• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Naruto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well this is an incredibly nostalgic marathon. I remember the Neji fight! And the Rock Lee fight! And that shot with the kunai sinking in the water while Sasuke and Naruto fight!

Honestly despite people's dislike for Naruto, I don't think Naruto did anything wrong. The people who read it just outgrew it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I was talking to a former (Japanese) student of mine last week, who said it's a funny feeling, because reading the new chapter of Naruto has been a weekly ritual for as far back as he can remember. Oh well, there's still One Piece.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I find it interesting that Jason says he's never read Harry Potter. Now I wonder about his reaction to spoiler[ The final chapter of Naruto, which is basically a remake of the final chapter of HP. Everyone had babies with dumb names and the world is perfect now and it's all kind of boring!]

i like the naruto ending.

I think the ending parts are spoiler[Hinata + Naruto. Karin + Sasuke]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I am a nonconformist (but I think that's apparent to anybody who can recognize my avatar), but I will just as often check out mainstream things. If it's a hit with the mainstream, there must be at least one good thing about it. To avoid things because they're popular, I think, is to think yourself better than the people around you. I do not think I am superior in any way to anyone I meet. Hence, I will give both mainstream things and cult stuff a chance. The only fields where you should avoid popular stuff are investment and the stock market.

Well, that and I cannot stand the attitudes some of these art-house people have, like Phil Fish. I admire guys like Ousmane Sembene because he understood mainstream cinema and used its techniques to convey his far-off-the-mainstream ideas and upbringing.

Besides, the director of Guardians of the Galaxy previously wrote for Troma Entertainment, which is clearly underground.

Quote:
I, too, like most humans, desire respect from others, but it sounds egotistical to demand it in those terms. (I do like how it's rewritten a little bit later: “All the people who used to treat me like dirt will have to say ‘He's the number one ninja!’”) Maybe becoming self-sufficient, so that you don't need to care about others’ opinions—or even getting revenge on your oppressors—seems like more interesting motives than having them be all “Wow, Naruto, we respect you, you're the best.”

I think this is exactly why children relate to Naruto so well. They don't yet understand getting something by demanding something and getting something by doing something to earn it. Kids want positive attention and praise (especially kids whose parents have just given birth to a younger sibling). They don't care how they get positive attention and praise. I think it works the same way with Naruto as a character too, showing how immature he is at that point.

Quote:
v.10, p156: Because of a panel on this page, in which Master Ebisu pushes his glasses up on his nose using his middle finger, a furious parent called Viz complain that Ebisu was “flipping off” the reader.

Oh, so Neji has a swastika on his forehead. No wonder he's so angry. Actually, of course, in Japanese it's known as a manji, and this leads into the whole recurring controversy of swastika-like Buddhist symbols used in Japanese pop culture and manga, such as the ninja in YuYu Hakusho or the guy in Blade of the Immortal

I think the Pokémon TCG suffered BOTH of these before Naruto with one of the Sabrina cards for the former and Koga's Ninja Trick for the latter. On the other hand, in One Piece, Viz left in Trafalgar Law's front-and-center ACTUAL bird-flip and never got in trouble. One Piece is unpopular enough with American kids for it to fly under the radar though.

Quote:
Kishimoto (in his author's notes): “I have always thought Japanese naming schemes were cool, so I decided I wouldn't use any weird Western terms or names.” American fans would definitely agree with him. I'm convinced one of the reasons Naruto is more popular than, say, One Piece is that Naruto is about an extremely Japanese subject, ninja. It satisfies American expectations of what a Japanese comic/anime should be about, and the Japanese names are pleasingly exotic to Western readers.

This goes for Bleach too, which is very Japanese and straightforward enough to enter from any point in the series and understand without any knowledge of how anime or manga works. That is, Bleach is the most beginner-friendly manga and anime in a long while, with Naruto not being far behind. In addition, One Piece has a western-influenced art style that turns off a lot of western anime fans, I noticed.

That being said, Kishimoto definitely goes back on that statement when the Cloud Ninja show up.

Quote:
It's like someone who spends hours and hours cooking a delicious meal and then someone comes along and gobbles it up in five minutes.

I think any chef would be flattered if someone ate their food quickly.

bobob101 wrote:
Just you wait for the 200 chapter long fourth Ninja war. You will go crazy. I will read and laugh. It will be awesome.

