• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Over the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I mentioned it in an Amazon feedback section.

Whether the fault is VIZ or Toei, being a 16-year Sailor Moon fan, I'm upset either way. First the crappy ADV sets in 2004, now this?! Sad
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd be willing to cut Viz some slack if they didn't release a pillar boxed DVD in 2014 and told people to deal with it.

As for their Canadian streaming plans, they'd likely have better luck encouraging Hulu to region lock shows on an individual basis instead of their blind block. That's about as likely as Canada getting a Hulu equivalent, which is to say, not very.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ReddiShadow wrote:
With that wider, casual audience comes very different expectations and demands. While you or I might want to watch media in their intended aspect ratio without having characters' heads chopped out of frame or have the entire experience reduced to a series of awkward close ups, to Joe and Jo-Ann Public a crappy image that fills the screen is preferable to a good image with black bars on the sides of the screen (apparently horizontal bars for big blockbusters is fine, but vertical bars? Unacceptable, and must be "fixed" by stretching the image out so it looks like complete shit).
Which only makes the pillarboxed DVDs look even dumber, since you can't stretch an already-16:9 pillarboxed image to make the 4:3 area of actual video fill the entire screen. "Let's appeal to casual viewers by preventing casual viewers from watching the way they want to!" Unless there's some kind of "zoom-stretch" feature that I don't know about; I know my TV doesn't have one, but I don't have any Blu-Rays of 4:3 shows to check.

As for the streaming issue, is there no way to license something to, say, CR, exclusively for Canada, so that Hulu can maintain its US exclusivity?
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... this interview was PAINFUL. Zac asked some very good questions, and made very good points, but he was pretty much ignored for most of it. We only got PR-quality answers. They actually expect anyone to believe that the NCOP and NCED came form a DIFFERENT master? But they can't say what that master that is. And what about everyone else who released this on DVD with very good quality, and from the same masters? Where did Italy get these super magical master tapes?

What people seem to be confused here is that the only high quality release the series has ever gotten was from the German DVD release a few years back. Even the Japanese release looks like garbage due to the shit masters Toei gave out.
CorzaMoon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna know why Toei wouldn't give Viz a whole new proper HD resolution scan of the original film... did Viz not offer Toei enough money for that? Why even do this if you're not gonna go all the way?! If it was done properly, I'm sure no one would mine spending the money for the series on blu-ray... but when it's been handled so poorly, it makes me cringe!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Censored manga (Bleach, Yu Yu, I''s Tenjo Tenge, Pokemon, Kinnikuman, Bokurano, countless others...)

Okay, what exactly was censored in the Viz release of the Tenjo Tenge manga? You do know the censored release was from CMX, right?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Fighter4LuvFandubs wrote:
I just wanna know why Toei wouldn't give Viz a whole new proper HD resolution scan of the original film... did Viz not offer Toei enough money for that? Why even do this if you're not gonna go all the way?! If it was done properly, I'm sure no one would mine spending the money for the series on blu-ray... but when it's been handled so poorly, it makes me cringe!

Toei very likely doesn't have the original film. Japanese companies were pretty awful in their upkeep of these types of materials so they are either lost or in such a condition that they are more or less useless.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Censored manga (Bleach, Yu Yu, I''s Tenjo Tenge, Pokemon, Kinnikuman, Bokurano, countless others...)

Okay, what exactly was censored in the Viz release of the Tenjo Tenge manga? You do know the censored release was from CMX, right?

Sorry, you're right, my memory played a trick on me. CMX messed that one up and Viz actually released the uncensored version five years later after acquiring the rights after the former's closure...
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Fighter4LuvFandubs wrote:

Toei very likely doesn't have the original film. Japanese companies were pretty awful in their upkeep of these types of materials so they are either lost or in such a condition that they are more or less useless.

Or it's possible that TOEI didn't want to spend the kind of money needed to retelecine and digitally clean over 150 episodes. I mean we're talking about TOEI here. The company that embodies the motto : do the absolute minimum and even the minimum is too much".
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
12:33 Julie McDonald:

Am I thrilled it’s on Blu-ray, at all? Yes I’m completely thrilled. I love it. I (laughs) these issues don’t trouble me in that way because I don’t consider them to be, any in any way, ah, making the product in any way less. I, I know the love and care that we put into it so, am I happy with it? I am happy with it.

(Apologies if I misheard or the punctuation is weird.)

I listened to this part over and over again trying to understand it.

However, on a non-Sailor Moon note: it's great to hear about the early report of the VIZ survey data regarding demographics with gender being close to a 50/50 split and a broad age range of respondents. Very Happy
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I understand the ghosting, etc complaints, but I really don't understand why the pillarboxing complaining is so loud here. I'd figure on ANN, any fans big enough of anime who want to buy it would want to watch anime in their correct aspect ratio. The DVD's pillarboxing is only a problem if you want to stretch the image. There is zero problem if your TV/player is set in 16:9 mode.

Sure, John Q Public may complain. But I suspect anime fans on ANN are not John Q Public. But maybe I assume too much. Razz
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
I understand the ghosting, etc complaints, but I really don't understand why the pillarboxing complaining is so loud here. I'd figure on ANN, any fans big enough of anime who want to buy it would want to watch anime in their correct aspect ratio. The DVD's pillarboxing is only a problem if you want to stretch the image. There is zero problem if your TV/player is set in 16:9 mode.

Sure, John Q Public may complain. But I suspect anime fans on ANN are not John Q Public. But maybe I assume too much. Razz

Well my first name is Johann, which is the Germanic form of John, so....

Anyway, the reason why pillarboxing DVDs is so bad is that it wastes lines of resolution. Instead of using 640x480 to properly encode 4:3 content, you're effectively using less than that just so that it displays "right" on HDTVs. Or if you want to be less charitable, Viz just downscaled the pillarboxed Blu-ray encode to anamorphic widescreen DVD resolution.

On a DVD player hooked up to a standard definition CRT television, the ideal setting is letterboxing widescreen content so you see the whole picture. But with pillarboxed "widescreen", that looks like SHIT. You then have to "crop" the pillarboxing.

This is not rocket science. Just plain laziness, IMO.
Buster D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
As for Venus Wars, if the Italians got their hands on a 16 mm film version I find it incomprehensible that a Japanese edition does not exist. Maybe the 1989 film was not so successful in Japan after all ?

The reason why it's not even out on DVD in Japan is because Yasu-sensei has said that it's a very "bitter" ("苦い") work of his and he doesn't want it out on DVD:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ヴイナス戦記#.E3.82.A2.E3.83.8B.E3.83.A1.E7.89.88
Quote:
非常に苦い作品なんでDVDとか一切出ていない。僕が『いやだ』って言うんで出ていないんです

I believe I've read somewhere that the main character being voiced by a Johnny's idol is also a factor.

Thankfully it was easy enough for me to create my own custom BD using the video from the Italian BD slowed down to 1080p23.976 and PCM from the JP LD (was going to use the subtitles from the US DVD but it's an old Nadelman script with tons of mistakes and missing lines).
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
I guess it sucks, but after so many years waiting I'll take what I can get. Viz doesn't have a history of quality video releases so my expectations were low to begin with. This doesn't excuse them and I don't like their evasiveness in this interview. That said, my main concern now is that this will hurt sales enough that they don't release the whole series. I want a legit copy of Stars so bad.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
Here's a link to an Amazon.com review that I think is good, and has some good comments. (Unfortunately, you have to cut-and-paste the URLs since they aren't links.)

Customer Review — Sailor Moon by Viz, a complete and utter disaster., November 7, 2014:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R123Y8PP112G85/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8