• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ping Pong, Tokyo Ravens, Puchimas Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Puchimas! maybe if it sells well they finely get Idolmaster
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel like "from the director of Tatami Galaxy!" is all that exciting when we didn't even get a physical release of that in the US. Still, provided I'm not entirely broke, I'll have to pick up Ping Pong, despite having stopped caring about owning DVDs years ago. Maybe if it sells well we'll still have a chance at a Tatami Galaxy DVD / Blu-ray?...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Tokyo Ravens. Not sure about Puchimas, may have to watch 1st episode to decide if it's interesting or not.

I've read the manga version of Tokyo Ravens, so I'm interested in it. The gifs. of Kon totally won me over. Smile
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Splendid, now we have a possible licensor for Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls as well. Funi, it would be a great business decision to take the series, think about it over the holidays.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
they may not be able to because Aniplex
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is good news for me since I want Tokyo Ravens.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Puchimas Home Video Rights
PUCHIMASU

While I'm still pretty mad at them for giving OniAi a sub only release it doesn't really make much sense to only give an English dub to the Chibi spinoff so I can forgive them for this one. And as others have said this could open up the doors for more Idolm@ster stuff being release in the west. I'll gladly import it in the likely event that no one releases it here in Australia.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
How are they going to handle the Mandarin Chinese in Ping Pong?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I'm hopping they just leave those lines intact and add subs, like they did with Sword of the Stranger.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I have no doubt in my mind it'll be treated the same way Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing-'s Russian and Jormungand's Italian were handled. They'll simply hire native Mandarin speakers to play Kong Wenge and his mother and an actor who knows Mandarin as a second language to play his translator.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
So Ping Pong'all be the first (second if you count Kick Heart) Yuasa work available in the US. I'm definitely getting Tokyo Ravens, although i could have sworn that they already had the video rights for it. And even though I'm not an Idolm@ster fan I may get Puchimas if it is cheap. The episodes were oddly addicting.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Cool, Ping Pong! Yeah, lots weren't sure about that one getting released. I heard a lot of good impressions of it so I might get it. Still wish Tatami Galaxy got a release though, it's kind of odd to promote a show by saying "from the creator of Tatami Galaxy!" when most of the people looking at that won't even know what that even is.
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
configspace wrote:

I have no doubt in my mind it'll be treated the same way Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing-'s Russian and Jormungand's Italian were handled. They'll simply hire native Mandarin speakers to play Kong Wenge and his mother and an actor who knows Mandarin as a second language to play his translator.

Is this how they've done it before? I'm surprised that they'd go to the trouble. Typically dubbing studios don't.

I haven't actually finished the show, but IIRC Kong Wenge only speaks Chinese the whole time. I wonder it if would be feasible to get the original audio for his character in this case? I know it's usually too expensive but it's a special case. If they're going to hire someone to dub it in the same language it does seem a little pointless.

In any case, I'll be interested to see how Ping Pong is handled in general; the lip flaps in that show are... different.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sporkaganza wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
configspace wrote:

Is this how they've done it before? I'm surprised that they'd go to the trouble. Typically dubbing studios don't.

I haven't actually finished the show, but IIRC Kong Wenge only speaks Chinese the whole time. I wonder it if would be feasible to get the original audio for his character in this case? I know it's usually too expensive but it's a special case. If they're going to hire someone to dub it in the same language it does seem a little pointless.

In any case, I'll be interested to see how Ping Pong is handled in general; the lip flaps in that show are... different.

Kong switches to Japanese about halfway through the series, so he would need a new actor for the American localization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2