I'd argue that story is going to be a lot better read all at once rather than bit by bit, once a week, as that will make the pacing feel a lot slower.

vanfanel wrote:
There's no telling how much longer One Piece could go on...but when it does end some day, I think we should stage an intervention if he tries to do something like this again.

Eiichiro Oda has stated that he WON'T do this again. The reason One Piece has such varied story arcs is because he intends to get all of his good ideas out into One Piece and make it his magnum opus, and if he's still alive and still wants to do manga when it's over, he'll stick to small stories that will run for a couple of months at a time.

Oda can certainly afford to live off of One Piece for the rest of his life. Supposedly, he makes the equivalent of US$1.1 million as his annual income because Shueisha absolutely does not want him to leave.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
I dont know if you guys heard but on ign.com there is a topic that Naruto 3 has been announced as manga. It will cover the kids of the main characters. So Naruto wont be done for a while. Starting in 2015.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Have fun Jasonand nice observations. I read the series for 13 years and reread the entire ninja war last week. It took me 20 minutes per Volume. I give Naruto a 7,5/10(very high for endless SJ fodder but the end of the Pain-Arc is where the story took a dive). The ending was nice but only a teaser.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
I've never read Naruto, but reading about your read-through was a lot of fun! I can't wait for Part 2 Very Happy
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
At least part two has with one of my favourite fights of the whole series very early on spoiler[Sakura vs Sasori] hopefully showing Jason that Sakura that his hopes for Sakura weren't in vain. I do wish she was shown this spoiler[strong, consistently, ] through the rest of the series.

Reading this article reminded me how strong the first half of the series was and I loved the trip down memory lane. All in all I think she second half did a good job (though I am only up to where the English release is... well a volume behind as of right now) - I do feel the war arc especially could have played out a little better up to this point but I think after the amount of goodness up to this point it can be forgiven... and I don't think it is as bad as it has been made out to be by some. Flawless, no, perfect, no but is any long lasting series? I don't think so. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the ending to Naruto. It ended as I expected (and hoped, NaruHina ftw!) and I was happy with that. I really enjoyed seeing everyone in the future. Overall it was a great manga that had a great run.

Also, this question just came to mind: spoiler[I wonder how Hidan is doing at the bottom of the Nara Forest? Anime hyper]
LinkSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
-First few lines of article.
-Hipster author confirmed.
-Not bothering with the rest.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
-First few lines of article.
-Hipster author confirmed.
-Not bothering with the rest.

I'm not a fan or Hipsterism myself but really? I thought this was a surprisingly unbiased article and was an enjoyable read.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
He also soon says that he shouldn't be thinking in this way.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Well,Mr. Thompson. Trying to read the whole "Naruto" manga in a week is one heck of a goal. I wouldn't even try it. I'd consider it if it were for some sort of charity,like they used to do for MS research or something like that. I've also got to admit something. Some of the people in "Naruto" are a little strange. At times,it's like a mix of superheroes from our comics and escapees from an old carnival freak show. One of the creepiest villains I ever saw in "Naruto" was in one of the filler episodes.
The guy had a thing for funerals. Don't ask me why,I don't even want to know why myself. I can only assume that the people that he buried in his funerals were most likely victims of his. And,he wasn't even half as creepy as Orochimaru and the Akatsuki. These guys would scare off those like the Joker,the Penguin,Lex Luthor,Poison Ivy,Doctor Doom,the Red Skull,and other supervillains from our comics. As Naruto himself would say,"Believe it!"
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
There's no telling how much longer One Piece could go on...but when it does end some day, I think we should stage an intervention if he tries to do something like this again.

Quote:
Eiichiro Oda has stated that he WON'T do this again.

Nonononono! What I meant was that OP (which is already longer) looks like it still has a looong way to go, and if -- whenever it eventually ends -- Jason attempts to read the whole thing in a ridiculously compressed period of time, an intervention should be held for him.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oda can certainly afford to live off of One Piece for the rest of his life. Supposedly, he makes the equivalent of US$1.1 million as his annual income because Shueisha absolutely does not want him to leave.

Yeah, frankly if Oda gets ANY kind of residuals off of his stuff then that dude must be swimming in cash. The collected volumes are pretty much ALWAYS the top in sales when they come out (for over 70 volumes) and there is a TON of toys, games and other tie-ins. Heck, if he just gets a PENNY off of every licensed One Piece item, then that alone would be worth millions, and I would assume his percentage is more than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5