• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Over the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuzu77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Love how people are lining up to blame Toei despite it being pointed out in the podcast that other licensees who got the same masters were able to produce a release that doesn't have the visual flaws featured in Viz's release.

Some people just don't want to believe that an american licensee can make a mistake on a release.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am assuming that Viz knows that they are going to sell a ton of copies to more casuals fans who might not have issues with video quality.

Sounds like how Funi got away with so many terrible DBZ releases over the years. They know these kinds of shows will do just fine with the casual/non-anime fans who will see this as just a show they grew up with and buy it out of nostalgia.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. There was such a massive influx of new posters during that ANN contest for SM, and you could just feel how many of them weren't constant anime watchers but there only for SM.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I felt like Julie McDonald was being very dodgy and refused to take responsibility for the video errors, even though all the clues point to them for these errors. The video masters are from the 2009 Japanese DVD release, and these errors just "magically" developed these errors when given to Viz Media? AS IF! As if these errors didn't come from the production Viz Media performed and as if this is the best product possible! This ANNCast just made me so mad.
Lainofthenet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I could say a lot of things but I think I will let my pocket talk. I will not be buying this. Zac ...thanks for the heads up ...I had a copy in my hand ...and the review in my head.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
So, what are the chances that Viz released 3 new dub clips in the past couple days just to keep fans happy and distracted from this issue?
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a damn shame Justin Sevakis couldn't work on this set - I think the video I've seen from the BD looks OK, but they could have looked SPECTACULAR. At least in terms of magical girl shows, at least Card Captors Sakura looks spectacular (even if Japan had existing BD masters for it, where that wasn't present in this case).

At the very least the new dub sounds VERY good.

Last edited by FlamingFirewire on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
canceled my preorder of Pt2 and going to wait to see if Viz corrected their problem.

Amara Tenoh wrote:
I felt like Julie McDonald was being very dodgy and refused to take responsibility for the video errors, even though all the clues point to them for these errors.

with you on that one. they dodged more than Little Mac.

Last edited by WitchWatcher on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I've taken the approach that if something doesn't bother me that bothers other fans to not research or think too deeply on it, else I may become dissatisfied as well. I'm no videophile or audiophile, but if I start making it an issue and look for errors then it may start bothering me. And I don't want that. I'd rather be a regular Joe Schmoe in this case.

So I just avoid thinking too much on the negative things, because I want to stay focused on the positive things:
  • The chance to own all seasons of Sailor Moon.
  • Own the earlier seasons of Sailor Moon without paying an arm and a leg ...
  • ... at better quality than ADV's release ...
  • ... with a new, good English dub that's more accurate than the original ...
  • ... in really nice packaging.

All-in-all, it's a win for me. Is it a perfect release? No, but I rarely ever come across a perfect release. But I am very satisfied with it, and there are more positives than negatives.

I can understand the disappointment though, and I'm sorry for those who are bothered by the flaws. It sucks. Hopefully the video quality improves with time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Although I cannot decide if its entirely Viz's fault. If it had been licensed to Sentai or Funimation the transfers would still be bad, so then its Toei's fault. Supposedly they do not take care of their stuff.

True, Toei is infamous for not taking care of its stuff. But most of the fault belongs to Viz because, as Zac said several times, the problems appeared when the company Viz hired authored the discs.

Jeyl wrote:
Is it possible that Toei could be jerking around with VIZ to the point that the studio can't say anything for fear that their license will be pulled or be given an even poorer looking master? This wouldn't be the first time an anime studio has given american distributers subpar masters when much better material exists out there.

This is the only plausible defense for Viz. It would not be surprising if the Japanese side of things forced Viz to release crappy discs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
So, what are the chances that Viz released 3 new dub clips in the past couple days just to keep fans happy and distracted from this issue?

That is precisely what they are doing.

It's a great dub for an otherwise poor product, though. I guess I'll stick to watching SM on Hulu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I've taken the approach that if something doesn't bother me that bothers other fans to not research or think too deeply on it, else I may become dissatisfied as well. I'm no videophile or audiophile, but if I start making it an issue and look for errors then it may start bothering me. And I don't want that. I'd rather be a regular Joe Schmoe in this case.

So I just avoid thinking too much on the negative things, because I want to stay focused on the positive things:
  • The chance to own all seasons of Sailor Moon.
  • Own the earlier seasons of Sailor Moon without paying an arm and a leg ...
  • ... at better quality than ADV's release ...
  • ... with a new, good English dub that's more accurate than the original ...
  • ... in really nice packaging.

All-in-all, it's a win for me. Is it a perfect release? No, but I rarely ever come across a perfect release. But I am very satisfied with it, and there are more positives than negatives.

I can understand the disappointment though, and I'm sorry for those who are bothered by the flaws. It sucks. Hopefully the video quality improves with time.

Thank you for summarizing my thoughts on the matter.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Jeyl wrote:
Is it possible that Toei could be jerking around with VIZ to the point that the studio can't say anything for fear that their license will be pulled or be given an even poorer looking master? This wouldn't be the first time an anime studio has given american distributers subpar masters when much better material exists out there.

This is the only plausible defense for Viz. It would not be surprising if the Japanese side of things forced Viz to release crappy discs.

Toei is very happy with this release (that they sabotaged to dispel reverse importation boogeymen).

Buying anime is getting to be a real headache. There's so many things that go wrong these days.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
So I take it that Viz is downplaying the quality issues that have been brought up and refusing to admit their mistake? Yep, not a good way to treat your customers, let alone care for your anime show, mainstream or no. Neutral
Of course, it wouldn't at all be a surprise that Toei had a hand in how mediocre the visuals looked...

Well, here's hoping someone at Viz will prompt the company to address any quality problems that have been overlooked.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
So is it just the BDs that are poor video quality, or are the DVDs poorly done as well? I would presume so, since the video source / mastering is the same, but just want to be sure in case additional work gets done for the BDs that could have affected the video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8