• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Naruto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Oda doesn't even need residuals (and I'm sure he gets them). Considering he spends 20 hours per day working on his manga, I doubt he really spends that much money.

vanfanel wrote:
Nonononono! What I meant was that OP (which is already longer) looks like it still has a looong way to go, and if -- whenever it eventually ends -- Jason attempts to read the whole thing in a ridiculously compressed period of time, an intervention should be held for him.

Ah, that's what you meant. I would definitely agree. A lot of people try to tackle One Piece from the start, and I would always say that's a bad idea unless they have a to of time on their hands. One Piece is the sort of series you can start from the middle and soon understand enough.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
Ew Ace first appeared in Drum Island, a few moments after they entered the Grand Line. According to the Wikia he first appeared in Chapter 154.

It is not even the question when he has appeared, but whether he was real acting character before it was decided that he had to spoiler[die] or not. For example, if Usopp would have to spoiler[die] horrible tragic spoiler[death], then it would be real deal like with spoiler[Jiraya.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Ace was built up to be an important character, and it's made very clear every time he meets up with Luffy that the two of them have a strong familial bond between each other. He's also shown to always be several steps ahead of Luffy, and it was considered a big deal when Ace was captured and arrested. He then becomes the most important character in a major arc, and a rather long one at that, where Luffy goes to hell and back (almost literally) to catch up to him.

Of course, the anime also skips all of the chapter title stories; maybe I just felt Ace to be a minimally-appearing but important-in-the-background character was because of his little story about delivering milk to the Marine base with the bad coffee. It gave some insight into his personality and the sorts of things he does when he's by himself.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Ace was important, but since he was not acting character, readers were not invested in him that much, he was only mentioned before it was decided that he had to spoiler[die]. Again, someone like Usopp spoiler[dying] would do the trick fair and square.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Only mentioned? Luffy met up directly with Ace in Alabasta, he was briefly shown leaving Sand Island, he got his own chapter title page story that lasted for a few months' worth of manga, he was shown hanging out with Whitebeard, and he had a few chapters dedicated to his battle against Blackbeard on Banaro Island before the story arc you mentioned. He wasn't just some one-off character spoken about in legend like Dr. Vegapunk or someone we kept seeing but the story kept distant from like Dragon.
Avanika

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
Even though I am probably extremely late to say this: I loved the review! And you were right- you did miss many explanations here and there about why things were the way that were. I forgot now many of them but one- Deidara's clay- he carried it in his pouch and a few times couldn't attack back because he was running out of it. :p

It wasn't my first manga but the first one which was this long and ongoing. It has it's draw back for sure but for some reason that I never understood the expectations of fans from this manga has been much higher while others get away with a lot. I guess first part made the expectations too high for next 10 years. I also wonder how it would have played out without Sasuke( he is the most directionless Uchiha) as he was added only after being suggested by Editors. And yet his rescue theme gets dragged a little too much. >_>

RestLessone wrote:
I'm finding the commentary and translation/production notes really interesting!

Naruto was my gateway drug, but I stopped following it shortly after getting into manga. I even forgot about some of those villains! And Shino. From time to time, I would go back and look at updates. I remember being baffled by some of his decisions.

I did like the beginning, though. Naruto's world has a really unique feel to it. Sort of forgot that all the female characters had some odd fault that just didn't mesh well with me. That fear of blood, the focus on romantic exploits as a catalyst for character relationships and goals...

As for the ending, I have just one comment for now: spoiler[what's with Ino and Sai? Did they ever show any interest in one another? I know things can happen in a timeskip, but that just feels like pinning two characters together so no one ends up single.]

About the content in the spoiler- yes there were some Sai Ino moments in the manga -spoiler[ She called him a "looker": http://i.imgur.com/2KQHwZd.png
and Sai called her beautiful (leaving Naruto and Sakura completely shocked) when he was introduced to her. Again when trapped by the tree, Ino was dreaming that Sai and Sasuke were fighting over her. ]

Fear of blood was explained and she did recover from it while fighting itself. It wasn't that odd a fault and it was a non factor once she recovered.

Though I am replying an ancient post so you probably already found it out.

MaxSouth wrote:
So, as you see, it is totally understandable that many may not like this manga, despite its virtues; the criticisms are perfectly reasonable and absolutely legitimate. That said, the listed strong aspects of the manga are probably what has made public to rate it slightly better than, for example, Dragon Ball.

I mostly agree with what you said in the rest of the post but saying criticism is perfectly reasonable and absolutely legitimate- that would depend where and whose criticism you are reading. For the me the romantic shippers on internet destroyed the fun.

Krotchstak wrote:
I agree the poor guy was limping for years, but no 70-volume manga is going to be without its pains, and he tells a remarkably coherent, logically-progressing story for a Shonen juggernaut. One Piece may have the benefit of Oda's brilliant flair for visual design and may fit the Shonen clothes more than a bit better, but that Naruto achieved the story it did is really rather impressive.

I like OP and agree it fits in shonnen much better but I could never get into it in the same way as in Naruto or FMA or Hunter x Hunter ( though I wish Togashi was a bit more regular) etc. I don't give much thought to it's characters or reasons by the time next island is sited. Most of them come, tell their tale and then go without affecting me. Not that I cannot see why it's liked by many. It does have a balance of action, comedy and fan service in right proportion along with touching emotional themes without going too deep in it to lose oneself or the main plot.

TheMorry wrote:
I don't know if you guys heard but on ign.com there is a topic that Naruto 3 has been announced as manga. It will cover the kids of the main characters. So Naruto wont be done for a while. Starting in 2015.

I have read that it's called Baruto and it would be monthly and ony a short series. Naruto itself is really over though such short series or the like may go on. Kishimoto said he wanted to write something different but everyone wants Naruto only. Dunno, who is this everyone. I wouldn't mind something different. Even though people wanted more back story and panel times for their favourite side characters it would have only prolonged the part 2 even more. Enough on Ninjas for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5