog commentary, but it also symbolizes Sasuke leaving, since the mark through the village symbol is a sign of the Missing-Nin rogue. I love stuff like that.

Last edited by Krotchstak on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Yep. Kishi's action becomes way too chaotic and unreadable, the story turns to ass, and we get a sequence at the end where Kishi seems to be trying his hardest to create a godawful final villain, decides they aren't bad enough, and makes an even worse one culminating with Kaguya who is easily my least favorite manga villain of all time. That said, final chapter was decent. Not that good, but decent

It DID do the one thing I was hoping for, if admittedly for kinda shallow reasonsspoiler[that Hinata and Naruto DID become a couple. That was something that felt satisfying. I also find it funny how such a HUGE chunk of the fandom, the anime producers, and even colleagues found Hinata to be a better heroine than Sakura. You know you've screwed up when people find the sub-plots and side characters more interesting than the central conflict]
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
You know you've screwed up when people find the sub-plots and side characters more interesting than the central conflict

Though the interesting sub-plots and side characters are kind of a triumph all their own, I think (even if he does seem to lose the ability to create them as reliably post-timeskip; I think only Killer Bee and some of the other Kages really enraptured me like the cast of part one did) - it shows the guy can tell a hell of story, just not a certain KIND of story. Kishimoto works much better on the inter-personal level than he does on the grand scale.

And I'd say the central conflict being as hum-drum as it was only became an issue for a relatively short period of the series.

Last edited by Krotchstak on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jitsch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Jason wrote:
It'd be interesting to read a shonen manga where the main male character's rival is female…

Have you ever tried Kekkaishi? Because it's exactly that. The female character is older and more experienced and the biggest rival of the male protagonist. At least kind of, because he personally is not so much interested in the rivalry and more in getting stronger so he can protect her but...

Yeah, you should try Kekkaishi.

And I know I'm off topic, but I can't really say much about Naruto since I only read a few chapters from the first few volumes. I'm astonished how much you manage to write in between reading the volumes, though.

Last edited by Jitsch on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the current Viz printing of chapter 4, Naruto vows “My dream is to be a better shinobi than Lord Hokage! And then all the villagers will have to acknowledge my existence at last!” But in the very first Viz printing of chapter 4, Naruto vows “All the villagers will have to kiss my ass!”

While I wasn't too hot about some of the technique names in the first four volumes, I loved a lot of the dialog choices.

Also, Jason, if you think the censorship of Rock Lee and the sake is bad, just wait until you get to Shikamaru's smoking.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
it shows the guy can tell a hell of story, just not a certain KIND of story. Kishimoto works much better on the inter-personal level than he does on the grand scale.

And I'd say the central conflict being as hum-drum as it was only became an issue for a relatively short period of the series.

Except the story he WANTED to tell is not the story he is good at. And frankly, grand scale can work with interpersonal relations, in fact it relies on them for a point of reference to anchor the audience. The central conflict was not interesting. While Kishimoto started good, he began stumbling and then limped to the finish line after limping for years. That is never a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5